Zollinger Tube Chassis Restoration

Sep 25, 2017
73
67
18
I had been searching for a pre-built motor similar to what I had used for the 800 with no success. Everything I had been able to find was either a basket case or a shipping nightmare. So I decided rather than roll the dice on someone else's problem I would have an engine built to my specifications. Luckily I was able to track a great candidate just a few hours away. it had came from a low mileage 97 Mach 1 but I'm guessing it had locked up after sitting for so many years. After removing the head I couldn't see any obvious signs of damage so it is something in the bottom end. 80.jpg 81.jpg 73.jpg 74.jpg 75.jpg
 
Sep 25, 2017
73
67
18
Aside from the material needed for the motor mounts, another awesome piece of the puzzle I'm expecting to arrive this week are the original pipes that were modified for this chassis. A huge thanks goes out to Curt at Fastrax for offering them up. he currently owns the original 700 engine and has it in a extremely clean wedge chassis asphalt sled running in the five second range at over 110mph in the 1/8th mile. Curt has been extremely helpful throughout both builds with supplying parts, information, photos and advise. 72.jpg 71.jpg j.jpg f.jpg
 

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
69,352
11,443
113
48
W Mont
I thought some of you may like to see a build I wrapped up earlier this spring and hopefully it’ll help turn up another sled I’ve been looking for. Without getting too crazy into the long story of finding this sled it was found in Alaska after being sold by a family member, unfortunately it had been parted out to the point where it was almost unrecognizable. View attachment 353657 View attachment 353660 View attachment 353662
I REMEMBER THAT SLED.
I KNOW I downloaded pics of it onto my hard drive back in the day.
 
Sep 25, 2017
73
67
18
Here’s a little bit of what I have been working on since my last update. The motor mounts directly to the chassis using very old style Polaris rubber isolators. Only issue was the isolator themselves and the center bushings have been discontinued. After a few days I was lucky enough to track down the rubbers in Canada, (thank you elk island sales.) I needed 12 and they had 13. I didn’t have much luck with the center bushing however and rather than paying $6 a piece for them I bought a whole chunk of tubing that met the same specs from McMaster-Carr for $4.50 and whipped up my own. EE03B3EB-CF9E-46B7-8385-F0AB9E13823B.png FC8B2002-4B53-47A9-9D87-2E81044E7FBA.png 63F9C7AE-0BB4-4117-A918-92EF039EF199.jpeg 57EFB902-64E7-4045-ADB7-B82BEFB090E5.jpeg 8C8F1060-8BF9-4030-B263-1700D30B8EFF.jpeg
 
Sep 25, 2017
73
67
18
Now that I had the isolators I could set the engine height. Starting with a cardboard template and measurements from the 800. There was a lot of trial and error in the beginning but finally I was able to nail it. 3 Identical mounts ready for the next step which is engine placement. 67BF973F-62B0-4C61-B07C-FFBBA2A4ABF1.jpeg 5BDBFA24-BE7B-4E37-B768-D545C8D4BCA1.jpeg 66850A2E-F541-4F9C-B1BA-7FE9074C613A.jpeg F9933C69-63DB-4D10-ADA6-7124BF615AAC.jpeg C7C31F51-1966-49E8-9EF3-2E8EB18664D1.jpeg B486E57C-9080-40C1-AE26-E5E9F2B3AA0F.jpeg 95F4E25A-B0C1-4F21-9512-F5B4280F327E.jpeg C7545C9E-C111-42C9-BACC-12F1D99514D9.jpeg AC85AC3D-B16E-4045-AFD0-E60E0789C010.jpeg
 

Attachments

Sep 25, 2017
73
67
18
I had a friend machine me up these cool little slugs that were the same specs as the rubber isolators and caps the hope was to allow me to get the motor perfectly placed without battling the movement of rubber parts. 94C6268E-C682-42B3-97A0-0190C2B9F057.jpeg CA270573-6694-46B8-B53B-98B53A01DE10.jpeg 6EE4E058-EDDE-478D-91D5-610380AD6042.jpeg 1A039032-7919-47C0-9B3E-3F912606DB04.jpeg F3A27BA1-6933-456B-AEEC-0AC1C5075ED6.jpeg
 
Sep 25, 2017
73
67
18
Using the old skidoo racers guide I was able to align the clutches to spec. I’m very happy with the results. I wish I would have taken more pictures during the process but I was focused on getting it just right. Only a few minor tabs and mounts left and all of the Chromaloy fabrication will be done and ready for final welding. 0E36A52E-73A7-4AAE-AF2A-64F9D785F9C7.jpeg F5E26CFA-7B76-44C4-8124-980123F2C255.jpeg DC7F2B8D-003A-46B9-B7E7-5F2F493BB880.jpeg 7BBBE02F-4E9C-42DF-B021-1595BE3ABAEB.jpeg
 
Sep 25, 2017
73
67
18
Quick update. After building the motor mounts I ran into two issues right off the bat, first being the drag link was contacting the mag side motor mount before reaching full lock. A little massaging with a grinder and rebuilding a new bell crank with a longer arm I was able to turn lock to lock. Then after sorting that issue I found my steering post would hit the mag side carb. Instead of rebuilding or modifying the post I opted for a set of TMX flat slides. I now have plenty of clearance between the carb and steering post. 865D5968-E7C6-424A-A642-4A46F08CAE21.jpeg 33F01829-6F93-4F69-AE0C-788F33E8FB62.jpeg BC5F50E0-5156-4606-9C7E-BCB8250D5713.jpeg 7DB7F382-975B-4D91-885B-75C908CF29DF.jpeg
 
Premium Features