• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 STROKE BOOSTED SLEDS

zaxxcmx925

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2005
How many peeps got boost in there sleds and what brand.How are they running!! Just how much tinkering goes with boost ,interested especialy in XP
So who has one what is the bad an good of your setup!!

A

Adrenalin

Nov 2, 2008
Los Anchorage, AK
been interested in this info also , everthing in the ski doo turbo forum is all mucked up , but from what i gather turbo performance has the set up ,R&D turbo werks will take your 5gs and leave ya waiting on a turbo for months on end .

trying to find out why guys are wanting the garret over the areocharger ?

or the pros n cons of the two , only thing ive found is the garrets are cheaper to rebuild but both give the same performance ? thats more or less a question not a statement

any info you have ill take from ya :face-icon-small-hap

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I've run both the garret and the Aero, here's the differences-

Aero- Pros- faster spool because the vane angles are adjustable, you can adjust for quicker spool or better top end. The aerocharger doesn't need oil circulating through it, it is self contained like a supercharger, you just fill it and check it every now and then.
Cons- The aero makes nasty heat. Mine used to heat soak the motor and intake very quickly. Intake temps would be very high, very fast. So I started injecting fuel at the turbo, it has a nozzle for a fuel injector, and that helped, but not enough to avoid having to run high octane and tune the motor rich to avoid deto. The aero, even when adjusted for max top end, will never pull as hard on the top as a Mitsu or garret turbo. They need more psi to make the same amount of power as an automotive turbo. Finally, the aero's, like Leif said, are expensive to rebuild and EASY to blow up. If you send a flake of piston or cylinder through your exhaust, it's a $1000 rebuild. I did it twice in a season before getting fed up with the aero. If you are going to run one, make sure to install a nice exhaust screen before the turbo.

Garret- Pros- better top end power, half the cost ($2000 for the small Aero 53, around $2300 if I remember correctly for the bigger Aero 66) and easier to adjust boost than the Aero
Cons- The garrett needs oil circulating, so you have to (1)use an auxilarry electric oil pump or (2)use your motor's oil pump AKA the Twisted Turbo kits, and eliminate your oil injection. Also, the ball-bearing ceramic-cartridge garrets are very sensitive to oil pressure, too much can easily blow the seals. You will also need to run an oil tank and lines. Most of the garret turbos are designed to use antifreeze to help cool the turbo, but most of the 2-stroke turbo kits using garret turbos have elected to plug the coolant lines. The yamaha 4-stroke kits use these coolant lines and I believe it helps alot with cooling and turbo life.

I am not saying the Aero doesn't work well, because it can. It just takes money and patience. Happy to answer any other questions

zaxxcmx925

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2005
Thanks for the write up IQRIDER!!
I would like more BOOSTED PEEPS chime in and give thier take on this post,
seems like info is scarce on this subject,just look at the ski-doo turbo posts,
after all the hype you would think there would be video galore,but saddly all we have is peeps trying to get their kits or money back,WHERE ARE ALL THE BOOSTED XP'S???

N

nelsonsr1

Nov 3, 2008
Anchorage
I've run both the garret and the Aero, here's the differences-

Aero- Pros- faster spool because the vane angles are adjustable, you can adjust for quicker spool or better top end. The aerocharger doesn't need oil circulating through it, it is self contained like a supercharger, you just fill it and check it every now and then.
Cons- The aero makes nasty heat. Mine used to heat soak the motor and intake very quickly. Intake temps would be very high, very fast. So I started injecting fuel at the turbo, it has a nozzle for a fuel injector, and that helped, but not enough to avoid having to run high octane and tune the motor rich to avoid deto. The aero, even when adjusted for max top end, will never pull as hard on the top as a Mitsu or garret turbo. They need more psi to make the same amount of power as an automotive turbo. Finally, the aero's, like Leif said, are expensive to rebuild and EASY to blow up. If you send a flake of piston or cylinder through your exhaust, it's a $1000 rebuild. I did it twice in a season before getting fed up with the aero. If you are going to run one, make sure to install a nice exhaust screen before the turbo.

Garret- Pros- better top end power, half the cost ($2000 for the small Aero 53, around $2300 if I remember correctly for the bigger Aero 66) and easier to adjust boost than the Aero
Cons- The garrett needs oil circulating, so you have to (1)use an auxilarry electric oil pump or (2)use your motor's oil pump AKA the Twisted Turbo kits, and eliminate your oil injection. Also, the ball-bearing ceramic-cartridge garrets are very sensitive to oil pressure, too much can easily blow the seals. You will also need to run an oil tank and lines. Most of the garret turbos are designed to use antifreeze to help cool the turbo, but most of the 2-stroke turbo kits using garret turbos have elected to plug the coolant lines. The yamaha 4-stroke kits use these coolant lines and I believe it helps alot with cooling and turbo life.

I am not saying the Aero doesn't work well, because it can. It just takes money and patience. Happy to answer any other questions

Sounds to me like a but load of money and work for a little more power and shortens the life of you motor.
Is it really worth it?

zaxxcmx925

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2005
Sounds to me like a but load of money and work for a little more power and shortens the life of you motor.
Is it really worth it?

Thats why BOOSTED 2 STROKE peeps need to chime in !!:face-icon-small-hap

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
Thats why BOOSTED 2 STROKE peeps need to chime in !!:face-icon-small-hap

I think It was worth every penny. It gives more than a "little more power". LOL. Going from 140hp on my M-8 to 265hp is more than a little I think. Yeah they are going to be more maintenance but that is the price you pay for power. They are purpose built for the steep and deep not for pounding trails in Petersville. I personally enjoy blowing up the mountain past where modded 1000's are getting stuck, but to each his own. :face-icon-small-hap

zaxxcmx925

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2005
so you must be running 12-16# of boost!! are you running avgas or full race gas?

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Has anyone try a turbo on a 600 carb would like to try it out someday,using pumped gas.

Yes I've done it, no point to doing it unless you are going to run more boost than that, 4-5 psi is all you're going to get out of 90 octane, I needed 100 AV to run 8-9 psi and 112 above that.

zaxxcmx925

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2005
anybody know what kind boost we can get up here for 90 and avgas? this for 800's,I have heard of 235 hp @ 10# with avgas and a little compression taken out on XP

Last edited:
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
anybody know what kind boost we can get up here for 90 and avgas? this for 800's

About the same as listed above, if you use an 11:1 head or somewhere close to that, you can get 4-6 psi on pump depending on ignition timing and what size turbo, and around 8-10 psi on 100LL Avgas. All of this assuming you are an experienced tuner and using a wideband, preferrably in combination with EGT's, and checking piston wash often. Honestly the pump gas turbo idea should be saved for the 4-strokes as far as sea level is concered, 2-strokes just move too much air and use too high of compression, deto is a big problem even with evap cooling or intercooling.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
I think It was worth every penny. It gives more than a "little more power". LOL. Going from 140hp on my M-8 to 265hp is more than a little I think. Yeah they are going to be more maintenance but that is the price you pay for power. They are purpose built for the steep and deep not for pounding trails in Petersville. I personally enjoy blowing up the mountain past where modded 1000's are getting stuck, but to each his own. :face-icon-small-hap

LOL, Ya that M8 grew a pretty good set of balls after the turbo install. Makes the 1000s and mod 800s look like Childs toys in comparison LOL.

Premium Features