• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha 1 ride review

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I finally got a deep day on the Alpha. It was a weird snow combo, wet snow to about 5000’ then good snow on a crust over sugar. The Alpha actually trenched out a couple of times. One trench would have made my Doo 175 proud. There’s a tough balance on steep climbs in these conditions. Lockout keeps the front down but also gets the sled to trench more. I’m up to 75Lbs in the ski shocks and this brought the ride height up noticeably and stopped most of the low speed tippyness. It also cut thru trenches in the crusty snow way better. One thing I really like is this sled give you a lot of warning before it gets stuck in a climb. I’m getting out of the climb early, before I’m actually stuck most of the time now. This sled also likes a wiggle as it’s slowing down to get stuck and that got me over a couple hills that I don’t think I would have made. Like the wiggle in a pin and wiggle lol but before you are stuck.
I’m 300lbs ready to ride with gear on the tunnel. Current set up was 75Lbs ski shocks, 60lbs fts and 130 RTS. Next ride I’ll be 70 Ski, 50 or 55 fts and 135 rts.
Btw at 75Lbs ski shocks the comp adj of 1-3 felt like they were more different if that makes sense. I was using 1 and 2 where I had been using 2 and 3. 3 feels harsh now.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I finally got a deep day on the Alpha. It was a weird snow combo, wet snow to about 5000’ then good snow on a crust over sugar. The Alpha actually trenched out a couple of times. One trench would have made my Doo 175 proud. There’s a tough balance on steep climbs in these conditions. Lockout keeps the front down but also gets the sled to trench more. I’m up to 75Lbs in the ski shocks and this brought the ride height up noticeably and stopped most of the low speed tippyness. It also cut thru trenches in the crusty snow way better. One thing I really like is this sled give you a lot of warning before it gets stuck in a climb. I’m getting out of the climb early, before I’m actually stuck most of the time now. This sled also likes a wiggle as it’s slowing down to get stuck and that got me over a couple hills that I don’t think I would have made. Like the wiggle in a pin and wiggle lol but before you are stuck.
I’m 300lbs ready to ride with gear on the tunnel. Current set up was 75Lbs ski shocks, 60lbs fts and 130 RTS. Next ride I’ll be 70 Ski, 50 or 55 fts and 135 rts.
Btw at 75Lbs ski shocks the comp adj of 1-3 felt like they were more different if that makes sense. I was using 1 and 2 where I had been using 2 and 3. 3 feels harsh now.

How does it compare to your 175 doo? I want an alpha, but think I am to old and fat for any track less than a 174/175.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I finally got mine in deep snow and it is the bomb. I rode my old axys turbo and that was a little depressing. The alpha doesn't make up for a turbo but both are fun. It is crazy fun in deep untracked snow. The only thing that sucks is the heavy steering. At the end of the day my shoulders have had it. The traction this sled gets is crazy. I have yet to have to roll this sled to get it unstuck. It is also the craziest thing in the world in reverse. Loving the sled.
I got the scare of my life on this sled yesterday. Trying to get into this pocket most people don't know about. My buddy and I were both stuck. He was below me in the trees. Following me in. I kicked some snow and could back up. He rolled his. I ended up making it and he ended up in a hell hole that was good for a few more sticks later. I was up playing by myself and he was stuck trying to turn around. Long story short. I flipped my 165 over backwards and couldn't hardly get away. When it was coming over I was thinking, sh!t , I don't have my tether on. The sled actually died. The kill switch got hit. The big problem was I got throw in snow with my head downhill and the sled coming on top of me. Before my head was buried in the waist deep snow, I caught a glimpse of it and caught it with my feet . I was trying to wiggle away and trying to get my face out but the sled kept coming on me. I could still breathe but if the sled came on me it was going to shove me further in the snow and I wouldn't be able to get it off me if I could even breathe. Took me a little bit but got it to stay and got my face out of snow where I could see. That was my last set of goggles. I went and found chris after that and stayed closer together. It is a story I've heard about but never happened to me. There was like 3 skiers killed from a 9 foot dump in the Sierra Nevada's. Definitely an eye opener.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
How does it compare to your 175 doo? I want an alpha, but think I am to old and fat for any track less than a 174/175.

The Alpha is for sure better everywhere but the deepest days and the trail as far as riding goes. I haven’t gotten and over the bars deep day yet. I know I can ride my 175 850 slower climbing tho. That giant Doo track def has a little more flotation. If they make a longer track Alpha next year I’d buy it.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Just passed the 200 mile mark on the Alpha 165".
Shock pressure.. I'm about 185lb before riding gear. recently adjusted the front shocks to around 63psi. center shock increased from 45 to 65psi. And have the rear shock hovering around 130psi. All stay on setting 2. Ive tried to set the fronts on setting 1, but its too soft for all around riding. Increasing the center shock to 65psi gave the sled more ski lift. And is more of a handful to ride in steeper terrain, in a good way so far...but it seems the center shock pressure has the biggest influence on how the sled transfers. Snow conditions have changed rapidly over the last week and this sled hooks up so fast, so still figuring out center pressure sweet spot in a given snow condition.
Had a chance to swap sleds over the week too. Rode a 850 Polaris 155" 3" paddle. And a doo 850 165" 3". My Polaris buddy hopped on my alpha started going wild right off the bat. side hill spins, wheelies, dh pow turns. He really liked it. I was impressed how quickly he started to destroy terrain with the Alpha. For me the Polaris track spun a lot more in the snow and took more throttle to get to the speed for pow smashing. Polaris did get with the program at wot. So did the ski doo.
Comparing engines IMO. The low-mid range power band was the big difference missing in the Polaris and Doo compared to the alpha. Poo and Doo had bigger top end output. I've gotten comfortable with white knuckled torque of the Ctec2. It helps so much in the trees and for maneuvering the sled around at slow to medium speed. Plus popping small jumps is way more fun and controllable with the instant throttle response. It can lift and propel the sled off small drops. Not being a big jumper this was quite fun compared to my lack luster summit XM.
Handling of the 3 sleds is so rider influenced. I watched both guys crave and side hill their sleds with ease. I'm still learning the Alpha abilities and will be for the foreseeable future. But IMO the doo took more steering effort in a carve while on a side hill. (No steep side hills on buddies sleds either. ) The doo wanted to flop back to both skis on the snow. If you weren't fully committed to the one ski the sled was harder to keep on one ski. The Alpha could roll around while on edge much easier. The Polaris was the same way. Very intuitive to maneuver while on a sidehill.
For never riding a Arctic cat before and have Doo's the last 7-8 years. I am so fired up on my stock Alpha (HPS can). plus I paid 2 grand less than spring checking a 850 summit. All the new sleds are so sweet. We look at little steep zones now that were never on the radar before. Its a good thing given u have a good insurance policy. haha

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Do you still have 165 doo? How does the alpha compare? The doo is quick handling, effortless and just flat fun in deep powder. My wife got my turbo 165 blueberry but haven't compared and our snow did suck until now. Last weekend the snow was hard and tracked and insanely divey in the trees. The poo 850 and alpha were the best in that element. The doo was my least favorite. None of them were that much fun. Got unloaded a few times hooking on hard stuff when it dove under snow.

Yes still have the 165 doo. I would agree with you on the quick handling of the doo and it still is a great sled but the Alpha is not far off for quickness. Other then that the Alpha shines over the doo in handling easier to get on edge, keep on edge, more predictable, more forward momentum, and no tmotion wobble crossing tracks the I've experienced yet. Yesterday I purposely put my Alpha into some very steep sidehills in the trees that had no turn outs, either make it or get stuck. The Alpha impressed me a lot, maybe a tinny bit harder to keep on edge then my 850 Axys was but could handle just as steep terrain plus more track hookup and forward momentum. Also the tiny bit easier to keep on edge could be the 163 track on the axys and 154 Alpha. Overall loving the Alpha.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Wade, finally got in some snow like when we took you guys. Didn't think it was ever going to come. Completely happy.

That’s awesome. Might get a chance to come ride with you again next month. Trying to make that happen, that was a great zone you shared with us.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I got a lot more time on some alphas this weekend.

Our group consisted of.....
Alpha. 100% stock 154
Alpha 100% stock 165
Alpha speedwerxs stage 2 with 25lbs of weight taken off 165
18’ skidoo 100% stock 154x3
18’ skidoo with a bunch of lightweight mods. 154x2.5

Snow conditions were 30” of fresh on an excellent base.

We found a good sized hill in the 30-50 degree and 300-400’ long range. The top of the hill got very steep with a few small dips and drainages in it that filled up and had 6-7’ of bottomless powder in them.

My 2.5 skidoo made it up about 50’ before needing to turn. This snow took the momentum out of any sled that didn’t have 3” lugs. It was terrible.

The 3” skidoo made it 1/2 way up the hill with a little poaching, then he cut across the hill into a drainage and got stuck. The stock 154 alpha made it all the way up the hill, cut down above the skidoo and made it through the drainage with a little effort. The 165 stage two, ripped up the hill only poaching a few feet at the bottom. That sled ran so good. I would have sworn it was turboed with the lines it could pull. He cut above where the other two sleds had gone on the super steep part, went through the drainage without a problem.

I jumped on the 165 stage two and ripped up the hill to the steep part, leaned back and whipped a u turn. It whipped way faster than I expected. On my 154 skidoo I have to work to bring it around. The 165 alpha was way faster. I couldn’t believe it. I then jumped on the stock 165. It was quite impressive for a stock sled. Super good traction and easy to ride. Couldn’t bring the front end up as well as the stage two but still easier than my skidoo. It’s not an uncontrollable wheelie. You lean forward, it stays down. Lean back. It comes up.

After the hill got really rutted up, I ran my skidoo a ways up and cut across a bunch of trenches. I was used to the jarring and bucking so no big deal. I jumped on the stock 154 alpha and pulled the same line. I braced myself for the jarring and bucking but there was none. So dam smooth and predictable through the ruts and trenches. I was super impressed.

My takeaway.....

I will definitely be switching to an alpha next year.

Excellent bottom end. Super good midrange. Needs a tad bit of help on the top end but the stage two will more than take care of that.

The chassis is super predictable. So easy to ride. So easy to lean over at any degree and hold it. Very little buck and jerking through the bars. The traction is phenomenal. Best track in the biz in my opinion. It does trench a bit but it finds traction in every situation. With a little speed it pops right up on top of the snow.

Throughout the day we had several stucks. The skidoos take a lot of work to get unstuck. Especially my 2.5”. The alphas take a ski pull. They pop right out of the hole so easily. The 1 time we had to lift the back end out a little, it was so light. Two guys can lift it very easily.

I have to congratulate cat for making this good of a sled that can not only compete with, but win the bigger engines.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Funny you say all this because I finally got to ride mine in good snow and I never had a sled that sticks to a rutted out track, in deep snow, like the alpha at that speed. The other ones throw you out once in a while or is a handful in deep trenches. Also never had one that will climb out of a stuck hole like this one. Never had one that the reverse works in deep snow. Saved some grief a few times when stuck between two trees. It also sticks to a side hill like glue and will flat out go. The other thing I notice is when getting off the edge of trail, with speed to miss some bumps, it is easier to control and don't have to worry about getting thrown into the trees that are right there. It just seems like you can run that little morsel of snow easier without getting thrown back on the trail or into the trees than the other sleds. Saves on some bumps because the trail ride, in moguls, sucks I think. The fun factor on this sled is huge. The only thing I hate is heavier steering and no electric start. Grumpy shoulders at the end of the day. I do hate the little sliver of hood by the front vents. Looks like a hand hold. Maybe if it had a decent wrap around bumper I wouldn't want to grab there. The only thing I would change would be to lift it like the axys did. Huge difference on how the go through the snow compared to the older pros.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
I got a lot more time on some alphas this weekend.

Our group consisted of.....
Alpha. 100% stock 154
Alpha 100% stock 165
Alpha speedwerxs stage 2 with 25lbs of weight taken off 165
18’ skidoo 100% stock 154x3
18’ skidoo with a bunch of lightweight mods. 154x2.5

Snow conditions were 30” of fresh on an excellent base.

We found a good sized hill in the 30-50 degree range and 300-400’ long range. The top of the hill got very steep with a few small dips and drainages in it that filled up and had 6-7’ of bottomless powder in them.

My 2.5 skidoo made it up about 50’ before needing to turn. This snow took the momentum out of any sled that didn’t have 3” lugs. It was terrible.

The 3” skidoo made it 1/2 way up the hill with a little poaching, then he cut across the hill into a drainage and got stuck. The stock 154 alpha made it all the way up the hill, cut down above the skidoo and made it through the drainage with a little effort. The 165 stage two, ripped up the hill only poaching a few feet at the bottom. That sled ran so good. I would have sworn it was turboed with the lines it could pull. He cut above where the other two sleds had gone on the super steep part, went through the drainage without a problem.

I jumped on the 165 stage two and ripped up the hill to the steep part, leaned back and whipped a u turn. It whipped way faster than I expected. On my 154 skidoo I have to work to bring it around. The 165 alpha was way faster. I couldn’t believe it. I then jumped on the stock 165. It was quite impressive for a stock sled. Super good traction and easy to ride. Couldn’t bring the front end up as well as the stage two but still easier than my skidoo. It’s not an uncontrollable wheelie. You lean forward, it stays down. Lean back. It comes up.

After the hill got really rutted up, I ran my skidoo a ways up and cut across a bunch of trenches. I was used to the jarring and bucking so no big deal. I jumped on the stock 154 alpha and pulled the same line. I braced myself for the jarring and bucking but there was none. So dam smooth and predictable through the ruts and trenches. I was super impressed.

My takeaway.....

I will definitely be switching to an alpha next year.

Excellent bottom end. Super good midrange. Needs a tad bit of help on the top end but the stage two will more than take care of that.

The chassis is super predictable. So easy to ride. So easy to lean over at any degree and hold it. Very little buck and jerking through the bars. The traction is phenomenal. Best track in the biz in my opinion. It does trench a bit but it finds traction in every situation. With a little speed it pops right up on top of the snow.

Throughout the day we had several stucks. The skidoos take a lot of work to get unstuck. Especially my 2.5”. The alphas take a ski pull. They pop right out of the hole so easily. The 1 time we had to lift the back end out a little, it was so light. Two guys can lift it very easily.

I have to congratulate cat for making this good of a sled that can not only compete but win the bigger engines.

Great review. I haven’t rode an Alpha yet. Sounds awesome.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for sharing guys! I have learned so much from reading your reviews. I seem to be addicted to reading Alpha One reviews like a crack addict! I keep checking back again and again looking for more reviews. Please feed my addiction. :face-icon-small-ton Inquiring minds want to know your evolving impressions and potential improvement areas.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Some Doo guys tried my Alpha in deep snow yesterday. When they get back on their rides they start complaining that they aren't running right lol.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Love the Alpha, hate the premature track and hifax wear.
I am use to getting 4,000+ miles on a set of hifax. Meaning i never have to replace hifax.
I'm not sure ill get over 600miles on the Alpha.
Really don't like the wear on the track either.
3bcee13510bcafaa2c28bc71fb6c4ab1.jpg
650d5eb84c98d47b131ee0a304e67ef3.jpg
02c0c42fe3961bc6af2ff79bb9350600.jpg

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Looks to be the same problem as 2016 -2018 Polaris axys tracks. Can you fully clip the track?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Looks to be the same problem as 2016 -2018 Polaris axys tracks. Can you fully clip the track?
My same thoughts.
I told cat reps this would be a problem months before i picked up my sled.
Polaris did this from 2016-2018, clipped the paddles for 2019.....
I have a claim in with cat. I reported it at 280mi.

Not sure if u would put the same clips that are on the left paddle or just put flat clips...

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
AXYS owner. Clipping off lug causes accelerated wear.. If you clip it do it. Will help with hyfax wear as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Funny you say all this because I finally got to ride mine in good snow and I never had a sled that sticks to a rutted out track, in deep snow, like the alpha at that speed. The other ones throw you out once in a while or is a handful in deep trenches. Also never had one that will climb out of a stuck hole like this one. Never had one that the reverse works in deep snow. Saved some grief a few times when stuck between two trees. It also sticks to a side hill like glue and will flat out go. The other thing I notice is when getting off the edge of trail, with speed to miss some bumps, it is easier to control and don't have to worry about getting thrown into the trees that are right there. It just seems like you can run that little morsel of snow easier without getting thrown back on the trail or into the trees than the other sleds. Saves on some bumps because the trail ride, in moguls, sucks I think. The fun factor on this sled is huge. The only thing I hate is heavier steering and no electric start. Grumpy shoulders at the end of the day. I do hate the little sliver of hood by the front vents. Looks like a hand hold. Maybe if it had a decent wrap around bumper I wouldn't want to grab there. The only thing I would change would be to lift it like the axys did. Huge difference on how the go through the snow compared to the older pros.
Surprised by the heaver steering comment. I found it to be quite a bit lighter than my AXYS when side hilling. Double so off camber steep down hill...

Rode one this weekend in setup snow and this presented as a big wow for me.

In the tree's... Wow.. just wow.. I could pull line's effortlessly were is was working with my AXYS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have really cranky shoulders. Holding my hand above my shoulders hurts. That was one of the appealing things about the doo. My buddy thought it was easier steering than his axys the first time. The last time he rode it he thought it was harder steering.

Premium Features