• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit Expert VS Summit X

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Expert and X have same ski spindles and rubbers. I also am on a G5 Expert Turbo 165 and ordered the X Turbo 165 for next season. They upgraded the X to bring it closer to the Expert just with Tmotion and only missing a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you’re happy with the current Expert package why are you switching to the X? If you liked the locked out rear end you aren’t gaining much by the time you buy the parts and have a lesser shock package. Asking because I have been debating between the two myself. I haven’t rode the solid rode 16” track.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
If you’re happy with the current Expert package why are you switching to the X? If you liked the locked out rear end you aren’t gaining much by the time you buy the parts and have a lesser shock package. Asking because I have been debating between the two myself. I haven’t rode the solid rode 16” track.

I never had issues with tmotion or hate it like others have.

I went Expert to try it and i definitely noticed it handled the tracked out faces during the side hill better than a t motion sled but I make it my goal to ride where there is no tracks

During Dec/Jan with less than stellar snow in Revy the expert was more to handle and tired me out at the end of the day. Inthe deep snow solid or tmotion dosent make a difference you don’t feel it.

I figured I would go Tmotion on the new sled and if I find I have outgrown in it it’s $200 to upgrade to a solid rear end. Plus I really wanted that Arctic Tan for next year

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
I went Expert to try it and i definitely noticed it handled the tracked out faces during the side hill better than a t motion sled but I make it my goal to ride where there is no tracks
During Dec/Jan with less than stellar snow in Revy the expert was more to handle and tired me out at the end of the day. Inthe deep snow solid or tmotion dosent make a difference you don’t feel it.
I figured I would go Tmotion on the new sled and if I find I have outgrown in it it’s $200 to upgrade to a solid rear end.

I feel the same way. Don't want hand guards, prefer DS3, use aftermarket brake reservoir.
So, $900-1000 difference for a turbo 165 to get a rigid rear arm and one upgraded shock. I'll be changing all the shocks anyway and it's only $200 to swap the arm if I want.
Perhaps the flex edge track is less susceptible to rod breakage?

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

I figured I would go Tmotion on the new sled and if I find I have outgrown in it it’s $200 to upgrade to a solid rear end.
My feelings exactly

E
Dec 19, 2007
Expert has stiffer shock valving.

Actually the shock valving is minimally stiffer, one valve worth, than a stock X. The rears are the same except the Expert has a quick change adjuster. At least that is according to what is in the shock specs for both. Been that way for several years now... Biggest difference in the past with X vs. Expert shocks was the springs. X springs are longer vs. Expert. Same base rate just one weighs a couple ounces more....

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I feel the same way. Don't want hand guards, prefer DS3, use aftermarket brake reservoir.
So, $900-1000 difference for a turbo 165 to get a rigid rear arm and one upgraded shock. I'll be changing all the shocks anyway and it's only $200 to swap the arm if I want.
Perhaps the flex edge track is less susceptible to rod breakage?

It’s what inspired me to start this thread to find out what is actually the difference between the two packages. Skidoo gave the 24 X everything I wanted that the Expert came with for 23. I also was going to use the savings to have my shocks re valved for the upcoming season. Prefer upgraded shocks to stock expert shocks any day.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just ordered my wife a summit x turbo. I thought about a freeride narrowed to 34 but was 2 grand more by the time it was done. Steering is easier on x spindle and extra traction from 16 wide will be to her benefit. Plus it's another 11 pounds lighter. Was going to set a freeride up like i wanted to ride but did the adult thing for the first time in my life. Got it for her. I must be slipping. I actually hate tmotion with flex edge and that spindle. You can tell in deep snow. It turns you uphill really bad compared to solid.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Just ordered my wife a summit x turbo. I thought about a freeride narrowed to 34 but was 2 grand more by the time it was done. Steering is easier on x spindle and extra traction from 16 wide will be to her benefit. Plus it's another 11 pounds lighter. Was going to set a freeride up like i wanted to ride but did the adult thing for the first time in my life. Got it for her. I must be slipping. I actually hate tmotion with flex edge and that spindle. You can tell in deep snow. It turns you uphill really bad compared to solid.
I was kicking around the idea of the freeride, but wanted the 34” front, and a 15” wide track would mean more if they narrowed the tunnel. Color also! ?

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
You can tell in deep snow. It turns you uphill really bad compared to solid.

Yeah this is the common complaint of t motion I hear or read of people’s experiences with it. I never found that or if it did happen I would correct the sled and not let it turn me uphill. When they updated the t motion in 2023 it’s been improved I feel.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Yeah this is the common complaint of t motion I hear or read of people’s experiences with it. I never found that or if it did happen I would correct the sled and not let it turn me uphill. When they updated the t motion in 2023 it’s been improved I feel.

What did they update? I've only rode my lynx or experts

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My lynx only bugs me, with 36, in less than stellar snow or when tired at end of day. Deep snow it is the easiest thing in the world. I ordered the 24 ds for the 34 and a little less weight.

Premium Features