• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What brand for 2013?

What brand for 2013?

• 2013 Ski Doo

Votes: 229 29.7%
  • 2013 Polaris

Votes: 293 38.0%
  • 2013 Arctic Cat

Votes: 46 6.0%
  • Ill keep my current sled

Votes: 152 19.7%
  • Need to demo ride first

Votes: 52 6.7%

• Total voters

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Did Doo convince you too buy a new 2013 Ski Doo, or are you considering changing brand?

Just curious, don't want this to end up in a brand bash. Just curious what people feel.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
First impressions - I'll keep my 2012 Pro. I can't see a 2 degree movement in the skid and an added 8 pounds over 2012 summit being much better than said 2012. Who knows though... I'll definitely demo it and see how it feels. Could change my mind.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Im very exited on demoing one also, really curious what it feels like now. Last Ski Doo I owned was a 2008, but ive tried 2010 Summit Xr-s and 2012 Summits. So will be fun to see if there's any noticable difference!

M
Dec 7, 2007
Im wanted to like the new skidoo but the weight is very dissapoiting. 50 lbs heavier than the new polaris. Im checking a new pro for next year.

U
Feb 6, 2008
Camrose, Alberta
not trying to offend any poo guys (I'm actually leaning towards one myself) but, does anyone worry about maybe getting to light and not being strong enough. I mean there is a reason the xp's didn't stay at 425 dry.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
not trying to offend any poo guys (I'm actually leaning towards one myself) but, does anyone worry about maybe getting to light and not being strong enough. I mean there is a reason the xp's didn't stay at 425 dry.

Im worried. Ive added homemade braces to the skid to hold after bending 4 rails. Also changed to Z-broz front so it will hold up to jumping and hard landings, but that actully lowered some weight. The front bumper and rear bumper are also useless in my opinion, they are way to light and fragile.

But even with changing those things, the pro is still a much better sled than the ski doo xp. In MY opinion, not claiming it is a fact.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
IF I was buying a new one it would be the 2013 Pro RMK. Proven chassis that just lost even more weight. BUT I am keeping my 2012 Pro and throwing a set of Airframes on it.

I was going to sell it and buy the new DOO but its just not what I am looking for.

Joe

-lenny-

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2011
Whitecourt, Alberta
For me it is still too early to tell. Need ALL the info from ALL the manufacturers before I can make my decision.

Currently ride a cat, but it is going to take something quite significant to keep me on one. Based on what I know so far, Polaris Snowchecks are in my near future.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

I am 212lbs + gear and haven't bent/broken anything yet. To get picky...my running board extrusions are a little bowed....not nearly as much as my revs were tho. I also double my girlfriend ~30% of the time in fairly serious terrain, so that would be some extra strain.

If you're talking about hitting stumps, trees and rocks....well, good luck finding a sled that likes that. If you are riding over your head you will break anything.

M

merlin2569

Jan 13, 2008
Clarkfield, MN
I was hoping ski doo was going to do enough to sway me to them. But it looks like i will either be riding my turbo nytro one more year or going to a pro. Unless cat really comes with something but i'm not gonna hold my breath.

U
Feb 6, 2008
Camrose, Alberta
I am 212lbs + gear and haven't bent/broken anything yet. To get picky...my running board extrusions are a little bowed....not nearly as much as my revs were tho. I also double my girlfriend ~30% of the time in fairly serious terrain, so that would be some extra strain.

If you're talking about hitting stumps, trees and rocks....well, good luck finding a sled that likes that. If you are riding over your head you will break anything.

nope, wasn't talking about the rocks and stumps, just general aggressive riding. all am thinking is that there we be a certain point were the light-weight "juice" isn't worth the loss-of-strength "squeeze". having said that, if polaris' weight savings have only come from things like the carbon fiber, new seat, belt drive, adhesives and boards, maybe strength will stay at an adequate level.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
What did polaris do thats going to compromise strength? I saw the 2013's in person this weekend and they are awesome. The carbon fiber upper will be just as strong, the a arms eliminated a weak point (the brace in the middle of the old ones), and the running boards are much stouter. This sled has almost 250 changes from the 12's from nuts and bolts to injectors/ wiring harnesses, to the belt drive. Im running out of excuses to not snowcheck a pro.

U
Feb 6, 2008
Camrose, Alberta
What did polaris do thats going to compromise strength? I saw the 2013's in person this weekend and they are awesome. The carbon fiber upper will be just as strong, the a arms eliminated a weak point (the brace in the middle of the old ones), and the running boards are much stouter. This sled has almost 250 changes from the 12's from nuts and bolts to injectors/ wiring harnesses, to the belt drive. Im running out of excuses to not snowcheck a pro.

I guess you answered my question, I haven't been fortunate enough to have seen one in person yet. Can't wait to see how they perform over the next year. (both the xm and pro) I think I can wait till' then to buy a new sled, that way all the kinks (if any) will be established and hopefully worked out.

stephenr_65

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Henefer, Ut
nope, wasn't talking about the rocks and stumps, just general aggressive riding. all am thinking is that there we be a certain point were the light-weight "juice" isn't worth the loss-of-strength "squeeze". having said that, if polaris' weight savings have only come from things like the carbon fiber, new seat, belt drive, adhesives and boards, maybe strength will stay at an adequate level.

I will agree with the Front and rear bumper being crap but not i have pounded on my pro very hard over stumps rocks etc and havent broke anything besides 1 front bumper which was my fault and 2 rear bumpers not my fault they are just way too weak

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Also, the Summit’s painted tunnel works well at limiting snow to flash freeze on the chassis, weighing the sled down.

(one of my conciderations, the Poo sure packs the ice on )

ArcticDoo2

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2007
Eastern SD
everybody is all concerned about all this "dry weight" stuff, but has anyone honestly gone out and ridden all day and weighed them at the end of the day? As stated lots of times in other posts, the painted tunnels and rails on the ski-doos doesn't let snow stick to them. On my 2010 XP and the other Pros and cats I ride with, they are always beating snow off their sleds at the end of the day before we put them in the trailer and my dad and I have nothing stuck anywhere on ours... Just curious if this has happened. It can be as light as it wants in the parking lot before it gets ridden, but I bet it gains somewhere close to what it has lost over the XP's.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Looks like Doo will once again be dominating the western market. :pop2:
Ha. Ha. Ha. :face-icon-small-hap

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com

I Hit a stump up on the hill that stopped the my 2012 ProRMK in my tracks. Over the bars I went. Polaris designs the A-arms to break off before any damage to the bulkhead. The bulkhead is fine. I just went to the dealer and got a new lower A-arm bolted it on (which is super easy on the pro) and away I went. Back in business.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Ive changed 3 lower a-arms on my sled, and that is still way cheaper than one bulkhead. Looked at a 2009 Renegade here the other day, front bulkhead/frame broken in atleast 3 different places and one shock bent, all a-arms are still fine, this was after hitting a tree. That sounds scary too me, since im know to be a sled-tree-hugger. :)

Premium Features