• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Ascender Engine Fail

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think the purple paint is cracking on the rail.....?
What do u guys think? To much hardener in the paint?
c5a0c002910f0eb09d77298dc3d8e9fe.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Still not sure the rail is broke?
If i run my finger across it, my nail will definitely catch.
Could be casting? Or just the paint chipping?

I think the engine is still good.
I Haven't tried starting it since i shared the pic though....

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Still not sure the rail is broke?
If i run my finger across it, my nail will definitely catch.
Could be casting? Or just the paint chipping?

I think the engine is still good.
I Haven't tried starting it since i shared the pic though....

It's probably still good then.
As long as your finger doesn't stop the bearing on the crank from turning!!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
LOL- a couple confirmed? There are 6 from one dealer in Canada- 2 from the original poster and more in between. There are also guys still waiting on snow checks and two Polaris service bulletins. Every brand will have some go down but this hardly seems like your random failures that every brand will have. Keep drinking the burandt Corp Cool Aid

Polaris sold 10,000 850's, Cat sold how many this year? Percentage of failure is what matters not how many. Time will tell, I know two dealers...one we bought our two sleds from and the other was my previous dealer. Between the two dealers 56 850's out the door and to date no seized motors. Doesn't mean it won't happen but 0-56 is a good start so far.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
O cmon, its 10:1 not 100:1 :face-icon-small-win

More like 50:1 in my world of mountain riding the past 6-8 years. BC, Montana, Oregon, Idaho and Wyoming. No exaggeration here, just saying my experiences in the last few years has been very very few with AC.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Based on what I’m seeing here I wouldnt go for another ride on my Alpha if I had one, not worth being stranded in the backcountry. Get rid of it before you can’t give it away.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I definitely believe the Alpha whoops the Patriot in every single aspect of snowmobiling. As long as both sleds are still running.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It's so funny how every Axys rider claims the Axys is hands down the best handling sled out of the box.
I honestly tried to like it.
I really don't like the way it handles and the shocks are worse than Skidoo.

Engine really felt good and clutching was not bad. Only a few places it felt like a dead spot. Track is the worst of the 3.

So, what part of the whole sled is the best?

Cat has the best shocks.
Cat has the best track.
Cat has the best clutching.

Ride and handling is purely preference.

Engines are honestly very close to each other.

It would be nice to have Real engine failures documented for all 3 manufacturers.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
It's so funny how every Axys rider claims the Axys is hands down the best handling sled out of the box.

Engine really felt good and clutching was not bad. Only a few places it felt like a dead spot. Track is the worst of the 3.

Cat has the best shocks.
Cat has the best track.

It would be nice to have Real engine failures documented for all 3 manufacturers.

How long did you own one. Might not be for everyone but it does seem out of the brands most like the feel of the pro the best. They could be snochecked with Walker Evans Remote resevior shocks which are a huge improvement over the standard WE's. I would love to try and Alpha and feel I would actual fee somewhat at home on it with little time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
My 01 Polaris 800 went over 10,000 miles. Finally totalled it out but engine still ran.

So did my 2001 800 RMK BUT the 2002+ used different cranks (probably some stupid cost saving/supplier change). Many of my friends newer ones had failures.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725

Cat has the best shocks.
Cat has the best track.

I think they got every thing beat when it comes to ski's , All though I haven't tried the newer Arctic cats.

Premium Features