• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski Upgrade

J
Jan 6, 2023
PNW
I have a 2016 M8000 with a bunch of modifications on it. The one that I did which I am not too happy with are the C&A BX skis. They float great as they are quite wide but I find they are more work to sidehill, esp to keep it on edge predictably. So much so that I feel my heavy 2015 Viper MTX with 2016 front end and stock skis sidehills more to my liking now.

I was considering just getting a new or used pair of stock 2016+ or 2019+ Cat ProClimb skis but I am curious if anybody has other recommendations? People seemed quite happy with the BX when I was looking but, I dunno, just don't seem to be for me. I was thinking of moving them to the Viper since that is so heavy in the front end and I don't take it out to play as much as the Cat.

thanks!

Jerry2star

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 25, 2021
I took off the thrashed/twisted SLP mohawk skis that came on my sled and bought a used pair of skis from a 2016 and I like them, but i also updated to the 2016 front end at the same time, seems most people dont like the cat skis.

Other people like using polaris gripper skis but i could find any used for the right price.

Last edited:

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I like my Powder Pros on my 13 and 16 Proclimbs. I have the stock skis on my 2018 and are alright but I find the PPs more predictable and easier to get on edge.

J
Jan 6, 2023
PNW
I like my Powder Pros on my 13 and 16 Proclimbs. I have the stock skis on my 2018 and are alright but I find the PPs more predictable and easier to get on edge.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll just keep an eye out for PPs, Polaris grippers or 18+s and see what I can find at a discount. I have a feeling I would like any of these more than the extra wide C&As considering I even prefer the '15 stock skis on the Yamaha to them. I'm hoping the C&As will match the Yamaha well considering I use it as more of a trail/utility/hauling sled with some mountain versatility.

J
Jan 6, 2023
PNW
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll just keep an eye out for PPs, Polaris grippers or 18+s and see what I can find at a discount. I have a feeling I would like any of these more than the extra wide C&As considering I even prefer the '15 stock skis on the Yamaha to them. I'm hoping the C&As will match the Yamaha well considering I use it as more of a trail/utility/hauling sled with some mountain versatility.
I ended up finding a set of brand new 2019 ProClimb skis on CountryCat for $350...skis, mounting hardware, loops and carbides and ordered those. All of the other options when everything included were at least $200 more and hopefully I'll be happy with these.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you are looking for a budget upgrade and you still have your old stock skis the 2019+ G2 ski bottom uses your other stock parts and is better than the previous years. Might need new bolts, dampers, and the axles that go through the spindles or cut your stock ones down. I have a pair of these for spring and use powder pros the rest of the year.

Premium Features