• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Yamaha Sled Rumors & Predictions

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
Not saying my dealer has any inside information, but at one of his meetings, they had a discussion about the lack of an affordable beginner sled. The concensus was that the cost of producing a 4 stroke sled has just about put it out of reach for the average young beginner. the phazer is a sweet sled, but even it carries a 10000$ + price tag up here. i had looked into getting last year's model and it didn't matter if you chose the RTX short track (with Floats all around) or the MTX, the out the door sale price was over 12000$ once taxes, licensing, pdi and such was added. He said the same thing that was mentioned by others on this thread earlier about perhaps a 2-stroke alternative priced at a more attractive level for the average consumer. Another thing he'd mentioned that got me excited was that the Yamaha reps kept saying how the "4-stroke engine was designed to outlive the chassis". One of them told him after that the idea had been tossed around about offering custom chassis to the consumer. Sort of like a build your machine with the options you'd like added on directly. I kinda like the idea of choosing from a list of options and bulkhead/tunnel combinations, tracks...etc; might take a while to get there but some of you northern dealerships already offer prebuilt turbo sleds and the like, so maybe it's not so far off....

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
they cant get the push turbo to run down here(1600ft) even with the low alltitude kit you have to buy! so why should i go buy a push if i cant ride it here. ill go buy a MCX thank you!

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
they cant get the push turbo to run down here(1600ft) even with the low alltitude kit you have to buy! so why should i go buy a push if i cant ride it here. ill go buy a MCX thank you!

at that elevation, the issue is fuel, and the detonation...remember, they are trying to get away with not having to do head work like shims etc.

and at sea level, your pushing it at 8PSI...you will need upper 90 octane to be safe...and I dont think there is much of that being pumped...so you would have to do a race mix or something else...

easily solved with fuel mixing, and or head shims...

C
Nov 29, 2008
Snow sport frame with a decent track (running a 108" x 1.25" mod on one now) with 250cc 4 stroke and light weight front end - great beginner / youth sled.

Given the resale $ of the used scoots and sports it seems that there is a market (don't know how big) that none of the big 4 has tapped.

Refine some of the items everyone complains about - better heaters, better boards, better shocks on the mtn light, etc. and try to pull out some more of the weight.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Does Yamaha have any sled models that are NOT being offered in North America right now?

Particularly a small sled by chance.??

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
West of Boulder, Colorado
Does Yamaha have any sled models that are NOT being offered in North America right now?

Particularly a small sled by chance.??

I don't know if you have seen this yet, but I've seen a few 2011 Bravo's for sale at random dealerships in Michigan. The dealers all say they have been selling them like crazy to the local ice fishermen. I guess they got around the emissions by selling so many sleds that are well within the limits.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?section=ov&model=3463

2011_BR250_SMX_CA_3_l.jpg

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
W

wyonytro

Oct 10, 2010
i cant believe they still make a sled with leaf spring front suspension :face-icon-small-ton

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
the bravo has never left the yamaha line up. the only up date they have done in 20 years is go from the old click down fuel cap to the spin on kind!!

T
New Rumor heard this morning.

Among other things...

Yamaha will be offering the Supercharger and Turbocharger that was introduced this past Fall as a factory installed option on Snow Checked sleds.

Yup, this is the one! I'll bet anyone a new 2012 that this one is right...okay, who am I kidding, I don't have any money...!!!

2012 is the year of the Factory Boost on Nytros. My prediction, can't sell out the source, but no one is in "time out" for this suggestion. Strike me down and call me Nancy if I'm wrong. Hook me up with Thistledoo's photo girl if I'm right!!

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
They are gonna release them with the sc and turbos? what good is all that gonna be for the folks at sea level? that would be disappointing. I heard they are also trying to get rid of push and replace em with the mpi turbo. I thought it was kinda weird that mpi started making a turbo kit but thats because push cant keep up with demand. Mpi said they were releasing their kits only to Canada for now??? Go with the SC it works.

Premium Features