• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who doesn't use avalanche gear.

D

dootime3

Feb 10, 2013
I'm just curious if we are in the minority not wearing beacons or any avalanche gear for that matter. Usually ride Tog, snoweys, or big horns. Been going for 5 years now. We got our main 4 guys that usually go but have been with 3 other groups that didn't wear em either. I read a lot on here about avalanche gear and get why a lot of you are passionate about it. We ride trees mostly and stay off the big hills. Is avalanche gear even necessary if you are not climbing, and just staying in the meadows and trees.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I'm just curious if we are in the minority not wearing beacons or any avalanche gear for that matter. Usually ride Tog, snoweys, or big horns. Been going for 5 years now. We got our main 4 guys that usually go but have been with 3 other groups that didn't wear em either. I read a lot on here about avalanche gear and get why a lot of you are passionate about it. We ride trees mostly and stay off the big hills. Is avalanche gear even necessary if you are not climbing, and just staying in the meadows and trees.

Your group is GREATLY uneducated when it comes to this subject. I strongly suggest you guys take a avalanche safety coarse, there are many free ones out there every year.

To answer your question, you are very much in the minority. Eric

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Don't get me wrong , not attacking or bashing... just a serious subject

We had a fatal slide here that killed 1 and buried 2 others. They where on the flat and triggered the slide from 1,500 ft away... not one of them was on the hill. It ran 300 ft into the flat at a meter deep.

It does not take huge terrain to create and fatal slide.

Trees don't prevent slides, once you start looking at the stuff that slides you can often find slides that the trees are the trigger points.

I hazard a guess that you already have a shovel , add a probe, and you won't even notice your beacon.

More than your life , do it for your friends. Nothing I can imagine worse than staring at a slide knowing a friend is buried and I was too cheap and lazy to learn how to save his life.

Take a class and get the gear.

D

dootime3

Feb 10, 2013
I knew I would get hammered on this. I've been concerned with it since I first went west. On the other hand we've never even seen a old slide. We are older guys that don't climb or high mark. Togwotee is where we ride most of the time. I've asked people at the lodges if they wear em and I have to say most of the time the answer is no. Not saying they are right.

D

dootime3

Feb 10, 2013
what if this were the last guy in the pack
after watching this video i ware my gear all the time
take a minute or to to view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfBSwuG8Ls
Holy s***. Were they on a trail. One reason I think we were never to concerned about wearing any beacons, is because when you see most avalanche videos people are on big hills we wouldn't even consider. This video scares me.

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofKDfNjJsEQ

Here is a video from an avalanche fatality last season at Cooke City Montana, just off the trail, in fairly flat terrain, it was triggered from below, and buried and killed one person, so stating you don't ride in avalanche terrain, is not always the case. Pick up a couple of videos from Mike Duffy, or better yet, take one of his safety classes, some are often free courtesy of Ski Doo
http://www.firstplaceparts.com/avalanche-backcountry-skills-dvd-2.html

http://avalanche1.com

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I don't wear one and I'd say 90% of the people in my area don't either. I guess it depends a lot on the area you ride in. Slides where we ride are a rare occurrence. If I rode in wide open, steep mostly treeless area's I probably would. Life has risks, you choose which ones you can live with and which ones you can't. Do you guys wear your avy gear when driving up the mountain? Why not you could be hit by one. Maybe you need to watch some videos of avalanches going over hiways;)

B
May 13, 2009
Holy s***. Were they on a trail. One reason I think we were never to concerned about wearing any beacons, is because when you see most avalanche videos people are on big hills we wouldn't even consider. This video scares me.

ive worn my beacon ever cense i watching that video
its just a pair of batteries in the end
yes on the trail the bank broke when he went off the trail

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Another scenario...

So what are f you were riding and saw someone else in the distance cause a slide and get buried...wouldn't you WANT to help?!? The beacon isn't always for you.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I don't wear one and I'd say 90% of the people in my area don't either. I guess it depends a lot on the area you ride in. Slides where we ride are a rare occurrence. If I rode in wide open, steep mostly treeless area's I probably would. Life has risks, you choose which ones you can live with and which ones you can't. Do you guys wear your avy gear when driving up the mountain? Why not you could be hit by one. Maybe you need to watch some videos of avalanches going over hiways;)
Really is $200 worth even the remote risk of losing your life? Ive seen slides on hills that are 100ft tall. I always wear beacon, airbag, probe and shovel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Most of our group have beacons.
Not real diligent about wearing them.
If others wear theirs I will wear mine, if not I am fine without it.
We are adults and know the risks, so we don't need a sermon from anyone.
That being said, the best advice is buy the gear, learn how to use it and use it.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Well.... If you aren't the type to spend a lil bit of money you probably aren't the type to learn how to use them probably. I think both choices are irresponsible.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I usually do not wear avy gear anymore. I have a pack, probe, shovel, beacon and it stays home unless we are going somewhere I consider an avy risk. I am perfectly comfortable with this decision having spent over a decade riding my areas. I definitely do not need a sermon on this either. The BEST protection is using your head.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
What would your wife, kids, or grand kids say. I own a piece of equipment that could save my life but I sometimes choose not to wear it. I want to come home at the end of the day.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Understand the objective is to "read" the terrain and minimize the potential for a slide in the first place. But even so, I refuse to ride with others that do not have beacons, a shovel and probe. Without them, they can't save my life and I can't save theirs. I was caught in a slide east of Togwotee Mount Lodge 7 years ago along with a buddy of mine. 150 ft tall, wind loaded hill. We didn't know the signs to watch for. We were not wearing beacons (his was at home, I took mine off). When the slide stopped I was partially buried (arm and head out), so I could get myself out. My buddy was completely burried about 2 feet under. Thankfully a ski was sticking out, and a local guide passing by who came to help knew that he would most likely be within 20-30 feet of the sled. (Everything that starts together most likely comes to rest together). They found him with probes and he survived. With the right equipment, we would have found him sooner. Without a knowledgeable person coming by with the right equipment, he might not be so fortunate.

After numerous classes and field work, I'm as prepared as I can be. Yet, I hope that I never have to use the skills for real, whether its my friend, or someone that I stop to help because they didn't take the time, or spend the money, to maximize the odds that they will make it home that day.

Compared the amount of money spent on machine, riding equipment, trip costs, food/drinks, etc - $300 for a beacon is nothing.

When beacons first came into the snowmobile industry, there was a business in Cooke that rented them. when asked why they do that - the reply was so that they could locate an avalanche victim after the accident and send the body home so that the family could have closure. Thankfully many mountain riders are taking safety more seriously. It might save your life .... or the life of someone you know.

Last edited:
C
Dec 24, 2014
The flip side of course is that guys like you make me really nervous and I am not interested in riding with somebody who feels they need to be geared up so thoroughly. Clearly it is seen as a license to look for trouble in the mountains by most.

In 15 years of riding these mountains we have NEVER had even a partial burial, or even a close call. It has been several years since I have even seen a sled set off a slide and that was a first timer in our group, and his last time in our group...

If I am riding in unfamiliar terrain or a group I do not know I carry my gear. If I am with my group on my mountain, I don't. I also make choices during the days ride to avoid dangerous situations. Nothing to prove and I can come back and ride pretty much whenever I want so no pressure to make a climb or a move anywhere. We just go for fun and have weeded out the big risk takers.

It isn't about the money the gear costs because we all own the gear. It is about using your head in the back country. Your avy gear is only a marginal insurance policy. Too many things can happen in a slide for me to consider such devices of much help beyond body recovery. Best to avoid those kinds of places in the first place.

If you can't help yourself, better ride in a geared up party and have the heli on standby....

Premium Features