• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Common XP issue and maintenance!!

Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)
M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
check your spindle bushings. just had to replace 4 spindles on 2 xps with 1500km if yours arent toast already pull out the pin and throw some grease on it and put it back in. do this every season or tap a grease nipple into the spindle.

T
Jan 3, 2008
nelson bc
2008 154 set up.

o8 154 set up
-gearing -20-45
-primary clutch- 2 sizes steeper on the stock ramps and bigger rollers
-starter gear REMOVED
-flow rights vents in the back of the air box by the fuel tank
-put on a stinger or can, get rid of suitcase
- pull cord and hold on ;)

YOUR WELCOME.!

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
How do you check ski alignment?

I get a nice straight 2x4 from a lumber store, set it up against your track, line up your left ski to your 2x4, then adjust your handlebars to your left ski., then the right ski to your left ski... DONE. Elevate the skis when aligning just the skis to each other, the rest can be done on the floor.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
09 xpx

anybody else with recoil problems? i only have 130 miles on mine and for the first time last night i went to pull the rope and clack. the finger is slipping past the cup. weird or common warranty issue

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
anybody else with recoil problems? i only have 130 miles on mine and for the first time last night i went to pull the rope and clack. the finger is slipping past the cup. weird or common warranty issue

Check the bolts to make sure its mounted to the motor nice and snugg, if not it can slip fairly easily. I don't imagine it needs to be cleaned already?

D

depsnolvr

Nov 26, 2007
Just another reminder to check the motor mounts. just pulled my motor and the rear pto mount was broken at each end. The tabs just cracked off??????

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton

I had the same problem. I pulled the recoil, and wiped all the excess grease off and it works great now.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
I heard that the 08's had an issue with the secondary jackshaft breaking. If I was to buy a used 08 how does a person tell if the jackshaft is the updated one.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I heard that the 08's had an issue with the secondary jackshaft breaking. If I was to buy a used 08 how does a person tell if the jackshaft is the updated one.

WOW! never heard about that one.. are you sure it's not the drive shaft?

I agree about the spindle bushings. They are not greased from the factory, and are not a warranty item, but a WEAR item.$$$$

Last edited:

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
08 PTO bearing out due to crank wobble

Crank lash should be no more than .oo1 on pto. Just found this problem after two clutch rebuilds & a crank bearing. Feel that it was brought on by the early belt problems [blowing up heat etc.] It's always good to replace before they blow! ALL work done by dealer which some fault lies with them for not checking the lash. Its easy with a dial indicator.
NOW GET THIS!!! Ski doo warrantied the eng. Now thats where the rubber meats the road, a company behind there product, customer and dealer! Also I had no mods, used ski doo oil [which is probably the best out there. also rotax engs. DO NOT LIKE AMSOIL SORRY I've seen the damage.] had the dealer as my advocate,and did't lie to ski doo. THATS good advertising! THANKS SKIDOO.

One real satisfied customer
mrsnow

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Engine won't start

Ran into an interesting problem with our 2009 Hillclimb... trying to start all we would get would be a back fire or a couple of revs and then die. After a while it finally started but got the "beep" of reverse... figured it out that the engine was trying to start in reverse... pulled the lefthand switch apart and found a little water... switch was shorting out... disconnected the switch, pulled the recoil.. and ran like a top for the rest of the day

So anyway dried it all out and it is fine now.. thought would share as a FYI

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
Ran into an interesting problem with our 2009 Hillclimb... trying to start all we would get would be a back fire or a couple of revs and then die. After a while it finally started but got the "beep" of reverse... figured it out that the engine was trying to start in reverse... pulled the lefthand switch apart and found a little water... switch was shorting out... disconnected the switch, pulled the recoil.. and ran like a top for the rest of the day

yup happend on a friends o9. except his would go into reverse while he was driving....only at certain speeds or rpm because there is a govoner for going into reverse while driving. but was that ever interesting trying to get it home.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada

Saw the same thing on my friend's sled...

Also an '09... Hmmmm?

Anyways, got it back to the trailer, cranked the heat up overnight to dry it out, gave it a shot of WD 40 in the morning, and it hasn't happened since... :roll::roll::rockon:

A
Apr 15, 2009
Hey guys,

I just got a 09 summit 163. I have noticed a little bit of sag in the rear suspension. Is that a pretty common problem? Are there any good fixes, short of replacing the rear suspension.

Thanks

I got the bigger springs and just replaced those and it doesnt sag, just put it on the 5 setting and ur good

A
Nov 21, 2008
ivgot 3300 very hard kms on my 08 xp and its been amsoil interceptor since day one. stock motor and still runing strong.

B
Feb 4, 2010
Secondary clutch side,jackshaft bracket

Gooday fellow XP owners:

Coming to you from Edmonton AB,Canada.I just checked out my Sleddin buddies '08 XP.He called me up to survey the damage from his last trip.The bracket that mounts the jackshaft bearing right behind the secondary clutch pulley broke at the bolt mount on one side and ripped the bolt through the tunnel on the other side.
I have heard of two other cases of the same failures.At one of our local mod shops I picked up a brace that mounts at the L-front shock tower and to the top of this bracket.(Looks like a mini tie-rod) I Think it is a SLP product. This will suport the forward transfer load on the secondary clutch and it should prevent this type of failure.I bought us both one,I will be instaling it before my next trip.
Anyone else had this problem ?

Keep reachin for the top!

Hitman450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2010
Belle Fourche, S.D
My buddies 2009 everest 800 has been runnung like crap. It will run pretty good most of the day. It has a bad bog when you need the power the most. weve changed the belt put new plugs in and that helped for a bit. but will eventually keep bogging. It has only like 800 miles on it. any suggestions would helpfull on what to do.

Premium Features