• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil tank draining into crank case during storage.

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Like the title says my 2019 alpha is having trouble with the oil tank draining over periods of storage. Seems like the oil is in the crankcase causing a hydro lock condition currently. Last time it happened I was able to get the sled started (smoked and fat till it cleaned out)

Little more about the sled:
I have a MVM belt drive with plastic tank. Silber turbo with cycles and sleds clutching, boost T and BOV. runs very well except this issue. Just a little over 1000 miles.

No local cat dealer, few that I've talked with haven't given much direction

Is there a check valve assembly in the oil pump that could've failed causing this issue?
Seals in the water pump oil bath bad causing this?

Thanks in advance and feel free to correct any assumption I made right or wrong!

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
I have seen a post or 2 on Facebook about this. Check the Ascender forum search.
I've also seen Facebook posts, participate in a few of them and catalyst groups also but can't get anything pinned down. The search brings up nothing...I've tried a few different wording version also

Tmod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 1, 2014
North Idaho
I agree with the check valves and when it happened to me on a different machine I just sucked out the oil that was in the crankcase and then fired it up and ran it for a bit to clean out.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Give Hubs Performance a call- Great guy (may seem pointed) but is straight up-and no BS.
He is out of Idaho and is a true Cat guy
Ask for Kevin he is the owner.
He and I bounce ideas off each other-and share information regarding Alpha's
Hubs Performance
29 W Oneida
Preston, ID 83263
ph: 208-852-0400
Hubsperformance@gmail.com

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Give Hubs Performance a call- Great guy (may seem pointed) but is straight up-and no BS.
He is out of Idaho and is a true Cat guy
Ask for Kevin he is the owner.
He and I bounce ideas off each other-and share information regarding Alpha's
Hubs Performance
29 W Oneida
Preston, ID 83263
ph: 208-852-0400
Hubsperformance@gmail.com
Kevin is great! I've talked with him in the past on clutching, he shared a few comments and replied on Facebook to a similar problem. Sage Crusher seeing your knowledge on Cats and watching your videos I was hoping you would have the answer for me lol! I will try and get ahold of Kevin and pick his brain more.

Thanks!

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Older cat 900 would do the same thing if the oil pump was going bad, had it happen to my 05 efi king cat, started using more oil gradually then after summer all the oil was in the crankcase no fun at all !!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I ask cuz i had my clutch off and tried to start it. I thought she was seized up but the engine needs the clutch installed for momentum to start it. I knew this but forgot. So I proceeded to pull the engine out. Haha. Hope you finger out the problem.

Last edited:

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Kevin from Hubs diagnosed over the phone with me a failed check valve in the oil pump allowing the intake to fill up and bleed down into the case. Getting oil out of the case is fun said no one ever....

sled pic 1.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features