• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aro3 vs Riot3

T
Probably I dumb question but what are the mechanical differences between these? Looking at the site specs they are the same - even the same ski. I'm just curious is all. I have read the reports how how different they feel/ride but I'm curious what are the actual differences mechanically?

Also I looked at the fit kits and I don't understand why they give 2 fit kits different numbers but they have the exact same parts (based on part numbers). I was looking at the fit kits between MH and Aro3 for a yz450. The kit numbers were different but each component in the kit had the same part number. What did I miss?

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
Probably I dumb question but what are the mechanical differences between these? Looking at the site specs they are the same - even the same ski. I'm just curious is all. I have read the reports how how different they feel/ride but I'm curious what are the actual differences mechanically?

Also I looked at the fit kits and I don't understand why they give 2 fit kits different numbers but they have the exact same parts (based on part numbers). I was looking at the fit kits between MH and Aro3 for a yz450. The kit numbers were different but each component in the kit had the same part number. What did I miss?
Suspension in the skids are different. ARO will feel more planted and Riot will be more wild. (think easier to wheelie) Fit kits differ on the lower strut mount. (how the strut attaches to the skid)

T
Suspension in the skids are different. ARO will feel more planted and Riot will be more wild. (think easier to wheelie) Fit kits differ on the lower strut mount. (how the strut attaches to the skid)
So just the shock/valving on the shock is different? Nothing else? An entire kit based on a different shock.

Is the lower strut mount part number not listed in the fit tables? Would you just order the mount based on kit since it doesn't have a part number in the table?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Have you looked at pictures of them side by side?

Suspension is totally different.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'll explain the tech difference. The riot has a very stiff front spring and a very soft rear spring. This takes a lot of weight off of the fork so the bike feels much more nimble like a dirt bike. If you put that stiff of a spring on a arrow it would wheelie way too much when you give it throttle because of the short swing arm attached to the front of the rails. So on the riot they made the swingarm longer to attach to the back of the rails. This makes the riot hold the front end down when you grab the throttle or climb a hill. So they can get away with the ridiculous spring rates without too much wheelie action.
People will tell you that the arrow climbs better and a riot is more fun and playful. I personally own only riots these days and I can make them climb as good as an arrow with very little effort they can do anything you want. They will both suffer against a mountaintop kit for true climbing performance because the mountain top is an inch wider and just has the most massive track on the planet. But in my opinion climbing hills should not be not the only metric to measure the performance of a snow bike.

T
I'll explain the tech difference. The riot has a very stiff front spring and a very soft rear spring. This takes a lot of weight off of the fork so the bike feels much more nimble like a dirt bike. If you put that stiff of a spring on a arrow it would wheelie way too much when you give it throttle because of the short swing arm attached to the front of the rails. So on the riot they made the swingarm longer to attach to the back of the rails. This makes the riot hold the front end down when you grab the throttle or climb a hill. So they can get away with the ridiculous spring rates without too much wheelie action.
People will tell you that the arrow climbs better and a riot is more fun and playful. I personally own only riots these days and I can make them climb as good as an arrow with very little effort they can do anything you want. They will both suffer against a mountaintop kit for true climbing performance because the mountain top is an inch wider and just has the most massive track on the planet. But in my opinion climbing hills should not be not the only metric to measure the performance of a snow bike.
Thanx! Good explanation.

About the lower strut mount, do you or anyone know if the part number is listed in the fit tables? Would you just order the mount based on kit since it doesn't have a part number in the table?

Premium Features