• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

aftermarket can on G5 turbo cause any warranty issues

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I just picked up a used 2024 G5 turbo with 190 miles. Still in break in I think 30% left . It has a GGB trail can on it now. I have the stock muffler too. Should I install the stock muffler until it's out of break in or is it too late and just run it. Will the GGB can be an issue if a warranty claim comes up? I think the GGB can has been on since new. Im kinda worried now. Always ran a aftermarket can on my N/A sleds and didn't worry about it. I'll def install the stock muffler if I need to bring it in. Hoping it's all good?? Any experience with dealerships voiding the warranty cuz of a aftermarket can? Can they tell if the GGB has been installed? Thanks

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I would put the stock one back on, to at least see the difference in performance. GBB is not known to produce a reliable, consistent muffler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!

That Ski Doo bulletin is bullshit. “Lacquer applied to critical parts”?
I had been told they marked certain bolts so removal would be obvious. So what if I had to remove exhaust for any other work and those bolts had to be removed?
I feel like they would totally lose that argument in a court fight. But they know most of us small guys don’t have the time or the means to take it that far and will just pay up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
There is nothing on the exhaust that is marked. Regardless, if you put a pipe on the sled, or a tune, and blow the engine, you think you should get warranty? Good luck with that.
Thats all that the bulletin is warning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
So what critical parts were marked by lacquer?
And I agree about a tune, obviously that will void a warranty. However that is a totally different ballgame than a muffler.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
what caper said, it's not the muffler or the tuned pipe. if it were, we'd all know about it by now because many of us remove those components for whatever reason.
i think the nut that adjusts the amount of travel on the wastegate rod has lacquer on it and the manual states that adjusting that will void the warranty.
f$%ktards everywhere enjoy defrauding insurance companies, warranties, etc so companies have to do stuff like this.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Also keep in mind the warranty process, IF there is a problem and BRP wants a million pictures for the claim process, and there is a pic of a aftermarket muffler on the sled. Warranty COULD be voided, which is the purpose of the bulletin.
I have already seen blown engines on turbo sleds from aftermarket pipes, and poor performance from aftermarket mufflers, so doo is covering their Butt with that piece of paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
I was commenting on the original question of the thread. A muffler.
Nobody is arguing for warranty with a tuner or wastegate adjustments.

You delete your diesel truck, yeah obviously warranty is gone. But what if it is bone stock other than a Magnaflow muffler? You see my point?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
an aftermarket muffler wasn't designed and tested for the system and brp doesn't know or care what some other muffler's characteristics are. their point is that you're operating an aftermarket product not produced by them and they're not gonna be responsible for any issues. they're covering their asses which is perfectly reasonable.
this also raises the question of whether or not from the engine data that is recorded by the ecu, can they tell if an aftermarket muffler was used.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
A muffler has no merit on the basis of warranty. How far do you believe manufactures should be able to take this? Non-factory tires on your truck? Sorry, warranty denied.
This is nothing more than BRP trying to save some cash. They know the majority of people use a lightweight can therefore they can reduce the number of people they offer warranty to.
Again, I'm not talking about a mod sled here, tuning, fueling, engine work, etc. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A MUFFLER! Do you believe a muffler has been the sole cause of any modern 2 stroke engine failure? Honest question.

I get a little touchy on this subject as years ago I had a dealer deny warranty on a 3 month old sled because I was using Amsoil. Now, BRP hadn't designed or tested this oil with their system, just like the muffler. So do you agree that they should be able to deny warranty based on that?

Well Amsoil didn't agree and started a lawsuit with BRP.
Here are the court notes on how that turned out:

OBJECTIVE:
1. Communicate a significant language change in BRP's warranty
policy.
2. Communicate that the use of AMSOIL lubricants in BRP
snowmobile and ATV engines will not place warranties at risk.
3. Assure customers that AMSOIL synthetic lubricants meet or
exceed the performance requirements of BRP snowmobile and
ATV engines.
TECHNICAL DISCUSSION:
AMSOIL customers who recently purchased a Ski-Doo snowmobile
or Can-Am ATV were advised that it was necessary to
use BRP-branded lubricants or risk the loss of warranty coverage.
Customers were referring to language found in multiple
Ski-Doo and Can-Am operator's guides that instructed use
of only a specified BRP synthetic lubricant. Further, the
guides state "Use of other engine oils may cause severe engine
damage and may void the limited warranty" (3)(4). Additional
BRP operator's guides state there is "no known equivalent"
(1)(4) to the branded BRP lubricant on the market.
AMSOIL confronted BRP about the warranty language in its
operator's guides. Specifically, AMSOIL asserted that the
warranty language violated the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act,
a federal law which prohibits manufacturers from requiring
the use of a branded service/replacement part unless the branded
service/replacement part is provided free of charge.
AMSOIL emphasized that its synthetic lubricants meet or
exceed the engine performance requirements for both two- and
four-cycle engines used in power sports equipment.
BRP, while denying that its warranty language violated the
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act or any other regulation, advised
AMSOIL that it has never denied a warranty claim based on
the use of "improper oil" (2). Furthermore, BRP advised that
it will modify the language of its operator's guides as follows:
1. It will no longer say that use of oil other than the BRPbranded
product may void the warranty.
2. When it recommends a particular branded product, it will
ensure that the language is clearly identified as a recommendation
rather than a requirement.
3. It will no longer comment on the availability of equivalents

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
An aftermarket oil can provide the same protection. Does an aftermarket muffler provide the same back pressure? I don’t think so. That’s why some sleds run like crap with an aftermarket muffler in it.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
your saying a muffler has no basis for a warranty claim is just an opinion unless you can prove that it has no bearing on how the engine operates in terms of potential damage.
i'm not a mechanic or an engineer so my ignorance of whether or not mufflers have causes 2 stroke failures doesn't mean anything.
oil and tires are consumables so there has to be provision to allow for other brands to be used as long as they meet the specs. mufflers don't fall under that category.
what's interesting is that the bulletin only applies to turbo sleds so why is that?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
An aftermarket oil can provide the same protection. Does an aftermarket muffler provide the same back pressure? I don’t think so. That’s why some sleds run like crap with an aftermarket muffler in it.
good point.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
So you have Hi-Torque rollers in your clutch correct? If your PTO bearing comes apart and destroys the crank, are you ok with Ski Doo denying your warranty?
Should a clutch kit void warranty? They don't provide the same shifting and engine load characteristics as factory, That's why some sleds run like crap with clutch work. Same argument as a muffler no?

Premium Features