• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost Bog

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Brand new boost. first ride. deep snow, 3ft of fresh. pretty light for sierra standards

after taking it easy for a while, started riding it like normal. running in ethanol mode.

This thing would bog on right turns in the deep. Only when the exhaust was buried.
I read and heard about this, but it sounded like it was not that much of an issue.
Well, for me it was. it would steadily loose rpm down to about 6500. caused me to get stuck on a simple turn, simply because there was no power.

as the day went on, it seemed to get better. I did switch to non-ethanol mode because I run non-eth fuel. I don't know if the switch made any difference, maybe it did??‍♂️

any thoughts or ideas on how to minimize/eliminate this bog??

is this common? I hope not. I thought the boost was the deep snow weapon. Not so much if it can only do left turns. ??

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Brand new boost. first ride. deep snow, 3ft of fresh. pretty light for sierra standards

after taking it easy for a while, started riding it like normal. running in ethanol mode.

This thing would bog on right turns in the deep. Only when the exhaust was buried.
I read and heard about this, but it sounded like it was not that much of an issue.
Well, for me it was. it would steadily loose rpm down to about 6500. caused me to get stuck on a simple turn, simply because there was no power.

as the day went on, it seemed to get better. I did switch to non-ethanol mode because I run non-eth fuel. I don't know if the switch made any difference, maybe it did??‍♂️

any thoughts or ideas on how to minimize/eliminate this bog??

is this common? I hope not. I thought the boost was the deep snow weapon. Not so much if it can only do left turns. ??
First ride on my boost today too, was really bad doing any right side hills or really any right sided carves. Snow is deep right now too. Mine also did get better throughout the day after a few hours on the sled but sure annoying. Wondering if any aftermarket can will be better with flow?

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
First ride on my boost today too, was really bad doing any right side hills or really any right sided carves. Snow is deep right now too. Mine also did get better throughout the day after a few hours on the sled but sure annoying. Wondering if any aftermarket can will be better with flow?

Flow is NOT the issue. If you pull off stock can, you will see that the exhaust is straight through. It’s large to absorb sound.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Kyle,

Stock can or aftermarket?
Were your intakes clogged?
You are still in break in mode— rich fuel, rich oil

Photo is of a right hand sidehill trench—No Bog. My 2023 Boost.

There is a slightly extended deflector that I have seen— haven’t tried it yet.
Murph,

100% stock, except for my bars.
Brand new, so in break in. I was keeping an eye on the intakes and making sure they were clear most of the day.

Talking with you, I was hopeful the bog wasn't going to be an issue. Unfortunately, it is with this sled

Do you know where/how to get that extended deflector? Part number?
This sled might need it.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
My 23 had the exhaust side bog during break in, seems to be non existent now . I just rode Revvy past 6 days heavy deep snow 3-4 feet everyday sled rips

AF32C8CC-3C7A-43BB-8B9F-A71A6D0193FB.jpeg 079FFF7F-1319-429D-B687-314B7861CADB.jpeg

Last edited:

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership

First ride. Less than 40 miles on sled then.
Get through break in.

I don’t have a part number for extended deflector. It’s just a small extension/ angle change. I think TRS posted a photo on another thread.

Rest assured, the BOOST is a deep snow weapon—- in left AND right hand turns.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Get through break in.

I don’t have a part number for extended deflector. It’s just a small extension/ angle change. I think TRS posted a photo on another thread.

yep.
got 50 miles in yesterday.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Get through break in.

Seen lots of clips of boosts bogging on right hand sidehills, any explanation?

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Seen lots of clips of boosts bogging on right hand sidehills, any explanation?
Some explanations (some will accuse me of excuses)— this explains some issues

—SOME aftermarket cans have outlets that act as scoops and stuff muffler full of snow

—Boost CAN stumble after a stuck (yours or someone else’s) if can temp sensor and pipe sensors are cold or a large variance in temp readings between the two.

—Clogged intakes (especially on 22s)

—rich break in map

— poor re-installation of muffler (stock or aftermarket) can also cause muffler to act as a scoop. The turbo, boost box, pipe, muffler junction CAN be installed in a way that muffler acts as scoop (these all need to be removed to install BMFAB bumper— possibly other bumpers as well)

—high combustion pressure from stuffed muffler causing ignition to have trouble firing spark plugs (loose plug caps, degraded wires, partially fouled plugs, etc— exacerbate problem)

^^^ these can cause issues^^^^

A larger different shaped deflector — as pictured above from TRS post on a different thread— may alleviate issue. I have not tried.

I’ve got close to 3,000 mountain miles on pre-production Boost, (2) MY 22 Boost, MY 23 Boost …. Have I experienced bogs?

Occasionally, most can be attributed to above mentioned symptoms. Clogged intakes being the main culprit for me.

None of my bogs have induced “I’m selling this POS” syndrome. I chase deep snow all winter. Typically riding 7 days a week. Rarely ride days I can’t bury a spindle. I ride directly from my property when I’m home.

My 23 with stock powder valve, Ibexx left side intake, and right side snorkel breathes the best so far. I run a stock can.

My 23 ran out of gas yesterday at 37 miles (still in break in mode) breaking trail from my place.

Edit: I’m gearing up right now to go ride. Truckee/ Tahoe is deep ….. more on the way.

B5E212E5-C6E5-40C3-94B7-1EB395957657.jpeg

C
Dec 14, 2020
That bog would throw me forward, then my fat beer gut would hit the kill switch. Got me stuck countless times.

Move the kill switch?

Lots of guys spin it forward slightly or replace it with the momentary from Munster.

I did the dumb thing and moved it under the mountain strap bar. So far it's never bit me, and doesn't worry me with a tether.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Move the kill switch?

Lots of guys spin it forward slightly or replace it with the momentary from Munster.

I did the dumb thing and moved it under the mountain strap bar. So far it's never bit me, and doesn't worry me with a tether.
Wait.

There’s people who don’t put the kill switch under the crossbar?

I thought that was the universal setup?

Premium Features