• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'24 brake lever free play

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Got my 24 9R Pro on Friday, and while setting up the controls I realized something changed from 22/23.

The new brake lever design (and/or master cylinder plunger design) now have significantly more free play before the brake is fully engaged and bottomed out. So much more free play, that the lever hits my other knuckles on the grip (no gloves) when I pull with a single finger.

Maybe this is the idiot proofing step taken by the lawyer-engineers overreacting to the previous stop ride brake stuff, and my first reaction is that it sucks.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I just ordered a shorter aftermarket lever in hopes of improving the situation.

T
Sep 10, 2009
You are correct, it is part of their updates to prevent brake fires… and it sucks. I put on a 3d logic brake lever but it doesn’t really do much since it’s the free travel before it’s engaged. First ride out I had a few oh **** moments because I was used to the 22-23 brakes which were incredible.

J
Nov 13, 2015
Sweden
Same experience for me!, I do have a 3D Logic adjustable lever, but it has to be adjusted so far out that its not good. But I prefer it to the crazy brake software stuff I have on my 2022.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Fair about the flash and the ECU's reaction to brake drag, but I didn't experience any issues with that personally.

Not having a functioning brake (if it hits your knuckles before it fully engages) feels a lot more dangerous to me than dragging it like an idiot and starting a brake fire.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
my '24 is no where like that. the lever has just a little more travel than my '23. no issues here

maybe your system needs to be bled??

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
my '24 is no where like that. the lever has just a little more travel than my '23. no issues here

maybe your system needs to be bled??
That's part of why I'm asking about whether others are experiencing the same issue. If a bleed solves it, I'm golden.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
So I'm onto my next hypothesis here... many sleds were built months ago, like mine, which the sticker says was built on 8/29, delivered to dealer in November. They were sitting around waiting for a part or two (likely a primary spider). During most/all of that time, and during transit, the handlebars were likely folded down into their transport position under the white wraps. Also during that time a lot of air got into the line from having the master cylinder upside down and below the highest point where the brake line runs before dropping behind the steering post. So now many of them likely need a bleed, and mine didn't get one before I took delivery and now needs to happen.

Serious question about the hayes caliper design: why is the bleed valve fitting directly on top of the pads? If any brake fluid comes out it's going to flow right down onto the pads and disc. At least on the brembo/magura dirt bike brakes they figured out that the valves should be better located so the fluid doesn't flow directly onto the pads.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Good hypothesis but, I buy 1 and 2 year holdover sleds about every other year. They set for a year or more and I have not needed to bleed the brake.
Now, the new brake might be different.

F
Dec 30, 2019
Yes my wife's '24 definitely has more freeplay in the lever than my '23. I read or heard somewhere that it was intentional by Polaris.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Yes my wife's '24 definitely has more freeplay in the lever than my '23. I read or heard somewhere that it was intentional by Polaris.
I think it's twofold, brake lever/plunger design and bleeding. After I bleed it I'll know for sure.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
There is a new brake disc too. Is it just thinner than the old disc to give more clearance?

Interesting... though, wouldn't the self adjusting master just take up that extra clearance, like it does as the pads wear? I'd guess the extra free throw is designed into the calliper or master.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon

Too many were complaining of zero free play and filing their levers down. Polaris is chasing all kinds of brake "chatter" lol. Happy to see them attempt some mechanical solutions rather than software at least.

I wish we had a lever with adjustable throw and bite point, I don't think it's possible for a static lever that meets everyones preference and hand size.

F
Dec 30, 2019
Too many were complaining of zero free play and filing their levers down. Polaris is chasing all kinds of brake "chatter" lol. Happy to see them attempt some mechanical solutions rather than software at least.

I wish we had a lever with adjustable throw and bite point, I don't think it's possible for a static lever that meets everyones preference and hand size.

The '23 is definitely very firm. Almost on/off like, with not much feel.

I agree. Being 5'-6" with fairly small hands and with a MX/MTB background , I'm pretty particular about controls. Wish there were more adjustable options out there.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I agree. Being 5'-6" with fairly small hands and with a MX/MTB background , I'm pretty particular about controls. Wish there were more adjustable options out there.

I hear that. MX/MTB is my background as well. On the sled, bar setup and controls is my number one upgrade, I just can't get comfortable with the oem setup out of the box.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
So today our dealer checked all the 24 matryx sleds in stock, and all have over an inch of travel in the brake lever before full engagement.

It's not just me...

Premium Features