• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Zollinger Tube Chassis Restoration

J
Jul 21, 2022
USA
Yes, I've still been slowly plugging away at this build. all of the material is cut out for the new tunnel and the rear Kodi cap section has been bead rolled again. This time around the tunnel skin is 3 main pieces rather than a solid bent channel with holes cut into it for the taper. While this means slightly more welding I believe it will allow for a much tighter fit, especially in the upper corners. The plan is to fit all 3 panels into the chassis and then weld them while in place. I have talked to a friend who has a high frequency machine which should allow for better heat control. I did also pickup the seat from upholstery a few weeks back. In other news, I've started a Facebook page that is focused on similar content and builds that I am working on. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100087845196952
View attachment 403502View attachment 403503View attachment 403504View attachment 403505
Looks nice ! Great build

X
Oct 8, 2009
I got an update that he started on it back on 9/5/23 he was having some trouble with the arc wanting to wander due to the waterjet cut edges so he took a break.
Any updates for early 2024? I don't have Facebook, or I would check out your channel over there.

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Any updates for early 2024? I don't have Facebook, or I would check out your channel over there.
Nothing unfortunately it's been a hard thing for me to navigate as I really want the best possible product on the tunnel skins so I've not wanted to rush him as he's doing me a major favor by doing this on the side of his already full workload being a business owner and dad himself.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Nothing unfortunately it's been a hard thing for me to navigate as I really want the best possible product on the tunnel skins so I've not wanted to rush him as he's doing me a major favor by doing this on the side of his already full workload being a business owner and dad himself.
I get that. A perfect tunnel is worth the expense since it is so visible. If you have the original tunnel, you have another option. You can call Chad Rebek and ask him if he would build it for you. That is what he does at CR Racing in Canada. Obviously, you probably know of Chad's work. He is the best in the industry at building custom tunnels. If he believes in the project and is willing to help, there is literally nobody better. But, he has to have something to work with. Obviously, he cannot start from nothing.

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
I get that. A perfect tunnel is worth the expense since it is so visible. If you have the original tunnel, you have another option. You can call Chad Rebek and ask him if he would build it for you. That is what he does at CR Racing in Canada. Obviously, you probably know of Chad's work. He is the best in the industry at building custom tunnels. If he believes in the project and is willing to help, there is literally nobody better. But, he has to have something to work with. Obviously, he cannot start from nothing.
I don’t have the original. I do have the new one cut out and it’s fitted into the tube structure ready to be welded. Hard part is getting it from Utah to BC. 😂 I plan to reach out to my friend soon to see if there’s anything that can be done to expedite the process.

X
Oct 8, 2009
I don’t have the original. I do have the new one cut out and it’s fitted into the tube structure ready to be welded. Hard part is getting it from Utah to BC. 😂 I plan to reach out to my friend soon to see if there’s anything that can be done to expedite the process.
I understand. Shipping the tunnel is easier than you may think. You just need to figure out how to cut, shape, and tape several boxes together to enclose it. And, what packing material to use. Chad shipped my tunnel to me and I had the same question. Turns out it is just a large lightweight package that ships the same as a small one. Tough choice since you are relying on a friend. If you have it laser cut out, then you can call Tim at Jagged S Customs in Oregon. He is a master at welding lite gauge aluminum. He does it all day everyday. He got into powersports starting with oil tanks for the nytro and that evolved into custom tanks and production for YXZs. Chad is full service, but time is very capable as well. Not pushing you in any direction. Just giving options if you want some.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Here is the oil tank I worked with Tim on that he made for my viper. You should also consider calling vent racing in Layton. If you do, ask for Dekon. He does great aluminum shaping work. He formed a custom aluminum piece for the custom tube chassis section on my sr viper. A heavier gauge generates a better final product. But how you design the sections in cad matters too. Dekon usually refuses to work on sleds, but if he is willing, then you are set. You will have to wait for his off-season which is in the fall, and you will need to provide the tunnel materials mostly pre cut. A benefit is that you can drive the chassis there for him to fit it into the tunnel.

20240126_170303.jpg 20240201_225046.jpg

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Here is the oil tank I worked with Tim on that he made for my viper. You should also consider calling vent racing in Layton. If you do, ask for Dekon. He does great aluminum shaping work. He formed a custom aluminum piece for the custom tube chassis section on my sr viper. A heavier gauge generates a better final product. But how you design the sections in cad matters too. Dekon usually refuses to work on sleds, but if he is willing, then you are set. You will have to wait for his off-season which is in the fall, and you will need to provide the tunnel materials mostly pre cut. A benefit is that you can drive the chassis there for him to fit it into the tunnel.
I will reach out to Tim and see what he says. I have used Dekon in the past, he punched the louvers in my clutch covers. It was quite difficult to get him to do it. I think the only reason he accepted was it was relatively simple and I used a mutual connection as leverage.

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Not the most fun update, This week I had picked up the chassis and tunnel skin (unfinished) some of the parts came back pretty rough. We're going to try and save them but it's possible that I will be starting over on the tunnel skin again...

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Pictures of the skin after picking it up and re-mounting them. There are a couple of small pieces missing that will need to be remade but overall I’m hoping that Shad will be able to save this one. The idea of starting over (again) just doesn’t sound like something I’m wanting to tackle. At least not right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    687.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    918 KB · Views: 21

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Yikes. Should still be able to weld through that. Beads might just be a little wider in those spots where they melted the holes.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Not the most fun update, This week I had picked up the chassis and tunnel skin (unfinished) some of the parts came back pretty rough. We're going to try and save them but it's possible that I will be starting over on the tunnel skin again...
Why? What happened?

Premium Features