• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022 Summit X vs Expert - who knows the real differences? also what's going on with suspension?

B
Nov 10, 2010
Just trying to understand the exact differences in these sleds. Also, comparing to last years expert as a few things have changed. can anyone confirm?

upgrades from X to Expert (the obvious stuff) is this everything??
- 34 inch front end vs 36 on X - I'm torn if I need this. I ride 36 right now and I'm happy with it! I guess I could put the 34 in the wide setting and still have 36.
- 4 inch riser vs 6 inch on X
- lower seat on expert
- limiter strap adjustment on expert
- hand guards on expert
- brake rezzy protector on expert
- shot is always included on expert, option on X
- snowcheck promo for 3 year warranty on both with turbo

Suspension differences is where I get a bit confused, can someone help me understand?

- expert last year had Kashima coated shocks, however ski-doo coated the shock body and not the shock shafts (no performance gains, just looked pretty right?). I dont see Kashima coat this year on the bodies, but I think the performance is the same on the inside, can this be confirmed???

- Expert has "stiffer calibration" HPG Plus front shocks , X just has HPG plus front shocks. so same shock, just different valving???
- Expert has upgraded rear KYB PRO 36 shock
- both have same center shock, but I'm guessing expert is again stiffer valving.

Anything else to note? I'm on the fence of ordering a X or Expert. If I go X, with the money saved, I would order aftermarket suspension.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Kashima coating is not for looks, it for wear.
The pro 36 rear shock has more adjustablity
Shot is standard on the x this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
B
Nov 10, 2010
On the inside yes, the coating is mainly for the barrel where the seals ride on.
caper11, do you know if they actually did a coating on the barrel where the seals ride inside the shock body in the past? I'm a big mountain biker in the summer, in my experience with fox suspension, normally the kashima coating is done on the shock (fork leg) shafts. Its visible on the actually shaft body and a treatment that normally is seen externally.

here is an example:

I'm just trying to figure out if these shocks are on par with last years performance or if they have been "downgraded" substantially.

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Definitely not downgraded substantially. The X shocks are great and have been for years.

The shock body is coated inside and out. Interior plunger on a coil over is only slightly different than the air shaft your MTN bike likely has. Same seal concept but a rod instead of a holllow tube.

Fox uses kashima but Rock Shock doesn't and they work just as good of not better with their coating and seals. It is mostly marketing man don't get to into it.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
caper11, do you know if they actually did a coating on the barrel where the seals ride inside the shock body in the past? I'm a big mountain biker in the summer, in my experience with fox suspension, normally the kashima coating is done on the shock (fork leg) shafts. Its visible on the actually shaft body and a treatment that normally is seen externally.

here is an example:

I'm just trying to figure out if these shocks are on par with last years performance or if they have been "downgraded" substantially.

This info I have posted was directly from my shock guy, from a conversation I had last fall. I looked at upgrading my current x shocks to the kashima coated expert shocks, this is what he told me. Now the x comes with the lighter springs.
I do not like the factory valving and I get my KYB’s revalved and resprung stiffer.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

here is an example:

it is there, not for looks, the outside is not there now, but same is done, so you are getting the performance.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Been a 174-175 guy last decade, throwing the idea of going to a 154t on this next snowcheck.. but a little worried it’s will have skid to much in air, maybe just 165.. kids are starting to pick up the sport as well

KMorgan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2011
thought I read the expert has a 15" wide track now, and the summit X is still at 16" wide. can anyone confirm this?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Been a 174-175 guy last decade, throwing the idea of going to a 154t on this next snowcheck.. but a little worried it’s will have skid to much in air, maybe just 165.. kids are starting to pick up the sport as well

Fred I dont think you will like it as much, I know a guy who went from a 175 NA to a 165 turbo. He hates it, hes not a guy to do any suspension work either, so its that big of a difference for him.
I do not have the energy to ride a 154 especially with a turbo.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Fred I dont think you will like it as much, I know a guy who went from a 175 NA to a 165 turbo. He hates it, hes not a guy to do any suspension work either, so its that big of a difference for him.
I do not have the energy to ride a 154 especially with a turbo.

Plan to keep the older 175s for the steep and deep days, but use this as a fun substitute and kids can also learn on, be the expert package with adjustable limiter and hopefully better rear shock
8586ec03f4d469d376378838d99f37fc.jpg

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Plan to keep the older 175s for the steep and deep days, but use this as a fun substitute and kids can also learn on, be the expert package with adjustable limiter and hopefully better rear shock
8586ec03f4d469d376378838d99f37fc.jpg

That’s awesome!
I cant wait to get my kids in the mtns!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Lol they each had there own sled and I though it would be a one time thing, but they absolutely loved it and wanted a day less skiing and went sledding.. by the end of day two they climbed a few hills, and had some ugly stucks and storylines.. good times

Doubled them on a few good pulls and still can hear them screaming

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
So can anyone confirm if the front shocks and center shock is the exact same or not on the X and the xpert?
in the pics they look the same but that doesn’t mean much.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I believe it's the same shock just stiffer valving. Which makes no difference to me I'm putting my raptor ace skid and ski raptor shocks off my 18 on my new x turbo ?

Premium Features