• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camso anyone?

C
Jan 2, 2013
Ive been riding Timbersled since 2013. I had an St to start with back when they were white knuckle rides to the good snow. Next switched to a 15 Lt and this year snow checked a 137 LE and picked up a Camso. That being Said, I had my first ride on my Camso mounted to a yz450fx last weekend in 2 to 3ft with no base. Not the best snow for comparison but I can say I never once said to myself my Timbersled woulda done that. 50mph on the trail very easy to do, considerably more nimble in slow turning, single rail design or 129 vs 137? I cant say. I was pretty skeptical for sure after seeing the kit in person, the suspension doesn't look fancy by any means. On the chopped road it handled fine and didn't kick up in the rear like I have experienced on my TS. I would say if I was looking to get a used snowbike kit or less expensive i'd buy a Camso over a 13/14 TS. I love my TS don't get me wrong but I'm not gonna say they are the only ones that work. As for fit and finish the rear end fits up just the same a TS, the front is waaayyy easier to mount than the TS, pretty clever way to make it universal. The pre-bled brake is kinda a joke, you still have to be able to route the line, perk is that there is no air in the line except a little at the MC when you hook it back up. Chain maintenance in the field kinda sucks, having to remove the tunnel cover is inconvenient, but some holes for an socket and extention will take care of that. Next ride will say a lot more about the Camso, if I don't ride my completely snow prepped 14 Kx490f LE 137
:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I don't see how that single rail can not be anything but impressive , it's got to be so much more stable and not as like to get pitched from side to side ?

Anyone know what the price of just the ski is ?

I seen a blue one so they must have color choices also ?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Looks like they have some good ideas. The track looks good and you'd think they'd know a thing or two about tracks. I'm intrigued by the monorail, its narrowness seems like a really solid idea. In the first black and white pic it shows a third shock. Is that an option? They haven't done a very good job of getting the word and/or information out though. Camso needs to be on here answering questions if they want to sell a bunch of these.

http://www.wps-inc.com/news-story/camso-snow-bike-conversion-kits-available-wps

M5

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The open center windows on a two rail skid helps get rid of extra weight but the disadvantage is that they trench more and is really noticeable on a narrow track . I would think this mono rail would not have that problem , the hyfax might even run cooler . Not to mention no aluminum rail/rails to pack snow . Should be the lightest one out there by the end of the day .

M
Jan 14, 2004
I talked with a friend of mine who has 5 or 6 rides on the kit now. He claims with the monorail it has a very dirt bike feel, most of any kit he has ridden which is most of them. He was also saying how well the track works, claims it really shovels snow. Says its heavy to pick up, load and move around but you don't feel it when riding. Sounds like so far so good. He also owns a TS. I need to try this out myself.

M5

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
If he's getting that kind of a response from this kit with the same lugged track that has gotten raved reviews from the mountain sled machines speaks loud .

The ditch and trail bangers aught to eat this skid up like candy with a studded ripsaw version :face-icon-small-hap

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Wait ?? Before you bum me out can you find out what part about this ski sucks ?

I'm guessing it has something to do with it not having a center wear bar but that might not be the reason to put the stake in the coffin yet ?

There is a disadvantage to a center wear bar too .

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I too build many 4 runner skis and had mixed results-they dart badly on the trail as you go from one carbide to the other hard to go straight.

A centre runner allows a much more natural roll for side to side and significantly better trail manners.

For trail riding the Timber sled ski with triple carbides centre and sides is unbeatable. Nothing else comes even close.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I guess its OK on the trail but he doesn't care about that at all and to be honest I could care less about the trail as well . Where my buddy says it falls short is it wont hold near the side hill that the TS ski or Yeti ski will when you try to point it on a steep side hill it just washes out and you lose your line. They are running 2 or 3 of these kits everyday, next step is to try a different ski which is going to take some fab work because neither the Yeti or TS is a bolt on. They are also trying to play with the strut rod to get more ski pressure but every ones gut feel is the ski needs to go away.

M5

Last edited:
P
Jan 20, 2016
I guess its OK on the trail but he doesn't care about that at all and to be honest I could care less about the trail as well . Where my buddy says it falls short is it wont hold near the side hill that the TS ski or Yeti ski will when you try to point it on a steep side hill it just washes out and you lose your line. They are running 2 or 3 of these kits everyday, next step is to try a different ski which is going to take some fab work because neither the Yeti or TS is a bolt on. They are also trying to play with the strut rod to get more ski pressure but every ones gut feel is the ski needs to go away.

M5

Maybe raise the forks in the triple clamps a little to put more weight on the front?

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Where my buddy says it falls short is it wont hold near the side hill

M5

That makes sense , not enough bite .

If you where to line all the kits up for a drag race , which the magazines and people are going to do , I would put my money on this one because it has the ski with the least resistance . The skis with the center bar so far are hands done the best performing but even on the heavy weight I ride I can tell a noticeable difference threw out the power band of a ski with or without a center bar .

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I have heard some testers have added 1" to the outside runners and that made a big difference in the skis handling. Take it for what its worth.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Exactly, take it for what its worth. I'm just reporting back what I have been told, but that said these guys I know ride 70 plus days a year so they know a thing or two and I trust their opinions. I still want to form my own conclusions.

M5

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
2 rides and impressed

I have no experience with other kits besides having a 2 motor years ago. I can't see this not being competitive. Was out in deep powder and it just rocked. Have a video on Facebook. Fullthrottle Motorsports page plus have some pics. Will try to see if I can post them here. Was out with 3 sleds and was only one not getting stuck. Not saying better than sled but is hard to get stuck.

R
Aug 3, 2016
The first issue with a gas can is the shell on its own isn't strong enough.

My temp solution is 3/8 plywood. As odd as it sounds worked great.

10L gas can & pelican hard case held down by spring retractable ratchet straps.

image.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Checked one of these out at the dealer yesterday that was mounted up to a 2016 KTM 450 XC-F. Wasn't anything about the design I disliked, but my heels contacted the sides of it so I had to stand on the outside of the pegs a little more than I would have liked. I do wear size 16 shoes so it might not be a problem for others.

Premium Features