• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grand Lake?

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Hey guys and gals,
New to the board and fairly new to sledding in CO.

Have a bud coming out for a few days of riding and we were thinking about GL? We both grew up on sleds in the midwest and rode Vail Pass last year.
We're far from experts out here, but are looking to find some air and get stuck in the pow without killing ourselves.

We'll be renting and it looks like 144" 600's are what's available in GL, but having never ridden the area don't know what to expect. Will these be enough? Is it a good area to ride a few days?

I have to pick him up down in Den and heard you can rent sleds and a trailer for a decent rate there which opens up the opportunity to bail and try elsewhere (Rabbit Ears) if GL isn't what we expect?

What do you guys think, any suggestions from the local experts?

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
if your new to mountain riding, then GL would be your best choice IMO. You can ride from town. tons of places to rent, large trail system that is well maintained. basically like a ski village but for snowmobilers. your sleds would do fine as long as they are set up for altitude..

Oh, and I have a couple of cabins in GL you could rent if you need ;)

A
Jan 29, 2008
Golden, CO
You will not be disappointed riding Grand Lake. Tons of trails, valleys, and some great hills. The sleds that you are renting should be just fine. I know that some of the rental places up there they rent out 500. Have fun.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Thanks for the info! We'll be at the "Inn" downtown, wanted to be able to hit the bars to partake in some adult beverages without having to drive anywhere after riding.

If anyone's interested in schooling a couple of "flatlanders" on the best of Grand Lake...:) There's a great chance for a Mtn riding knowledge for beers payment plan:beer;on the 15th/16th, or if you'd just like to meet up for a few frosties, let me know!

Hope you all are enjoying the sun after the insane windblown snow the last few days. Have Fun!

R

Raginhemi

Nov 30, 2007
Parker
Just be aware of the avy danger on Gravel Mountain. Fresh slides all over the place. I was up there on Thursday and I have never seen cornices that big. Heck, the drifts in the trees were 10-20 feet deep. Very impressive! It was snowing very hard and white out conditions. That kept me from thinking about climbing Gravel Mountain. I don't think it is going to take much for an avalanche. Just be careful! We did follow a couple Moose on the trail. That was an awesome site. Regards!

M
Aug 29, 2005
Arvada, Colorado
Just be aware of the avy danger on Gravel Mountain. Fresh slides all over the place. I was up there on Thursday and I have never seen cornices that big. Heck, the drifts in the trees were 10-20 feet deep. Very impressive! It was snowing very hard and white out conditions. That kept me from thinking about climbing Gravel Mountain. I don't think it is going to take much for an avalanche. Just be careful! We did follow a couple Moose on the trail. That was an awesome site. Regards!
We were up there yesterday for our Flight for Life fundraiser. Best snow conditions I have EVER seen up there!

Watch the avy's at Gravel Mtn. There were fresh slides yesterday. We found some amazing powder. 3' easy! Best day of riding I have had in a few years now.:cool:[/I]

Premium Features