• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can I still ride tomorrow? Clanking Recoil....

C
Apr 9, 2008
Castlegar, BC
Fired up the sled today for a check up before tomorrows ride, I heard some noises last ride and wanted to check on things... fired it up and heard crazy clanking pinging sounds and got pretty worried. It was also the first time my pull cord pulled put with no tension, so I opened the right side panel and the sound got louder, so I'm thinking recoil problems, not engine issues. :eek:

I really want this ride tomorrow (up Russell in the Vallhallas)! but can I wreck my engine with a loose bolt or something? It definatly sounds like something is bouncing around in there, can it get "in" my bottom end or is the starter a sealed little box. The sled is still starting fine, the recoil just misses the odd time.

Tell me it's fine so I can go giver'! :D :beer;

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
The noise is probably the stupid keeper nut that holds everything on the post on your recoil, the keeper nut is now bouncing around in there hitting the flywheel and starter hub and it will eventually get into your stator and take it out too.

pauly-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
SILVER STAR,MT
recoil

had one go bad on a 02 800 doo,took out the stator,then we had to pull the sled out with a POLARIS..the owner of the polaris keep saying"polaris the way out"it was that day.cost me a few extra $ to to get the stator and recoil fixed.hate to miss a day of ridding,but might cost you more $ if you go and might have to find "a way out"..russel lake will wait for you..we were up there in feb with crazy dan..great place...

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Take the recoil off and use your elec. start.:D

I mean your emergency start rope and plastic thingy, pain in the butt, but you'd be able to ride without losing the stator and possibly having afformentioned scenario happen.:beer;:eek::beer;

Good reason not to ride with POO riders.(Happened to me a couple times, sux)
Seen it vice versa to, Poo cranks.:D:face-icon-small-win.

Last edited:
Premium Features