• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who's getting new gear for the season??

V
Jul 13, 2009
western washington
So far...

"04 Polaris 800 Edge, 159 Stepchild OG powder board. Need a base grind on the 192 Rad-air Tanker, wanna build a new splitboard this season. Way out wish list has a Pogo Wingergun 189 on it but $1400 plus shipping outta Europe really puts me off.

New boots!!! Evo was having a massive sale, then released a coupon that I stacked on the sale price. Super cheap! These boots are heavy as **** though, we'll see how they do soon enough. The big plus is the replaceable soles since my boots get so jacked up on the sleds.

I swapped out the Rossi power strap for my old Langes cause it was super thin and gonna break within a month anyway. Now I just need a little work done to the left boot to accommodate my slightly larger foot. Next up is some new touring bindings and a subi to replace my old one.

PIC_0231.jpg

R
Mar 16, 2010
New to me sled, 05 RT1000/162", new pair of Pon2oons, new snow tires, new locking diff for the tow vehicle, homemade ski rack for the new sled, Float36, just need snow.

Locking diff huh? What rig, and is it 2wd or 4wd?

I just finished installing a new rear end and new transmission in my new tow rig (97 chevy heavy half ton) and it uses some sort of locking differential. It's a 14 bolt, I'm kinda curious to see how it handles in the snow coming from always having an AWD car.

R
Mar 16, 2010
Eaton Lock-Right in a 2wd 1-ton Ford van. I've been towing with it for 4 years now (owned it for 6 or 7, bought sleds 4 seasons ago). It does surprisingly well in snow - here in CO, the airport shuttle companies that service the ski areas all used Ford 1ton vans - figured they must be good. They are. I use studded tires & carry chains; typically only have to chain up on FS roads/parking lots. Only had to use chains on public roads a couple of times, and that was in Denver after 3 or 4 2' storms in a row (Christmasish 2005?).

That said, when I _do_ need to chain up, it is a pain in the butt, and 95% of the time, I found myself thinking a locked rear would have been enough. A couple of times last year the locker would not have been enough by itself - driving up to the Buff Pass lot after ~11" in town, 18" at the lot, first one up the road - needed chains for that no matter what.

I'm curious about snow behavior, too - the internet is largely of the opinion that lockers are "scary" in snow. Dunno about that. I can control when it locks, and as long as it is predictable, I think it'll be fine. I drove it on a pretty slick snowpacked road last weekend, I'd have gotten there with the open diff, but with the locker, it was _effortless_. So far, dry roads are 100% fine, and low speed ice/snow traction is greatly improved - the big question is snowpacked, icy, 40-50mph I-70. With the open diff, the van was absolutely fine in those conditions - I can only remember getting wheelspin once or twice in the time I've had the van (used it for skiing before sleds), typically at the Eisenhower tunnel, typically in traffic going 5mph. Highways are not normally an issue.

Dunno. If it spins both wheels, it steps sideways. It already did that, it just does it more with the locker (intentionally lit them up last weekend on the snowpacked road, it stepped out, no surprise, lifted, it tucked back in. No big deal). It is just a matter of predictability, and basically, as long as there's torque on the crosspin, the diff is locked. It can't unlock if there's torque on the crosspin. No torque, open diff. So, basically, be gentle with the throttle on slippery surfaces, and if it DOES lose traction, the rear end will slide downhill.

We shall see. Hoping the roads get snowpacked tonight, but the forecast is not looking good for that. Worst case, I put the spider gears back in & save pennies for an ARB. IMHO, a _good_ limited slip is going to behave exactly the same way - I just don't buy that the locker is going to magically lock and unlock as you're driving down the road.

R
Mar 16, 2010
I've driven ~500 miles on the locker now - I like it a lot. I can't hear/feel it, it has absurd drive-traction on icy, nasty trailhead lots, and it's daily driving manners are absolutely great, dry roads or snowpacked.

It is good.

snokaw

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
www.mhallmtbsnow.blogspot.com
RalleyTuned, I looked at the Jones boards and they look great...if you get one let us know what you think.

For me, transportation on the snow and to the snow.

Brand new left-over M8/162". The mods I did were, 2 wheel kit, 2010 Cat seat, 3" riser and ice-scratchers. Took the wind-shield and snow-flap off and it's ready to run. I use an X-Rack to transport my board on the sled.

Bought a new Ford F150 EcoBoost to cut my gas costs on the trips. Used to drive 3/4 and 1 ton pick-ups. I'm getting about 4-6 more MPG & it'll haul a 10,000 pound trailer. The F150 has the 6'-6" box and the Max-Tow package, the sled pops right in. Mods are, set of BFG E-rated All-Terrain tires on after-market wheels, Bull Bar on the front, shallow tool box so the sled is pulled all the way forward in the box, the sled skis fit under the tool box.

M

miralas

Nov 27, 2010
Bozeman, MT
The new owner of our outdoor shop told me he'd hook me up with a split kit for wholesale to help get the scene kickin around our area so I'm gettin a jones mountain twin split, some spark burner lt's, and the voile essentials. Also I'm just goin to name drop a little but have any of u guys looke into on3p skis? my best friend scored a job there last season and the have great quality skis. When I was first in the factory they had a huge blem pile and i thought they ski's must delam or something of that sort and I asked the owner about them. He said they were all ski's that just didn't come out to his standards. They blemed them for any small reason! Like if the edge grinder took off to much meat in a area that wouldn't even matter after ur first day of shredding. Enough talk about them just figured I'd see if anyone has tried them out.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
A buddy down in Portland has them. He seems to like them. They are made in Portland I think.

They do hav chicks pillow fighting on them?

M

miralas

Nov 27, 2010
Bozeman, MT
yup they r just coming out with that top sheet this year. if i remember right those ski's r ridiculously wide, definitely made for fighting the big mountain pillows. just learned that one of those chicks was 6 weeks pregnant, but they all looked like nice ladies to me.

Premium Features