• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What brand for 2013?

What brand for 2013?

• 2013 Ski Doo

Votes: 229 29.7%
  • 2013 Polaris

Votes: 293 38.0%
  • 2013 Arctic Cat

Votes: 46 6.0%
  • Ill keep my current sled

Votes: 152 19.7%
  • Need to demo ride first

Votes: 52 6.7%

• Total voters
S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Had a chat with someone fairly experienced with CMX drive systems and belt drives and he made a pretty good point, he's done quite a few with the tensioner or idler and his comment was, yeah its there but he said he can't remember one time that it was used to tighten a belt from stretching. Maybe a bit more convemient to take the belt off or change gearing but stretched belts has been a non issue. And if a belt needs changing or might need changing as regular maintenance at 2 or 3000 kms, I would see that as quite reasonable, similar to what our expectations are of a chain, so whats the difference. More good than bad in this change for Poo i think.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Doo changed everything that i wanted to see changed,sure weight loss would have been nice ,but i'm one of those guys who could shave 20 pounds myself so what ever.A bigger motor ya ,but do i need more no so what ever.O Ya and these poll [bogggas] I rip over to cat and poo and vote doo everytime even knowing I AINT BUY JACK SH!T this year.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Keeping the 09. It's dialed. I have it set up the way I want and I don't feel the need to drop 14k on something that I'd need to start over modifying.

My sled, from the floor to my trailer with mods (minus the turbo) cost way less than a stock PRO, XM or *eek* the Pro-Climb. And works better, for me.

The way I see is that some pretty decent ideas came to light but I'm not willing to shell out that much money to become a free product tester.

The XM skid: looks like it may work but I bet that they increase the 4° range of motion come 2014 and add a belt drive. The rest of the stuff like the pow deflector, adjustable windshield, LED light is lame. Does nothing to add value or functionality to the sled, IMO. The heated glove box is cool but the fact that there was no weight loss is a FAIL in my book. The stock motor is a nice powerplant. Make the sled lighter and I believe that most folks would be happy.

The PRO: Yes, lighter weight. Still think too much came off too fast. I think that structural integrity was compromised. The CF bumpers are lame and fragile. You have to replace them with something 3 times as heavy to make them useful. The 2 wheel belt drive will fail, you NEED a tensioner. Every belt stretches. Two wheels leave the possibility for the belt to stretch, vibrate and slip. On both sides. Belt drives are old tech, but good tech. C3 and CMX have been doing it for years, why the manufacturers didn't put that tech on a stocker a while ago baffles me. The lack of HP for a stock sled, no matter how light doesn't make sense. Most guys toss a BD or silber kit on to get the hp they want. Why not wake the stock motor up?

The Cat: Haven't heard anything yet, but they MUST come up with something because the PRO-CLIMB is in the ranks of the Polaris 900. So wait and see waht they come up with to atone for the pile of crap they dropped for 2012.

Yammie: Not even in the ballpark. They look cool but are too heavy and even with a stock turbo their HP is no match for even the low rated Pro hp. But they have a very loyal clientele. I love the idea of a powerful thumper in a 500 pound chassis. Hurry up and do it.

And for Christ's sake, quit allowing the prices to skyrocket uncontrollably. 14k is too stinking high. We read threads and posts all day, every day from guys who love the idea, the functionality of a product and would buy it right then and there but the price is too high. There are ways to cut costs in R&D, operations and admin so the elevated price is not handed off to the client. And FYI, the economy still sucks. Scratch our back and we scratch yours.
completely wrong on belt drive. Had one. No tensioner
4000 miles same belto

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
The auto industry has used cogged timing belts for years that are 1-1 1/2" wide. When installed, they are tensioned and not looked at for 50,000 miles or more. Stretch is a non-issue. My only concern is shock-loading. EG; You get a little air time and track is spinning and the throttle is still applied, then you come down on a stump, rock, etc. That is a HUGE shock load on the belt.

Last edited:
R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Over 2000 miles on my belt and no stretch. (it actually seems to tighten when warm ). The anodizing on the gears look like new. Belt has a layer of teflon inside.
I try to shock it all day long...........runs great!

L
Apr 30, 2010
N/E AB
I laugh at the fools on here that have to keep posting because someone has chosen a brand they don't ride. I respect those who give their input once and respect the opinion of others. Someone posted here in the end he chose Doo because his local dealer is great, same reason I choose Poo where I live. To those that have to repeatedly post regarding their concerns about lack of h/p or( jelousy ) about the belt drive suck it up, Poo has it and you don't have to buy it. Anyway regardless of which brand you choose enjoy your ride and I'll see you at the top, I'll be on my Poo.:peace:

J

jlebrun_05

Dec 9, 2007
Dell Rapids, SD
I would like to trade to a new skidoo, but we'll see what they want to trade first. Side note- would my electric start from an 09 fit an etec or 13?

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
After reading about what others have said about the XM on Dootalk, Facebook I have seen that everybody who has ridden it thinks it's a pretty badas$ sled. I have a friend that runs the Steamboat Springs, Co dealership and he is just wowed by it.

So the fact that this poll has gotten so one sided leads me to believe that it's not a very accurate poll. I think some folks have just jumped in here from another section (gee, imagine that) and voted, just to make it look one sided.

A TRUE Doo fan and loyalist would never bail because Poo has a belt drive. If it is in fact true, I'm ashamed of those who say they love Doo but are switching. I'm staying and I'll be here for a while. I can do anything I want on my XP, it's easy and I can do it as long as my body holds out.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
True loyalist? Lmao!

I could care less what brand I ride, but I refuse to ride an inferior sled because of the sticker.

I've had cat, Polaris, doo and Yamaha. I'll switch to the better sled at any point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
LMAO !! Not on my own. 50% of all mountain sleds sold for this model year were Pro's. Hmmm, Poo must've done something right.
Do you ride my sled?Do you know anything about me?I'm going to help you out ,because people that know me would agree the Doo is right for me .I don't care what 50% OF THE PEOPLE do I made the switch when it seem like 75% people did to the rev in 04 ,but i switched in 03.5 from polaris.My buddy switched to poo last year and is back on doo this year.beleave it or not some people ride whats suits them not what stats say.O FYI I'm in a wheel chair so ya the doo is stable yet can be thrown around when needed,and Better yet I CAN GO STRAIGHT UP WHEN I NEED TO get over it I'm stoked your looking forward to your new poo and that it fits your needs,but telling everybody they have there blinders on is pretty ignorant considering you know dick about that person.:nono:

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
After reading about what others have said about the XM on Dootalk, Facebook I have seen that everybody who has ridden it thinks it's a pretty badas$ sled. I have a friend that runs the Steamboat Springs, Co dealership and he is just wowed by it.

So the fact that this poll has gotten so one sided leads me to believe that it's not a very accurate poll. I think some folks have just jumped in here from another section (gee, imagine that) and voted, just to make it look one sided.

A TRUE Doo fan and loyalist would never bail because Poo has a belt drive. If it is in fact true, I'm ashamed of those who say they love Doo but are switching. I'm staying and I'll be here for a while. I can do anything I want on my XP, it's easy and I can do it as long as my body holds out.

Hey we all like what we like , some dark meat some white meat, and good for us, ride what you like , cause it fits. But whats with this loyalist crap ? Good god man, talk about a one way street, talking loyalty to a brand of anything that make changes to your choice of ride, whenever they want based on their ability to sell more of it to the masses, and if it works or fits you, well lucky you if not, well make do fellas and thanks for your 14 grand. Our available choices the last bunch of years have been pretty damn nice but if you absolutely stuck with any of them just cause of the decal, I'll say your misguided and undeserved loyalty cost you some enjoyment. Examples, 01 Doo 800's ech, Poo cranks issues in early 2000's yikes, the 01 and 02 Cat 800 tank, the 07 Doo 800 debacle, the 08 and 09 Dragon screwup, the Yammi Phazer abortion. My take , there been some awesome machine and features put out the last 20 or 30 years and I enjoyed a lot of em, and have never given thought one to not experiecing the new and improved because of a brand loyalty issue. They can get my 12 or 15 grand, when they convince me their product will be good for me, not because it says Doo, Poo Cat or Yammi. Every dog has his day man, been proven over and over. Glad you like your Doo. I love my (fill in current sled) and if i didn't it would be replaced with what is obviously working. Brand loyalty..... I don't get it, sorry.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I missed most of those Doo debacles. Mainly because I ride a sled and I ride it for a while.

Started on the 1998 Summit 670 and modded that until there were no more mods I could buy. Had it set up pretty light and the thing ripped.

Then jumped to the 2005 REV 144 and built it how I wanted

Then jumped to the 2008 XP. Couple issues but not BRPs fault. The dealer replaced the leaky oil bottle and left air bubbles in the oil line. Enough to cause a pretty decent crank failure which ended up in me getting a new motor. Second day out after the new motor I tagged a boulder. The sled went to salvage

I got the 2009 X 154. Crank failed, had new crank (warranty) by the nest weekend. Lost a ring in early 2011. New motor by the next Saturday. Other than that, no issues whatsoever.

For me, it's been a good run on a Doo. If something happened, I was always taken care of fast! I'll take that over anything.

Premium Features