• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who doesn't use avalanche gear.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm just curious if we are in the minority not wearing beacons or any avalanche gear for that matter. Usually ride Tog, snoweys, or big horns. Been going for 5 years now. We got our main 4 guys that usually go but have been with 3 other groups that didn't wear em either. I read a lot on here about avalanche gear and get why a lot of you are passionate about it. We ride trees mostly and stay off the big hills. Is avalanche gear even necessary if you are not climbing, and just staying in the meadows and trees.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You don't have to be on a hill to be in avy danger.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
what if this were the last guy in the pack
after watching this video i ware my gear all the time
take a minute or to to view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfBSwuG8Ls

These guys aren't "hillclimbing".

What if the buddy wasn't there to see it in person and dig him out?

What if the filmer was 30 seconds behind (or the buried guy was last in line)... he could have ridden right past him.

cmxuser

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Scott to bad you talk more than you listen. You could probably learn something.

D

dootime3

Feb 10, 2013
So is there a video out there about avalanche avoidance, what exactly to look for. Everything I find just tells you to take a class and get the gear. Does no good when there is no classes in my area the rest of the year. Like a Mike Duffy class on video.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
There is no reason for this thread to become more divisive.
Some never use gear,
some occasionally use the gear,
while some always use it.
No need for anyone to turn this into a pissing match.

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
This will be my 3rd year snowmobiling. I think I had ridden my sled 5 or 6 times before I got invited to go ride with some buddy's that live in Montana. Heck ya, I spent a week back there having the time of my life. I knew what a beacon was but didn't have one and thought I'll just stay off the big hills (I was kind of a puzzy anyway). Guess what? I didn't get caught in it and had no clue what had happened tell it was over. About 20 feet to my right is where it stopped (I was behind some trees) The snow where it stopped was about 25 feet deeper than it was the last time I rode right there 3 minuets before. That scared the chit out of me... The rest of the trip was uneventful but I was way more cautious after that. I made it home safe and sound.

A week later I got a call to inform me that two of my buddy's that I rode with got caught in an avalanche and Brian didn't make it. I was in shock for a couple of days. I then ordered 4 beacons, 4 probes and a couple more shovels. My brother and 2 nieces are worth way more than the cost of that stuff to me. My brother offered to pay me for the stuff for him and the girls. We split the cost. I hope it was a wast of money and we never use it. 3 or 4 rides a year I stick my beacon in a plastic bag and hide it under my shovel (buried) and have them find it. We do not leave the truck without them on and checked to make sure they work.

My friend that died was wearing a beacon but they didn't get to him fast enough. I'd rather have every advantage i can.

Just my story, you guys stay safe out there

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott to bad you talk more than you listen. You could probably learn something.

And Merry Christmas to you too. If you only knew me.

I've done A LOT of listening and learning. That's why I gear up. Tell me what you've listened to? Share what you've learned about avalanches that I need to know?

Too bad you are turning to other tactics and making this personal. I guess you've run out of points to make.

Last edited:

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Since I occasionally do not wear my gear I will go ahead and answer with some questions myself...
Who wears a seat belt while in a vehicle every time?
Who wears a life vest while on the water every time?
Who wears a helmet while riding motorcycle every time?
Who wears a helmet while riding bicycle every time?
Who wears a harness while working above 8' every time?
Who wears safety glasses when appropriate every time?
Who wears hearing protection when appropriate every time?

Unless you can say "yes" to every above question, you have no business questioning anyone else about when they choose to or not to take reasonable safety measures.

And if you can say "yes" to all above......well you're an annoying dweeb!

Avi gear or not, THE most important piece of equipment we have to stay alive is between our ears, one poor decision when riding and we can lose our life or a friends Avi gear or not. A group of intelligent decision makers will stay alive Avi gear or not, A group of poor decision makers can lose their lives Avi gear or not.
The decisions we make about the terrain we are riding on any given day determine the safety or not, our Avi gear if needed proves we our our group made a bad choice. The truth is some guys without gear are capable of intelligent decisions that will allow them a lifetime of mountain fun without consequences. Many or most of us push the envelope and expose ourselves to greater risks due to the terrain and conditions we play in. I wear my gear because I choose to play in terrain where I or my group might need it. Many don't play in the same terrain and are at way less risk without Avi gear than those of us with Avi gear in more complex terrain.
Yes, we need to educate all who are playing in Avi terrain, those who choose not to can survive just fine without the gear.
My two cents.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
So is there a video out there about avalanche avoidance, what exactly to look for. Everything I find just tells you to take a class and get the gear. Does no good when there is no classes in my area the rest of the year. Like a Mike Duffy class on video.

Yes, there are many good ones out there.
There was a great video posted about the current snow conditions at the time last week.
I think it was on Vimeo, posted by Utah Avalanche Center. I'll try to find it for you.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Go to UtahAvalancheCenter on YouTube.
I haven't watched all of these but there are several good ones that come up quickly.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Here is the one I was looking for. I watched it a couple days ago.

He goes through it quickly, but he performs a couple versions of a stability test.
Here is a shovel sheer test and a column test.
https://vimeo.com/149608634

Last edited:

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
DOOTIME3,
If you want to get your buddies interested, as you seem to want for yourself, then go to EBAY. Type in avalanche beacon. First page has two beacons. One for $91 the other for $25. Now you have a play toy for you and your buddies. Play hide and seek with them. If YOU want it then start somewhere. Think of it as a X-mass present to your self. Good luck and stay on top.

Premium Features