• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What track do I need mountain riding?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
1) Find a track..144 ~ 155 pref.
2) Re Gear and Clutch according to polaris manual ... closer than guessing
3) Tunnel Extension if needed..
4) search threads for dial in tips,!! search swap meet for parts !

5) Go rip tater chip !

The first time I went out west I was on an 02 600 with a 136x2. Fell in love with it and upgraded to a real mountain sled.

If I was you, I would go out west and leave your sled as is for now. See if you like it out there. If you do (odds are youre gonna never want to leave) don't dump money into extending your track, just upgrade to a real mountain sled. That way, if you dont like it, your sled is still set up how you want it for riding back home.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I dont have any good pics of it on my phone and the sled is off in storage, If you Google 2009 polaris switchback 600 and click images the first pictures ( sled is red ). it is the exact same and is alot better picture than I have, tunnel looks like it is the same length as mine, my sled is fully stock.

So not the model I was thinking of with the too long tail extension but from the pics you can drop a 144 in with no tunnel extension.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Even if I was just to extend to a 144 ( extra 4 inches of track on ground ) it doesn't seem like that much, would I still need to do all the clutching and gearing? What would happen if I didn't?

even if you didn't chage the length or lug you will still need to chage clutching for going up in elevation. you loose something like 30% of your power on the mountain so you need to use less weight and spring pressure or you wont be going anywhere

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Just another voice of reason. Bring your sled out. Have fun. If there's EPIC snow, and you think it would be more fun to ride something big for a day, rent something for the day.

I rented a 136/600 my first time out west. It was FAR more capable than I was. The next year I rented a 121x2", then a 136x1.25 550RMK. All three did fine. (I was light too!) The first sled I bought was a 570 (fan) Cat, which had a 136x1.3" track. I rode that thing EVERYWHERE, and it was fine. (I was about 140lbs at the time.) I wasn't high marking liquid sleds very often, but I had a LOT of fun!!

If you like ditch banging, and you don't ride a lot of trails, and your track is getting worn, go to a 1.5" track, but other than that, just bring it out and ride it. With you weighing 110lbs, you'll probably run circles around most of the 200lb guys riding 153 800's, who are telling you you'll never make it on a 136. :)

The first time I went out west I was on an 02 600 with a 136x2. Fell in love with it and upgraded to a real mountain sled.

If I was you, I would go out west and leave your sled as is for now. See if you like it out there. If you do (odds are youre gonna never want to leave) don't dump money into extending your track, just upgrade to a real mountain sled. That way, if you dont like it, your sled is still set up how you want it for riding back home.

Agreed^^^^

In my opinion, you would be wasting you time and money upgrading a short track 600 to be a better mountain sled. It will take you and endless amount of time, tinkering and money to get it even close to a factory built mountain machine.

You have 2 good options.

First, bring your sled 'as is' (maybe a jetting change if it's not injected) and ride the heck out of it. If you can't keep up with your group, rent a mountain machine for the remainder of your rides. After your trip, if you decide mountain riding is for you and you want a real mountain machine, take your short track home and sell it, then buy a factory long track.

Second, leave your sled at home and rent a long track for the entire trip.

Trying to convert your current sled into a mountain sled is spending good $ after bad. You'll ruin a perfectly good trail sled that no one will want to buy. The newer mountain sleds are better than you'll ever get a converted trail sled to be.

Premium Features