• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

engine temp at idle - what is normal temp

J
Apr 7, 2021
nw
If I run my sled in the garage (50 degrees outside ) just idling ,should the engine temp stabilize at some degree, or will it keep climbing. Mine keeps climbing and I shut it off when it crosses 150sh. I wonder if that is normal ? I need to update my maps and the update takes longer, so I need to run my sled to have the screen running (no battery in my sled), but the update takes too long and I need to shut off my sled before it completes the update and overheats. thx!

- 17 RMK 800

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
It will keep climbing. No snow hitting your heat exchanger to cool down your engine coolant.

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
You could wait until summer and hit the heat exchanger with a garden hose to keep temps down. Might work?

J
Apr 7, 2021
nw
Thank you for confirming it is normal, that was my main question. I was running a fan blowing under the tunnel, I even added an ice bag to make the air cooler, but I still could not keep the temp low enough. I may try that hose idea - thx!

M
Jan 8, 2022
Sanford MI
If I run my sled in the garage (50 degrees outside ) just idling ,should the engine temp stabilize at some degree, or will it keep climbing. Mine keeps climbing and I shut it off when it crosses 150sh. I wonder if that is normal ? I need to update my maps and the update takes longer, so I need to run my sled to have the screen running (no battery in my sled), but the update takes too long and I need to shut off my sled before it completes the update and overheats. thx!

- 17 RMK 800
Normal- All mine keep climbing-my 2018's shut off automatically at about 10 minutes if the throttle isn't touched, I don't know if it's a Polaris or EPA thing, 3- 2018 Axys Pro-S.

Premium Features