• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Husky FC 450 w/ 2018 ARO 120.... a few questions

R
Nov 16, 2016
Thanks to all of you who helped me with my questionis on my other thread!

This is a 2017 Husqvarna FC 450, so it was never equipped with Head or Tail lights.
It has never seen the dirt. Tires/wheels, chain, mono-shock, all dirt bike items, etc are all Un-Used!

I have added an LED head lamp, but would also like to install a tail/brake light!

As you know, the right side master cylinder is now set up for the track brake, and does not have a brake light switch incorporated.

Question # 1:
What are my options (if any) for a brake light switch?

Question # 2:
If I am able to add a tail/brake light, what LED light are you guys using?

Question # 3:
This bike is equipped with the Fox shocks...... a Trio front Shock and a TSS rear Air Shock
I tip the scale at about 190 lb.
I will not be a super aggressive rider!
What pressures should I shoot for the Trio and the TSS?

Question # 4:
This bike will remain a snow bike (I have a TE 300i for the dirt).
I have the brand new O-ring chain that came with the FC, and I'd like to eventually use on the 300i.
I may need to add a few links to it, however, I'm being informed that I cannot buy just a few links of this chain!
Is this true?????
If not true, where can I purchase a few links only?

Questions # 5 and # 6:
The FC 450 is equipped with MAP selector and TC.
a..... Does the TC even function with the ARO system???
b.... What mode should I be using for either MAP selection or TC ????

Over the years I've owned many snowmobiles..... the most recent is my 2020 850 Summit X.
However, this is my first Timbersled, so hopefully you can understand why I'm asking these questions.

Thanks in advance!

traction control.jpg Husky 2 .jpg Husky 1.jpg

A
Nov 14, 2017
Question # 1:
What are my options (if any) for a brake light switch?
- There is probably some sort of option out there somewhere, as there is a street legal version of this bike. Honestly I think it would be a waste of time and money. I have never seen anyone with a functioning brake light before and I dont think it would be terribly helpful. Keep in mind that you are on snow. So when you are on the gas the person behind you can see a plume of snow spray and hear your motor blasting (these things are loud). When you are off the gas there is less roost and little noise. Lots of times you dont even need the brake as the bike just slows down naturally due to the friction of the snow.

Question # 2:
If I am able to add a tail/brake light, what LED light are you guys using?
- Some of my buddies have added a tail light. I think it is just a basic 12v marker light they put under the rear fender. Unlike the brake light, I do think this has some usefulness, as I guess it might let people see you through the plume when they might not otherwise? It hasn't impressed me enough to get one.

Question # 3:
This bike is equipped with the Fox shocks...... a Trio front Shock and a TSS rear Air Shock
I tip the scale at about 190 lb.
I will not be a super aggressive rider!
What pressures should I shoot for the Trio and the TSS?
- Cant really help much with this one, other than to say I weigh 180 and I put my TSS to the max every time. If I dont, I find the bike trenches more.
- I dont have the Trio so cant help

Question # 4:
This bike will remain a snow bike (I have a TE 300i for the dirt).
I have the brand new O-ring chain that came with the FC, and I'd like to eventually use on the 300i.
I may need to add a few links to it, however, I'm being informed that I cannot buy just a few links of this chain!
Is this true?????
If not true, where can I purchase a few links only?
- Do yourself a favor and buy a sport bike chain. These things are hard on chains for some reason. My crew buys a heavy duty chain that is made for a sport bike, with the rivet links. Don't over tighten it. Then you can relax and not worry about the chain breaking. I carry a spare chain and chain breaker with extra clip link anyways. If I were you I would have a spare belt either at the truck or packed nicely somewhere.

Questions # 5 and # 6:
The FC 450 is equipped with MAP selector and TC.
a..... Does the TC even function with the ARO system???
- Turn it off
b.... What mode should I be using for either MAP selection or TC ????
- You should be running an ECU for snow. I was told to always run map 2 with my C3 snow ECU

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Check your state regulations on snowmobiles. Most states (like Idaho) require all snowmobiles to have a working headlight and a taillight. This goes on snow so it is considered a snowmobile. A bunch of folks don’t pay attention but be prepared if you get stopped. You can replace the bolt that attaches the brake line to the brake assembly at the rotor with a sending unit bolt. There are 2 different thread types. One for European bikes and one for Japanese bikes. It has 2 wires attached that has one for the ignition (for power) and the other goes to your new taillight for the brake light side of the bulb. The other side of bulb will be fed by your headlight source of power.
Having a taillight is good for both you and the person coming up from behind on the trail and is trying to figure your intentions. Bikes are always a bit slower on the trails. Good luck and enjoy!

R
Nov 16, 2016
AllHatNoCattle,

# 1............ When we take a "new-be" out, we always explain that one of the most common accidents involves the guy behind running into the rider in front of him...... snowmobile or snowbike.
I'm thinking that it is a requirement in some states.
None-the-less, I do want to install a tail/brake light on this Timbersled!

# 2 ........... see above.

# 3 ......... thanks.

# 4 ........ the question was regarding buying a few extra "like" chain links so that this "new" chain can be used on my TE 300i.
As for the belt comment...... what belt are you referring to?

# 5 and # 6: ........ I will further investigate..... thank you!

TreewellDweller,
I was thinking the same thing regarding a tail/brake light being a requirement. I don't need a citation for non-compliance.
And I agree..... it's a good idea to have a tail/brake light for safety reasons. We occasionally do some night riding during our stay at a destination area...... so head and tail lights are a must have!

As for the hydraulic brake line fitting...... that would be a banjo style fitting. If there is one available that includes an "open/closed" pressure switch, I'll do that.

Thank you!

A
Nov 14, 2017
I never thought about the rules/regulations part. Where we are in Canada this doesn't come up with the fish cops. They just want to see your registration and make sure you arent riding on the road. I think they are also looking for people who have been drinking, but that's not a problem for me because I get stuck enough without booze.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
You are correct, the bolt that goes through the banjo fitting at the brake caliper is what needs to be replaced and has the open/closed pressure switch.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Treewelldweller, I just re-read your posts from Monday and Tuesday evenings.

Monday ......... You can replace the bolt that attaches the brake line to the brake assembly at the rotor with a sending unit bolt. There are 2 different thread types. One for European bikes and one for Japanese bikes. It has 2 wires attached that has one for the ignition (for power) and the other goes to your new taillight for the brake light side of the bulb. The other side of bulb will be fed by your headlight source of power.

Tuesday ....... You are correct, the bolt that goes through the banjo fitting at the brake caliper is what needs to be replaced and has the open/closed pressure switch.

Are you suggesting that there is a banjo bolt (sending unit bolt) that would include the brake-light switch????
If so, thank you......... and where would I find this special banjo bolt????

This snowbike sits in my garage. As you know, I have not ridden it yet, and won't be able to until next winter.
It's killing me !!!!!!

Last edited:
R
Nov 16, 2016
No luck on the switch style banjo bolt. The dealer would need to order one in for me.

So, I'm searching on line for a suppler.

Any leads or ideas would be appreciated.

My local Husky dealer did have a few extra chain links so that the new FC 450 chain can be used on my TE 300.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
No luck on the switch style banjo bolt. The dealer would need to order one in for me.

So, I'm searching on line for a suppler.

Any leads or ideas would be appreciated.

My local Husky dealer did have a few extra chain links so that the new FC 450 chain can be used on my TE 300.
Go to Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and search for ”brake banjo bolt”. I believe it is the Brembo bolt for ktm & husky.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Treewelldweller, I did end up getting one from Rocky Mountain.

Got it installed, wired up and all is good.
I now have a new LED head light, a LED tail light and a brake light.

Premium Features