• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lights on older bike

T
New to snowbiking - just building one up. Bought a lightly used 2014 yz450 and a used 2016 mountain horse.

No lights or battery on the bike but I'm wondering if I can use the power via the engine diagnose connector that is right by the top of the fork to power a set of lights and what lights to get if that would work?

My other option is to go with my mountain biking night lights (use to trail ride in the dark) which runs off a lithium battery - good for about 4 hours on high and very bright. I have 2 of these for better spread plus I always carry a powerful headlight in my pack.

Also what do people carry with them specifically for the snowbike? Specific tools, etc? I will carry my snowpack I use for backcountry skiing (so shovel probe etc) but I don't carry much in the way of tools when I'm skiing.

Thanx

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
New to snowbiking - just building one up. Bought a lightly used 2014 yz450 and a used 2016 mountain horse.

No lights or battery on the bike but I'm wondering if I can use the power via the engine diagnose connector that is right by the top of the fork to power a set of lights and what lights to get if that would work?

My other option is to go with my mountain biking night lights (use to trail ride in the dark) which runs off a lithium battery - good for about 4 hours on high and very bright. I have 2 of these for better spread plus I always carry a powerful headlight in my pack.

Also what do people carry with them specifically for the snowbike? Specific tools, etc? I will carry my snowpack I use for backcountry skiing (so shovel probe etc) but I don't carry much in the way of tools when I'm skiing.

Thanx
So I started off with a headlight that I wired into the bike with a switch etc and for the amount of times I used it it was a pain in the ass. I now use a LED bike type light if needed and all the excess wiring on the bike is gone.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho

Thanx
Unless you are planning on updating the stator to increase capacity I would recommend staying with the portable lights. I've seen them mounted to the helmet or the handlebars. It should cast enough light for no faster than the snowbike will be going down the trail.
I pack to many tools as that is just my nature. The couple of issues that I have seen while snowbiking are dead starter battery (lights and hand warmers drained it) and loss of the master link. With that being said, a small emergency battery pak and a couple of master links are definitely items to consider packing.
The worst issue I've seen is a wire shorting out under the fuel tank and not letting any spark get to the motor. Had to remove the tank and chase wires. But that is an extreme case.
Enjoy your new passion!

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
To answer your question, yes you can use the diagnostic plug. You can order the correct end from Eastern Beaver, wire it up and good to go. The diagnostic plug has 3 wires, +12v, ground and data. I've run an 18w light this way for years, that's as big as you want to go. Don't waste your time with electric grip heaters, go coolant heated bars.

M5

T
Thanx everyone for your input. I'll start off with two bike lights (as I have them) and mount one to my bars and the other to the helmet (with that battery in my pack) and see how things go. It would be nice to have a light on the bike, even if it's not a great light, for possible battery issues with the bike lights.

Now I'm working on my snow blanket and rad covers. I've seen some good videos on making the blankets - trying to come up with something clever for rad covers. Thanx again for the replies!

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
I have an Oxbow helmet light and also a removable RAM mounted headlight and carry a small battery in my headlight bag. Have not had the set up on the mountain but it works slick for Summer Singletrack!

20231019_153633.jpg

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Thanx everyone for your input. I'll start off with two bike lights (as I have them) and mount one to my bars and the other to the helmet (with that battery in my pack) and see how things go. It would be nice to have a light on the bike, even if it's not a great light, for possible battery issues with the bike lights.

Now I'm working on my snow blanket and rad covers. I've seen some good videos on making the blankets - trying to come up with something clever for rad covers. Thanx again for the replies!
Here is a quick, easy way to make radiator covers. I take a strip of vertical blind material and cut it to length. It normally comes 3.5“ wide. I cut a length of it to be a couple inches longer than the radiator is tall. It slides neatly between the radiator and the front plastic diverter/guard and slides down to the bottom lip of the radiator. I leave it sticking up a few inches so I can pull it out if the engine gets to warm. Of the two radiators, I almost always have one in all day except for spring riding. I always start with them both in place and then monitor engine temps. If I pull one, it fits in my tool box on the tunnel and takes up hardly any space. If it breaks, I just cut a new one. I have never had one melt or be an issue caused by heat, or anything. You could easily have something laying around that would work just as well. Enjoy!

Last edited:
T
Here is a quick, easy way to make radiator covers. I take a strip of vertical blind material and cut it to length. It normally comes 3.5“ wide. I cut a length of it to be a couple inches longer than the radiator is tall. It slides neatly between the radiator and the front plastic diverted/guard and slides down to the bottom lip of the radiator. I leave it sticking up a few inches so I can pull it out if the engine gets to warm. Of the two radiators, I almost always have one in all day except for spring riding. I always start with them both in place and then monitor engine temps. If I pull one, it fits in my tool box on the tunnel and takes up hardly any space. If it breaks, I just cut a new one. I have never had one melt or be an issue caused by heat, or anything. You could easily have something laying around that would work just as well. Enjoy!
Thanx. I was thinking maybe I can use a piece of crazy carpet (maybe that's a Canadian thing) but basically it's a piece of plastic kids would use as a light cheap sled/toboggan. I'll have to see if it fits between the plastic fins and the radiator. I was planning to use some of the same plastic for further snow protection mostly from the track.

Not sure if anyone skis/boards but I saw an excellent video on making a ski/board rack for the bike out of 1/2" plastic plate if there is any interest.

Premium Features