• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Front End or New CamoX 3.2

2016 Front End Kit or New CamoX 3.2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
So if you were choosing between the 2016 front end kit and the new CamoX 3.2 track; which way do you go? I am gonna do one or the other on my 2014 800SP 162.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
At what point is the track to big for a stock motor and any performance gains are lost not having enough optimal ponies to spin the thing? Is a 3.2" in a 162 track length to much for a stock motor? Obviously big bores and turbo's are another story. I guess your typical snow conditions factor into the decision also. For me personally a narrower front end was killer. Will experience a 3" track this winter so can't provide an opinion yet, but everyone I've talked to raves about the 3" tracks.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I say track if you are already at a 38" stance. The 3" powerclaw was the single best mod I ever did to my 15. I ran 7 tooth drivers. I've been on the 16 front end, skinz front end, and bdx front end. And while the front ends are good, I personally feel the 3" is better. 3.2 from a 2.6 is a nice jump. Will work with 7 tooth drivers. I thought a lack of track to tunnel clearance would rob power with the 3" powerclaw and 8 tooth drivers, but Wyoboy's '14 did just fine last year. We both run 153 tracks at 11K ft. Neither of us had to change clutching.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I'm doing both as well ...36" Cat front end and 3" track with 7 tooth drivers
Last year I went 38" and 2.6" w/belt drive and wow on both ...so looking for that again !!

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
My dealer will take my stock track back as a new exchange, so that helps out; they will also sell my stock front end for me if I go that route. The 38" front end is not as in demand as the 2.6 Powerclaw though. Poll is pretty even so far.:face-icon-small-coo

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Lack of snow in the mountains? Really?
So why the need for a 3.2 inch track?

To me it really depends on the style of riding you do. If you are in the trees all the time I could see both benefiting you a lot. If you are a point and shoot kind of guy I can't see the 36 inch making a huge difference really. I don't think the new front end is really going to make a big difference anyways unless you spend the majority of your time on 1 ski... like myself... or at least trying anyways.. haha.

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
Need more information on the type of riding you like to do.

Well at 45 years old I don't pretend I can ride like Burandt; so jumping back and forth over my seat in super tight trees is not my style. I like short steep hills, deep pow, and playing in trees with reasonable spacing and lots of secondary options so if I run out of talent to complete a chosen line, my sled doesn't end up kissing a tree. I'd say that is more honest than alot of guys.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-coo

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Well at 45 years old I don't pretend I can ride like Burandt; so jumping back and forth over my seat in super tight trees is not my style. I like short steep hills, deep pow, and playing in trees with reasonable spacing and lots of secondary options so if I run out of talent to complete a chosen line, my sled doesn't end up kissing a tree. I'd say that is more honest than alot of guys.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-coo

3+" track is probably a good option for you then. I've noticed that when you go to a more aggressive track you loose a bit of mobility just because it hooks in and wants to drive harder in the direction it is already going. If you are in deeper snow and leave yourself some room to maneuver you will be fine.

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
i lean more towards the front end for ease of maneuverability. i rode a 3 in back to back of my 2.6 both work great but i felt the front end was a bigger deal than the 3'

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Go for the track first.. Wait and see if the 16 front end is "all that" or if pricing doesn't change or you like "brand A"'s super light highly stoked suspension better.
Check around for Rental shops/swapmeet/ takeoff oem parts as well??

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Did both on my 15' last year. Did the 3" first and built 35" arms later in the year. The track was by far more of an improvement in deep powder, aggressive tree riding. My guess is those voting for the new cat front end have never ride one and are voting on pure speculation that the front end should be better. Had a 2016 153 3" M8 for spring and it handled very well, that is going to be a hard machine to beat this winter.

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
I agree with the track! Having ridden a few different sleds with 3 in tracks and varying stances. i feel the track is way more useful to your average rider. My skill level didnt require a narrower stance to enhance my riding. I felt like the deeper lug track got me out of sticky situations that my lack of technical riding got me into!

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
If I may add another option.

If you already have a 162 setup with a 2.6, I would have to think you have a lot of floatation and push.

After seeing just how much improvement in performance and smooth driving nature of a belt drive, that would be my next move... in fact, it is my next move.

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
If I may add another option.

If you already have a 162 setup with a 2.6, I would have to think you have a lot of floatation and push.

After seeing just how much improvement in performance and smooth driving nature of a belt drive, that would be my next move... in fact, it is my next move.

I'm hoping that will be stock on my next new sled in a year or two.:face-icon-small-coo

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
i did ride the new 16 with the front end and 3" track and jumped back and forth between my 15 162 and a 15 162 with a 3" track a track is better for sure but i could use the benefit of the narrow a-arms more so i get in enough trouble with the current track. if i rode in 3ft of fresh every day then yeah the 3" is a no brainer but fact is i dont i woud love to but i dont :p

Premium Features