• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Exhaust options

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
So I am picking up an 850 Matryx and and researching mufflers and cans. I have dug through several threads about exhaust and it generally is "I love mine." I'm interested in people's opinion that have run more than one brand or have heard different brands together.

Currently, we're running 2 AXYS 850's. One with an SLP Picnic'r and the other with a Jaws Trail Can. I like the low end and mid range sound of the Jaws but it gets a little ear piercing in pitch at WOT. Conversely, I'm looking for something with a little more "presence" then the SLP.

I've never heard in person a GGB, MBRP, HPS, etc.

The sound I'm looking for is a full deep aggressive tone. Can be louder then stock but I don't full race can sound. Something in the middle is great.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So I am picking up an 850 Matryx and and researching mufflers and cans. I have dug through several threads about exhaust and it generally is "I love mine." I'm interested in people's opinion that have run more than one brand or have heard different brands together.

Currently, I'm running 2 AXYS 850's. One with an SLP Picnic'r and the other with a Jaws Trail Can. I like the low end and mid range sound of the Jaws but it gets a little ear piercing in pitch at WOT. Conversely, I'm looking for something with a little more "presence" then the SLP.

I've never heard in person a GGB, MBRP, HPS, etc.

The sound I'm looking for is a full deep aggressive tone. Can be louder then stock but I don't full race can sound. Something in the middle is great.

Any thoughts?
HPS sounds like what you want.

They have been deeper in tone and similar overall noise level as slp in all applications i’ve run them on.

They also test the cans well before selling them.

SLP is usually higher pitched and tinny.
Diamond S is very similar sounding to SLP.

GGB often has random bogs, poor craftsmanship, runability issues.

MBRP starts off with good sound but blows out quickly and becomes ear bleeding.

Just general profiling.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
MBRP and GGB are the same with different names I am told. You can confirm that. Never had an issue with SLP except the fitment could be slightly better as it rubs on my bumper slightly. And yes I did add the update washers. I actually had to come up with my own fix but this can is worth it. Runs so good.

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
I have ran GGB, Jaws, SLP, Bikeman and am currently running an MBRP trail on my 850. I like it the best overall. It has good fit/finish and great sound. Not to loud when on the trail but a nice bark when you get on it. My GGB on my 800 fits like crap but I have no issues with how the sled runs. I do not believe MBRP and GGB are the same. They looks totally different.

jh7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 2, 2023
ND/MT
Not apples to apples since my experiences have been on Ski-Doo vs Polaris but here have been my impressions:

Bikeman Full Velocity (800 e-tec): Louder than stock at idle, tinny sound at WOT. Fit was good, finish was better than GGB.
GGB Trail (800 e-tec): About as loud as the Bikeman at idle, nice tone at WOT, not overly loud. Fit was good, finish was not great, started showing rust after the first year. Also seemed to get progressively louder quickly.
HPS (850 e-tec): Deep, throaty sound at idle, nice tone at WOT, I'd call it the perfect middle of the road sound-level wise. Definitely adds enjoyment to riding, but isn't obnoxiously loud or gives me a headache at the end of the day. Have received a couple comments from others that they love the sound of this one. A friend had one on an 800 e-tec, and that one seemed louder than the one on my 850. Fit and finish are both excellent. Isaac at HPS has also been outstanding when it comes to customer support and answering questions.

I have the most seat time with the HPS, but I've been completely satisfied with it, and will stick with them going forward.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Highly recommend buying a baffled can over one with packing that will blow out after 1 season.

Which ones I listed are baffled and which are packed? I believe the HPS is a hybrid of both but it's the only one I can find any specifics on.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
You would be happy with HPS.
Sounds very good and not overly loud.

Only thing I have noticed since putting it on mine is I may have to add a little weight to my clutch. I’m lower elevations though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DuncanSteel

Banned
Nov 8, 2022
Alaska
I have ran GGB, Jaws, SLP, Bikeman and am currently running an MBRP trail on my 850. I like it the best overall. It has good fit/finish and great sound. Not to loud when on the trail but a nice bark when you get on it. My GGB on my 800 fits like crap but I have no issues with how the sled runs. I do not believe MBRP and GGB are the same. They looks totally different.
Ill second that, thought my MBRP trail sounded real good but wasn't ear piercing

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I am running a Diamond S on my Boost and a SLP on my 850. They will remain my go to exhaust choices.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
I prefer DIamond S due to weight reduction & close to stock sound. The owner stands behind the product as well if there is any issues with build quality.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I prefer DIamond S due to weight reduction & close to stock sound. The owner stands behind the product as well if there is any issues with build quality.
Except they don’t actually.

They will charge you to fix the cracked out Ti and charge you for shipping again after you pay to ship it to them.

I got an axys 850 ti diamond s can given to me because it was going to be around $350 in shipping and repair costs……..

After 500 miles of use…….

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Except they don’t actually.

They will charge you to fix the cracked out Ti and charge you for shipping again after you pay to ship it to them.

I got an axys 850 ti diamond s can given to me because it was going to be around $350 in shipping and repair costs……..

After 500 miles of use…….

Yikes that unfortunate to hear. I stand corrected then. Ti can be tricky to weld but charging to repair poor build quality is not cool. Might rethink my next can purchase now.

bwmech

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2018
Check out the SPI (straightline performance) works very good and has just the right exhaust note.

Last edited:

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
63 miles on new can, runs great, then a
Shed got in the way and we had to lash that to the new sled:))

587F9D4E-FB56-416A-9678-29008BED7CFE.jpeg 823D4C51-9CBE-4514-8338-E81DB4F86373.jpeg 08D89130-2059-4228-8F4C-6E0F5BC40B52.jpeg

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I usually have only ran SLP cans on my Polaris machines since they have always seemed to be the most honest IMO about them. You lose some weight and that’s the real gain in performance. My dealer had a Bikeman trail can in stock when I picked up my Matryx 850 so I thought I’d try it. On the mountain in the trees it’s not too bad until you have to pull on a ski. Riding it around home I’ve actually gotten tired of it and I’ll be putting an SLP on for next season.

If you can stay on the throttle and are at higher RPM it’s pretty loud and apparently they make an even lighter louder version which just seems stupid. This is an official post of getting older I guess. My buddy and I even opted for the “quiet” cans on our MTN TEK turbos when we built them. Kinda getting off track there….

2022 Matryx Boost. What do people think? My local Polaris shop did the fuel pump/filter change, and I put the Diamond S can on the same day I brought it home from the shop. The first rip I did on it down the street it had a bog at 5000 RPM to 6200 RPM. Have ridden it a number of times down in the mountains and that bog at the same RPM's is always there. Talk about a pain the ass sidehilling in the trees. Do people think it is the fuel pump/filter or the can? Thanks

Premium Features