• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which to buy?: 2010 Rev-XP Summit 800R or 2010 FX Nytro SE ??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I posted this same question, in reverse, over in the yamaha forum a week ago, and now I want to get some input from the loyal Doo owners....

===========

I am considering these two sleds.
One of them is going to find a home in my garage by fall.

Thus far all my riding has been on Summits, but maintence/reliability seems to be a real issue among owners of the 800R engine based on comments I have seen here on Snowest, and comments from several sled techs who make their living wrenching on these sleds.

So I am looking for comments from the Ski-Doo crowd as why I should consider the Summit over the Yamaha.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The answer depends on what type of rider you are. Those are 2 totally different sleds aimed at different riders. I have owned and ridden different Yami's and owned and ridden many Doo's.....I just bought a XP. Doesn't mean the Yami isn't a great machine, but it is not capable of the type of riding I like to do....too heavy for the amount of power it has....just too heavy period (for ME) :beer;:)
As for reliability, I ride with many XP's and have not seen a single failure, their weak point is clutching but that is easily cured.

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
If you like boondocking in deep pow and climbing I would go with the XP. If you plan on adding a turbo my answer may be different, but stock to stock I prefer the XP over the Nytro.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Like the other two responses, I would say it depends entirely on what type of riding you do. I am a tight tree rider, boondocker, climber and like chutes as well. A nytro will not hang with a xp in the technical stuff in anywhere near stock form. Engine reliability hasnt been a huge issue. I had some ring issues that were caused from aftermarket chamber configurations. Both our stockers have been dead reliable with over 3500 miles on the stock 08. I love the xp platform and it has been rock solid for us. JMO but if you ride the sled in gnarly places an XP cannot be beat in near stock form. As far as huge performance, I think Halversons turbo is going to make them compete with the very best in the mountains.

Jake

L

ledoo

Dec 8, 2007
been towing with the idea of a supercharged nytro. but rode with a couple guys last winter one with stock nytro one with stock APEX 3 or 4 feet of powder. they both were stuck lots and lots and lots.
Boosted sure if you can handle that kind of power. more power could mean stuck worse if you can't handle it.
SO bottom line boosted sure, no boost no way
JMO

M
Dec 10, 2007
BC
Boosted, go Nytro... naturally aspirated go XP..... In the mountains Nytro's are useless stock. Unless you like digging and pulling... why are you looking at a Mtn Doo and a trail Nytro? what type of riding do you do?

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I have an xp that I love. I did have the engine go down, but was back on the snow in 5 days. Whatever sled you go for, find a good dealer, that will take care of you. I have Winterbrew's clutch set-up in my sled, and it really performs well! I love the lightness of the sled, and how well it boondocks through the snow.

Ace

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
If you ride the tree's and deep powder go xp. Trail go nytro! I had an xp and loved it. But now run a boosted yammie! To different animals. But for all out fun, i still liked thexp.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Boosted, go Nytro... naturally aspirated go XP..... In the mountains Nytro's are useless stock. Unless you like digging and pulling... why are you looking at a Mtn Doo and a trail Nytro? what type of riding do you do?
Thus far the total extent of my sledding has been in Island Park, which is a whoping 45 minutes from my house.
I am 46, with 4 kids and a wife, and just don't see myself doing anything too extreme, I simply can not afford the risk of serious injury with a stay at home mom and 4 kids in school.

For the most part, my days of Parachuting and Cave Diving are now behind me, but since I moved to Idaho 2 years ago I have absolutely fallen in LOVE with sledding.

The only sleds I have ridden are the 800 XPs that I have rented, and to be honest, I have LOVED them.

BUT...
From the mechanics that are good friends of mine, every one of them has suggested that if I am not up for significant maintence issues and down time, that I would likely be much happier with the Yamaha instead of the Ski Doo. And all of them agree, that if I go with the Yamaha, then the one to buy is this Nytro SE, as it will lend itself to many many years of solid riding, and is quite upgradeable down the road.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What was the concensus from the Yami side?? Or did you get similar answers as here in DOO.??
The thread over in the Yami section focuses pretty heavy on reliability, and daily cost of opperation.

For the most part, those guys love their 4 strokes.

And I have to admit, that thread that lists everyone with a 800R that has GRENADED on them, rings VERY TRUE with the mechanics that work at the local Ski-Doo shops around here.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Been on both sides of this one.... stock vs. stock the XP wins in every department other than fit & finish and maybe reliability.
All in all I have gotta say I have had way more fun riding the XP.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have an xp that I love. I did have the engine go down, but was back on the snow in 5 days. Whatever sled you go for, find a good dealer, that will take care of you. I have Winterbrew's clutch set-up in my sled, and it really performs well! I love the lightness of the sled, and how well it boondocks through the snow.

Ace
The sleds that I have rented have all come from Island Park Adventures, and all things considered they have treated me VERY WELL indeed. The owner even let me take his personal sled out for a day, and what a HUGE DIFFERENCE that was over the stock sleds. I had NO idea what a massive difference all the mods would make. It was just Night and Day!

Otherwise, I would likely end up at Rexburg Motorsports. Which of late have made some rather major changes to their whole business.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Been on both sides of this one.... stock vs. stock the XP wins in every department other than fit & finish and maybe reliability.All in all I have gotta say I have had way more fun riding the XP.
There is that UGLY RELIABILITY WORD AGAIN.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Buy a Nytro from Island Park adventures, he's a good guy. Was on a trip up there last winter and had trouble with my XP and he got it right in. Good thing I had my Nytro along though so I had a sled to ride while the XP was in the shop. Infact, was able to put more miles in my Nytro than my XP. Took the Nytro up to Jefferson peak and was amazed how it did in the climbing and deep powder.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
Why not an e-tec 600. From what I read and seen they seem to be a great machine. They are not only light but also have enough power to satisfy most people. I feel the e-tec 600 is more in the nytros class than the 800r. I personally like to ride pretty hard and climb a lot so thee 600 lacks a little bit for me but if your a guy looking for a sled that is pull and go and is an absolute blast to ride save yourself a little money and go with the 6. By the sounds of the type of rider you are I'm sure that 600 would put a smile on your face every ride.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Yeah, you better stay away from yamaha, their way too reliable. How could we ever stimulate the ecomomy if we all rode reliable sleds. I would go with Polaris, I hear that 800 is sure to keep polaris parts and service centers busy.

Premium Features