• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handlebar Swap Heated Grips question

R
Apr 1, 2018
I'm going to upgrade my handlebars to some CFR bars. I currently have a set of Mid bars on my 2022 Matryx Pro RMK and want to go lower. I also have a 2013 Pro rmk that has taller bars around 7" high. my question has to do with hand warmer compatibility between the 2022 and 2013. can I just simply swap my mid bars off my matryx over to the 2013 Pro rmk and should be plug and play? or is there going to be an issue with warmers. also wondering if the older 2013 pro rmk warmers could/should work with the 2022 matryx if i cut them off and use them on my new cfr bars.

trying to avoid cutting/peeling off both sets of warmers if i don't have to but may end up doing so. Just thought i would post and see what you all think. at $100 a pair of warmers a set it gets expensive quick esp since these ones already work fine.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The matryx warmers have cork under the elements.

Work way better.

Also the better wire sheath.

Just buy new warmers from the matryx trail sled so it wraps onto the handlebar hook of the cfr bars. splice on the ends from the 13 onto your matryx handlebars when installing onto the 13.

13 gets an upgrade
Matryx gets new warmers. (With the cfr bars)

R
Apr 1, 2018
That's a great idea. I was just gonna say anyone use the rsi hand warmers? But you say the trail sled warmers will work and warm the bend area as well? Don't the trail sleds have like smart warmers tho? U sure they will plug and play?

Any link to ones you're talking about?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
That's a great idea. I was just gonna say anyone use the rsi hand warmers? But you say the trail sled warmers will work and warm the bend area as well? Don't the trail sleds have like smart warmers tho? U sure they will plug and play?

Any link to ones you're talking about?
Some trail sled warmers are 3 wire.
That’s what you want.

Rsi warmers are ok, wires are less flexible and the wire sheath gets brittle in extreme cold.

R
Apr 1, 2018
Some trail sled warmers are 3 wire.
That’s what you want.

Rsi warmers are ok, wires are less flexible and the wire sheath gets brittle in extreme cold.
Got it. Any idea what model sled has the warmers I'm looking for? The indy? And you say they would cover the curve on the handlebars as well?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
This is a 4 wire from the indy.

Unpin the connector and then you can repin it and IMG_9762.pngchoose “high / low” or “low / mid” or “mid / high” for your use.IMG_9763.jpeg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Nice! I may give it a go. I'll just have to figure out which wire is hi low med I guess and see which two I wanna wire up. Prolly just hi and low.
Just bring the matryx handlebars into your dealership before cutting the ends off.

Make sure the pins inside the plugs are compatible. With the indy heaters.

A long pick will let you remove the pins without damage and change your heat setting down the road if it’s too hot or cold.

R
Apr 1, 2018
Just bring the matryx handlebars into your dealership before cutting the ends off.

Make sure the pins inside the plugs are compatible. With the indy heaters.

A long pick will let you remove the pins without damage and change your heat setting down the road if it’s too hot or cold.

Yea that's what I'm wondering if the Indy heaters will be compatible. My dealer is 2.5hr away. Hmm. I do like the idea of hearing the whole bar to the 45deg end tho. I wonder if anyone else with cfr bars has done this. Chime in if so. I'm Curious.

R
Apr 1, 2018
Plug n play.

It’s just the wire sheath that is vinyl instead of braided.

View attachment 409784
Nice I might give those a shot. Hoping they get hot enough.

Found these ones too

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I ended up ordering those RSI grip heaters the extended ones with Polaris oem fitting. Part GL-22.

I was reading about corking insulation but afraid of the added bulk. I think I'm gonna try these out but can't find much info about them.

RSI grip insulators.
The Oem Polaris ones have very thin insulation.

You will probably be fine with just heaters. (Besides you can buy electrical heat shrink from cheaper places than SPI)

I end up riding extremely cold weather (-20 to -30F before windchill) so i go for the hottest possible grips.

R
Apr 1, 2018
Gotcha, I acutally ordered RSI Insulator tubes. looks like just some heat shrink that i'm guessing goes under the warmers on the bars first before the hand warmers. on my OEM polaris warmers I rarelyi ran high as it was too hot. mostly on low during snow days. Hoping that this setup isn't TOO hot on low. It doesn't get that cold out here where we ride in CA coldest riding temps are probably in the teens. I wear non insulated gloves. I think i'll give the insulator a go, hoping its not to bulky but i guess with the CFR SDG bars I should be solid. they are 2mm smaller at the grip than typical 7/8 bars.

R
Apr 1, 2018
Just to come full circle back to this. i'm going back to polaris OEM heaters. these RSI heaters are absolute garbage on my matryx. they barely get warm on high and the oem heaters I could rarely use them on high as they were too hot. hoping by installing these nothing electrical wiese has been changed or compromised but deff stick with OEM if you want warm hands.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just to come full circle back to this. i'm going back to polaris OEM heaters. these RSI heaters are absolute garbage on my matryx. they barely get warm on high and the oem heaters I could rarely use them on high as they were too hot. hoping by installing these nothing electrical wiese has been changed or compromised but deff stick with OEM if you want warm hands.
I went through the same thing in 2015.

Oem heaters only now.

Premium Features