• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'24 brake lever free play

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I put a heated Skinz brake lever on my wife's 24 thinking that would work since it is adjustable - it ain't THAT adjustable. Still too much free play, still hitting the backs of her knuckles before the brake even starts to engage. Gotta have all fingers on the brake or you have no brake. Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Tjtwenty

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2016
I received my new master cylinder for a 23 and installed it today. It's much better now, but still not as touchy as a 22 or 23. I believe the caliper is also different on the 24 and that might be why. Overall, I'd say it's about half way between the feel of a 23 and 24 which I think I'll be satisfied with

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My 24 sucks. Have to run it with 2 finger and then you don't have a decent grip. I am going to move it in as far as i can get it and see. My finger hits in notch, which is perfect if they hadn't screwed up a perfectly good brake. You legitimately can't lock up the brake grabbing there now. You have to grab farther out.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My 24 sucks. Have to run it with 2 finger and then you don't have a decent grip. I am going to move it in as far as i can get it and see. My finger hits in notch, which is perfect if they hadn't screwed up a perfectly good brake. You legitimately can't lock up the brake grabbing there now. You have to grab farther out.
Get a 3D Logik brake lever with the shorty.

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
I find the brake on my '24 is pretty good, doesn't feel spongy. It is significantly better than my 2020 expert.

My only issue with it is how difficult it is to put the parking brake on when in the trailer/truck. None of the other polaris' in my group are that difficult.

C
Dec 15, 2017
My brake on my 24 9r is the worst brake I have ridden with since my 96 phaser.
I bought the 3d logik lever and that helped but it's still terrible. I'm looking into purchasing a 23 or 22 master cylinder to fix it. Pretty disappointing for a brand new sled.

C
Dec 15, 2017
I received my new master cylinder for a 23 and installed it today. It's much better now, but still not as touchy as a 22 or 23. I believe the caliper is also different on the 24 and that might be why. Overall, I'd say it's about half way between the feel of a 23 and 24 which I think I'll be satisfied with
What did the new master cylinder set you back ballpark?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My brake on my 24 9r is the worst brake I have ridden with since my 96 phaser.
I bought the 3d logik lever and that helped but it's still terrible. I'm looking into purchasing a 23 or 22 master cylinder to fix it. Pretty disappointing for a brand new sled.
24 9r brake sucks. 24 boost is a touch better but sucks. Completely ruins riding in trees. Just about over polaris junk. I don't see what a 23 master cylinder does unless changes the throw but seems like it's at the caliper. Definitely need two sleds when riding polaris. Maybe three. Had 2 polaris side x sides,this fall, and both broke. Had to walk 7 miles to the truck.

C
Dec 15, 2017
24 9r brake sucks. 24 boost is a touch better but sucks. Completely ruins riding in trees. Just about over polaris junk. I don't see what a 23 master cylinder does unless changes the throw but seems like it's at the caliper. Definitely need two sleds when riding polaris. Maybe three. Had 2 polaris side x sides,this fall, and both broke. Had to walk 7 miles to the truck.
I think some of the issue is with the plunger and the tolerance between it and the brake lever. Hoping a different one would help.

Tjtwenty

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2016
Not bad at all for not smacking a tree because the brake takes so long to actuate.
It's not a fix all. But it is an improvement. I also run a tki shorty lever with crf handlebars so I can scoot the master cylinder inwards a lot farther. The caliper I think is the bigger culprit as it seems they've made it so the pads retract and have too far to travel to achieve braking.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Not bad at all for not smacking a tree because the brake takes so long to actuate.
Already smoked into some trees because of it. Besides the throw it doesn't lock up like 22 or 23. Just flat sucks. My daughter's catalyst has same brake and it's great. They completely keep taking the wheel, that you thought science was settled, and make it square. I guess you expect more. Like my old boss said "one god Dammit cancels out every adda boy you ever had.

Premium Features