• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is fogging the engine really needed...

KickAspiratedTurbskis

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2024
Skidoo 850 has a process to fog built into it, which is fairly simple. Owners manual explains how to do it. No fog oil needed just start the machine and either select on the 10.25 or hold the button on the gauge and it will go through the process on its own.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
No harm in doing a fog other than potentially fouling some plugs. Necessity kind of depends on where you live. I live in a place so dry people can get old farm trucks running after sitting for 50 years.

I'm against regular start-ups. Unless you get it good and hot every time you're just introducing moisture from combustion to sit in the system. I just give the rope a pull once in a while to move things around.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Seems to foul plugs sometimes on the ones I have fogged (Doo 800 and 850) Never happened if I didnt go through the “smmerize” function. Has happened enough times that it isn’t a fluke or coincidence, especially if that first start up is when it’s fairly cold.

Beyond that, I like the concept of lots of oil for storage. Although I don’t keep the sleds long enough for it to make a difference during my ownership.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I keep my sleds to 4k-7k miles, still not long enough to see the difference.
I too am dry moderate off season tho.

D
2stroke oil gets everywhere on these things….
natural Fog
If you are getting oil everywhere…..there is DEFINITELY something wrong with your sled! The only downside to fogging is….possible fouled plugs( if you start it and let it warm up for awhile without touching the throttle…I’ve never seen fouled plugs) and also you get a lot of smoke 💨 on first start up after the fogging when late fall comes. I would recommend doing it on a doo! You can also pop out the plugs and dump a little 50w in the cylinders if you don’t want to do the factory fogging setup. Good luck! Pick your poison ☠️ wisely!!!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd say fogging - with fogging oil - is an ideal practice, but one that I don't bother with. Dry climate here, so it's not likely to make a difference. For those who do have to deal with higher humidity, fogging oil is probably a better thing than the "self-fogging" feature. The reason is synthetic tends not to cling to metal as well; I seem to remember @indydan saying he saw a lot more rusty cranks and such coming in as people transitioned to synthetic.

I do like starting my sleds occasionally over the summer, but I can see the point on it maybe making things worse if you don't get things hot enough. It might be good for the fuel system to see some activity though. For someone in a dry climate and/or storing sleds inside though, I don't think corrosion is ever going to be an issue. Ultimately, some climates and storage conditions call for it, but I think for most of us it's never going to make a difference.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
If you fog it, then you are not circulating oil through the oil pump and carburetor. Oil will solidify in the carburetor injectors if the engine is not run. So running the engine periodically is better than fogging. I run them every 1 to 2 months in the summer when stored inside in relatively constant temperature. Outside storage can cause water condensation when the temperature drops, which could then cause internal rust if all parts are not coated with oil from periodically running the engine.

D
If you fog it, then you are not circulating oil through the oil pump and carburetor. Oil will solidify in the carburetor injectors if the engine is not run. So running the engine periodically is better than fogging. I run them every 1 to 2 months in the summer when stored inside in relatively constant temperature. Outside storage can cause water condensation when the temperature drops, which could then cause internal rust if all parts are not coated with oil from periodically running the engine.
Carburetor’s??? Who has those these days? We are in the fuel injected days my friend! 😂

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I would put over 10000miles on our old trail sleds. I fogged them every year and they sat outside all summer under a tarp.
Never heard such nonsense as fogging does not supply oil, the engine is running in the fogging process, so the oil pump is still turning.

I will stick to fogging and storage mode. This is why I don’t like buying used sleds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features