• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice needed on what to do with stock clutches

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
TRS is the real deal. I hope you got the alignment bar. A lot of the sleds are coming way out of alignment from the factory. The TRS puts in perfect alignment.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
While I definitely highly recommend TRS on clutching.
Carls Cycle in Boise makes a good kit for the 850 if you’re on a budget and don’t want to re shim and all that. Not sure about shipping to Canada though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
If you want something that has been tested all over BC. (Revy, Blue River, Valemount and Mcbride.) I can help you out. I own Altitude power sports and can help with geardown and clutching option for your riding style, weight and elevation you ride out. No adjusting necessary. Just install and ride. Can reach me at 780-619-6872. Cheers, Ben.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
If you want something that has been tested all over BC. (Revy, Blue River, Valemount and Mcbride.) I can help you out. I own Altitude power sports and can help with geardown and clutching option for your riding style, weight and elevation you ride out. No adjusting necessary. Just install and ride. Can reach me at 780-619-6872. Cheers, Ben.
Thanks Ben, I already ordered TRS kit. Ill reach out on my future upgrades.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
TRS is the real deal. I hope you got the alignment bar. A lot of the sleds are coming way out of alignment from the factory. The TRS puts in perfect alignment.
The kit comes with the alignment bar. He also added a 2nd set of weights for the times we ride 9-10k. Lots of shims in the kit so I think I’ll enjoy tinkering on it. I almost enjoy that as much as riding.

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
Never hurts to get clutches balanced. I feel they run more efficient and last longer. Indy Dan has done my last 2 primaries.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
That was my initial thought as well, full PCC work over. Then the wife said we had some trips to plan and my sled fund shrank. I do want to add a new track so no addition clutch work.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
That was my initial thought as well, full PCC work over. Then the wife said we had some trips to plan and my sled fund shrank. I do want to add a new track so no addition clutch work.
If it was me, and what I'm doing, skip the lightening and just get the clutches balanced by TJ. That is $200 instead of $800. You could do the primary and secondary balance and machine work to lighten without the carbon and titanium for $400. Maybe you seen his options, but if not:

Clutch Service Form

E

Eatstone

Jan 23, 2021
East Kootenay
If it was me, and what I'm doing, skip the lightening and just get the clutches balanced by TJ. That is $200 instead of $800. You could do the primary and secondary balance and machine work to lighten without the carbon and titanium for $400. Maybe you seen his options, but if not:

Clutch Service Form
That’s an option… but if I’m going to go through the hassle of sending both clutches to the US I will spend the $800 for the complete work. Damn slippery slope.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I would just drop 2 grams on the primary clutch weights. Look at the factory clutching chart in your manual. It tells you what to change for that elevation..

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
FYI-weights $200
Spring-$50

Both do the same thing except just changing a spring saves $150.
Up to you.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
@TRS, what are your thoughts on the above comment? I barely understand clutching, but I know that spring and weight changes don't have exactly the same effect. Maybe for a small change, such as this, it doesn't matter.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Good point and also correct. I shoulda said for 95% of clutching this strategy will work. Turbos may need more help. I don’t recommend buying adjustable weights for na. It’s a scam.
I use them all the time for the N/A because I can dial the rpm exactly where I want it for the speed I am riding. I like to stay just under the exhaust valve opening rpm for cruising and it pops to life very quickly when I grab a handful. Stock clutch weights don't allow this fine tuning and springs are not available for that kind of fine tuning.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You, my friend, are in the 5% of sledders that knows what you want for clutching/shifting. For all others, adjustable weights are a scam.
So saying 95% of sledders don't know what to tune for makes more sense than discrediting the product design. Are they going to know what spring to choose?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
So saying 95% of sledders don't know what to tune for makes more sense than discrediting the product design. Are they going to know what spring to choose?
10lbs spring force=100rpm. Easy peasy!

Last edited:
Premium Features