• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who doesn't use avalanche gear.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
This topic is obviously heavily discussed already, and I only read the first as last page as I already know whats in the middle. BUT thought id speak my mind anyways.

I recently moved to a area where I didnt know anyone so I needed to find people to ride with, the day before I went for a ride I asked the guy if he had all his avy gear, he made it sound like a stupid question since he obviously had all his stuff, LIKE EVERY SINGLE RIDER SHOULD HAVE. Ive only actually met one person in my life that refuses to use a beacon, I dont ride with him.

Another thing, if you choose not to ride with a beacon on, sure, go for it, heck itll suck if you get caught in one and die but it was your choice. BUT, if you even for one second think about riding in an area where OTHER people could get caught in an avalanche then you owe it to them to be prepared so you can save their lives. Most of the people I have met on the mountain have all been really good people, and I expect that they would have my back without me needing to ask, because thats what good people go.

If you can have someone elses death on your conscience and known that you could of done something to help with as little as a one time investment of about $400 for a probe and beacon (you should already have a shovel) then by all means dont wear avy gear, but also announce yourself to anyone you see and make sure they know to stay away from you.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
More snowmobilers drown every year than die in avalanches.
Where is the outrage about the need to wear life jackets while snowmobiling?

If you don't pack an inflatable raft so you can help rescue someone who falls through. then I'm not gonna ride with you!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
More snowmobilers drown every year than die in avalanches.
Where is the outrage about the need to wear life jackets while snowmobiling?

If you don't pack an inflatable raft so you can help rescue someone who falls through. then I'm not gonna ride with you!

Out west? I bet this is more of a flatland issue as I hear about it a lot in MN, and not so many avalanches here. LOL

Funny you should bring this up because when I'm riding here in the midwest I have a set of ice picks on me (replaces the beacon I carry out west) and a throw rope in my tunnel bag (which has actually been used to pull someone from the ice that went through). And while in your mind I'm sure you think I'm some annoying dweeb :face-icon-small-win the guy we pulled out of the ice that day was perfectly happy with me being one. :face-icon-small-ton

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
And while in your mind I'm sure you think I'm some annoying dweeb :face-icon-small-win the guy we pulled out of the ice that day was perfectly happy with me being one. :face-icon-small-ton

It's all good,
as long as you don't wear a helmet on a bicycle.
I don't care what anyone say's, that's gayer than a pecker sweat fart!

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
They see me rollin'.....
506bc53f15e94074db6f3f7a6ed9cc12.jpg

Premium Features