• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

prime rib--- oven or on the traeger?

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
So the family left easter dinner up to me so i'm thinking prime rib. I have never made one so I'm looking for a few pointers from some of the experts here.:beer;

I know slow cooking is the way to go, I'm wondering on seasonings, cooking times, temps and such.
Also I have a new traeger grill and they have a recipe, so I am wondering if anyone has used it for a good rib.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Stuff that bad boy with quartered garlic cloves. You'll find some good prime rib rubs near the meat counter. Rub it down good with the seasonings and cover with some olive oil. Start it out on the grill on med/hi heat for about 30 mins turning as needed.

Once the outside is the color you like and sealed, move it to the oven on no morethan 350. Grab one of those thermometers that probe into the meat and stay in the oven with a cord to the read out. Cheap at Wally World. If you cant get one you can bounce test it. Touch your Left index finger to your thumb (no pressure, just touch) now use your right index finger to poke/bounce the meaty part below your Left thumb. Left Index = Rare, Left middle = Med. rare, left ring finger = Med, left pinky = well done. Your prime rib will bounce the same way when you push on it. This also works on thicker steaks on your new grill too.

Follow the temps on the thermometer to your liking. 165* is a place to start. Usually a prime rib wont be the same thickness all the way down, so the narrower ends will be more done for the folks who like that, while the middle with be medium rare for my plate. The house will be smellin great too. Good luck. EW

Snoman69

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2003
Colorado Springs
So the family left easter dinner up to me so i'm thinking prime rib. I have never made one so I'm looking for a few pointers from some of the experts here.:beer;

I know slow cooking is the way to go, I'm wondering on seasonings, cooking times, temps and such.
Also I have a new traeger grill and they have a recipe, so I am wondering if anyone has used it for a good rib.

Traeger ALLLLLLL the way man...... Best prime rib I have ever had..... Followed the directions in their book, except I added some Mcormiks Steak Seasoning as well (Can get at any grocery store). Turned out awsome.... Biggest things is to watch the meat temp, that is what tells you it is done.....

God I love my traeger.... Cook everything on it... Meat, veggies, ect.....

Trukker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
High River Ab
All good pointers Boyz,Key is meat thermometer and do not over cook it.Also take it out and let it stand for a good 10 mins before carving into it.It will cook just standing there from rare to a medium rare on the counter.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
Traeger ALLLLLLL the way man...... Best prime rib I have ever had..... Followed the directions in their book, except I added some Mcormiks Steak Seasoning as well (Can get at any grocery store). Turned out awsome.... Biggest things is to watch the meat temp, that is what tells you it is done.....

God I love my traeger.... Cook everything on it... Meat, veggies, ect.....
Thanks, I'll follow their directions. MMMMM.

D
Nov 30, 2007
TRAEGER. You definitely need a thermometer. I turn my Traeger off when meat hits 100 degrees. Let the roast cool down for 1 hour, or 1 day, then fire it back up and finish it off. Take off the grill at 145, let rest for 15 min, and serve. YUMMY

00buck

Nov 26, 2007

I always hit with smoke for 2 to 3 hrs. :beer;

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Is a traeger is a rotissary too?

Ive done about 20 pigs on a roaster, and probably as many of beef roasts.
Prime rib does not need a lot of marinating, perhaps 2 hours for flavour.

What I would do is take fresh herbs:

• Rosemary
  • thyme
  • basil
  • garlic
  • marjoram
Chop them up, poke a couple of holes and stuff the herbs into the roast.
Then with whatever you have leftover from the chopped herbs, mix them into a bowl that can hold the roast with 4 tbsp. soya, 1/4 cup black bean, or oyster sauce, a couple of teaspoons of olive oil, some course ground pepper, a little water and 1/4 cup brown sugar. stir it up until it dissolves the sugar.
Place the roast into this, turning frequently. for 2 hours. If it is a sirloin tip, let it sit overnight.

When you put it on a rotissary, you can baste the roast with this.
The brown sugar will give you a nice thick glaze, and the herbs will also compliment the meat.

Man, now I am hungry!!:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
Premium Features