• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P85 onto 9R

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
Long story short, I have a P85 I’d like to put on my 9R. I know I’ll add the adjust bolt to the secondary in this swap. But is there anything else? Same clutch bolt, torque, etc… and I know I’ll have to figure out my weights as the 10-series is totally different the the new P22 weights.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Long story short, I have a P85 I’d like to put on my 9R. I know I’ll add the adjust bolt to the secondary in this swap. But is there anything else? Same clutch bolt, torque, etc… and I know I’ll have to figure out my weights as the 10-series is totally different the the new P22 weights.

I believe 99% of the guys were going to TRS for his clutch kit.

You'll want to get the secondary balanced with the adjuster. And you'll need the clutch bolt for a p85.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
No need to balance the secondary as per TJ.
Just add the deflection bolt and nut. They do come with our clutch kit. Full description below.
A full kit consists of:
TRS helix
TRS weights
TRS alignment bar
Primary spring
Secondary spring
Secondary replacement rollers(‘21+)
Spider shims
Jackshaft shims
Comet weight shims
Secondary retaining bolt shims
Delrin washer
T27 L wrench
You will need these parts as well.
IMG_1574.jpegIMG_1575.jpeg

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Run Trs clutch kit on your 9r with your p85. Awesome combo.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
We have done many P85 combos for 9R with Tony TRS...everyone has called and say they love it...I do stock P85 clutch bolts....tonys list is complete...

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I did the TRS p-85 kit on my 9R and had the Patrick balance and lightening treatment. Sleds runs very strong. Make sure you do the clutch alignment as well, these sleds are usually pretty far off from the factory.

Last edited:

rmk800ak

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2002
Fairbanks AK.
Just got my clutches back from TJ and they are top notch as always . P85, TRS with TJ’s treatment is a great setup. Have them on both my boost and 9r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Why are people running a p85in lieu of the p22 post recall?

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
P-85 is a more proven clutch and after TJ and TRS work their magic the bottom end performs much better. Some P-85s on 9Rs do struggle to reach peak rpms. On my 9R I’m still trying to get 8400. The boost P-85 TRS setup is incredible.
Anyone else had trouble getting the 9R to pull 8400 and if so what did you do?

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
the P22 weight location is higher start rate than the P85 which means it takes off in second gear...Thus less bottom end....the reason is the roller to eliminate the need for belt defection is larger diameter, so there weights on the P22 are shorter and the tip is angles on top to make clearance as well...this caused less squeeze on the sheaves at full throttle...Every P22 I do ,and if you doubt me look at yours, the sheaves are Black with belt slip...less squeeze!!! the P22 has softer material as well causing some of this...the life span of the P22 is very short, seen them junk in 400 miles!!! did one this week with 800 miles and I could not balance it properly as it was a rattle box...every bushing and spider buttons gone...even weight bushings...there are many other issues I would get into...I understand the need for the P22 with the high HP sleds using 70s gram weights...they just need to change the design...Let alone the clutch issue of falling off...if you have any other question PM me...

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
P-85 is a more proven clutch and after TJ and TRS work their magic the bottom end performs much better. Some P-85s on 9Rs do struggle to reach peak rpms. On my 9R I’m still trying to get 8400. The boost P-85 TRS setup is incredible.
Anyone else had trouble getting the 9R to pull 8400 and if so what did you do?
Turns out my issue has nothing to do with clutching put the P-22 setup back on and sled does the same thing the sled won't hold RPM. Probably a bad sensor somewhere.

Premium Features