• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 vs 9R Shoot out

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I dont think a side by side hill race shows the benefit of the 9r. Its something you have to ride to feel. And if your not in the trees alot, in and out of the throttle, the 9r would be a waste IMO

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Steep&DeepRider

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2007
Austin, MN
Well its good I've got lots of time then so I can waste it watching side by side videos.

I've watched Brett Turcotte's video on the 9R and Boost and I really like that, just would like to see against an 850 NA as well..

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
A popular you tuber will have one of each and every brand soon. He’s pretty good and rides in all terrain. Maybe not as good as the three prods but I’d bet my pay check he’s better than 99% of normal guys? Stay tuned. To bad his polaris boost blew up. They say (on his show) they don’t ride na just cause the snows so deep. I’d like to visit there someday lol

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Side by side comparisons hardly prove anything. I think they are a giant waste of time.

Agree. Apples and oranges in a sense really. I wouldn’t even consider a comparison unless the 9r had a turbo also. It’s a Na engine that at sea level has more HP than the boost. But at 10,000ft the hp is a bit different due to turbo maintaining the Hp at sea level while 9r gets robbed of its Hp without a turbo. That’s where it’s like you said. Doesn’t have the same weight as the turbo and it’s unshared components so it’s about how fast it can spook up and maneuverability.

I years ago I rode an MC800 in eastern SD about 1400ft. About pull your face off. But when I brought it to WY it felt like a 600cc machine back east. I bet that 900 with a turbo would be an absolute monster at elevation.: wonder if they will roll that out this spring or the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I just rode a 21 850 kaos and 9r kaos 155 back to back. Bottom end on 850 was lame. 22 is better. 21 kaos was a lot more rowdy than 9r. Must be sprung different.
I believe part of it is the weight balance of the sled. More weight forward and heavier overall on the matryx. Rear spring is still a 180. Although valving could be different. My 21 seems to be more plush than my 23

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I believe part of it is the weight balance of the sled. More weight forward and heavier overall on the matryx. Rear spring is still a 180. Although valving could be different. My 21 seems to be more plush than my 23

People don't realize how much difference there is even though suspension is the same. Didn’t know if there was a spring difference. 22 matryx kaos boost 155 wasn't out of hand at all. Would've been packaged in a 21 axys

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
People don't realize how much difference there is even though suspension is the same. Didn’t know if there was a spring difference. 22 matryx kaos boost 155 wasn't out of hand at all. Would've been packaged in a 21 axys
Ya my 21 155 is waaaaay more playful. Kinda makes me disappointed in my khaos 165. Its probably going to become a shorter sled. The spring rates are the same according to parts diagram.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ya my 21 155 is waaaaay more playful. Kinda makes me disappointed in my khaos 165. Its probably going to become a shorter sled. The spring rates are the same according to parts diagram.

The matryx is more nose heavy.

Really makes all the difference.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
The matryx is more nose heavy.

Really makes all the difference.

Ive got 390 miles on my Matryx khaos. Yesterday I finally came to that conclusion. Have a 21 also.

How to change that? I tightened up the front track clickers, that wasn’t the ticket. It needs some ski pressure otherwise it becomes a little bit of a work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steep&DeepRider

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2007
Austin, MN
Yep weight balance is definitely more forward

I don't understand why.

Others have talked how layout and 'hood'' are basically the same between ayxs and Matryx.
Could be with 5 or so less lbs on the tail of the tunnel due to the shorter tunnel coolers?
Are these matryx sleds that feel so nose-heavy - do they have electric start?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I don't understand why.

Others have talked how layout and 'hood'' are basically the same between ayxs and Matryx.
Could be with 5 or so less lbs on the tail of the tunnel due to the shorter tunnel coolers?
Are these matryx sleds that feel so nose-heavy - do they have electric start?

Cooler forward and bodywork weight makes the COG further forward.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ive got 390 miles on my Matryx khaos. Yesterday I finally came to that conclusion. Have a 21 also.

How to change that? I tightened up the front track clickers, that wasn’t the ticket. It needs some ski pressure otherwise it becomes a little bit of a work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ditch the poo track.

155 lynx, doo, camso 300LX.

Any will cure it.

Headlight delete
(good quiet) can.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankunnu

Sep 14, 2020
Ditch the poo track.

155 lynx, doo, camso 300LX.

Any will cure it.

Headlight delete
(good quiet) can.
Lol headlight delete he says. Let's just say out west we don't have lakes to race across. Our uphills are speckled with trees. If you're out west than **** a different track unless you're on team Polaris or Klim. The only **** worth it is actually riding it and determining the correct suspension setup.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Lol headlight delete he says. Let's just say out west we don't have lakes to race across. Our uphills are speckled with trees. If you're out west than **** a different track unless you're on team Polaris or Klim. The only **** worth it is actually riding it and determining the correct suspension setup.
How drunk were you when you wrote this? lol. I can't understand a thing you said here.

F

Frankunnu

Sep 14, 2020
I might of been a lil sauced. Hahaha! Just a lil playful banter. I just think it's funny when people try to save minimal weight with things like headlight deletes. That's the great thing about being an adult though. You can do whatever the hell you want as long as it makes you feel good!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Premium Features