• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What track do I need mountain riding?

S
Jul 8, 2015
I live in an area that doesn't get much snow so i purchased a 2009 polaris switchback 600 with a 136" track with 1.25" lugs, perfect for ditch riding where I live. But I am thinking about going out west ( Either Montana or Wyoming or something like that). I am wondering if my track will do okay, I don't weigh much (110 lb, yeah, I am pretty small) or should I get a deeper lug track for my sled, and how deep of a lug can it take? Or should I get a extension to a 144" to a 151"? or maybe I should wait till i get a new sled? I need help. Thanks in advance

C
Dec 24, 2014
For your size and the sled I vote for a 144x2". That will get you about anywhere.

Or get into a Pro chassis 600 144/155 or 800 155. Those are much better mountain sleds than what you have, no mods needed.

S
Jul 8, 2015
Has anybody on here ever tried a 136" track in deep snow? I am just wondering if you stick a large paddle on them do they work somewhat??

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
Has anybody on here ever tried a 136" track in deep snow? I am just wondering if you stick a large paddle on them do they work somewhat??

I remember when a 136" was a long track :face-icon-small-hap

It really depends on what your riding party has. If you are riding with a bunch of 155+ 800s they will not be happy you came along :face-icon-small-coo. If you are all flatlander 136s you will all have fun, just wont get too high or too deep. Remember to lift with you legs!

My first trip West was with my 144 SBA 800 with a 2". My buddy had a 136" 600 gade with 2". He had a blast and is hooked, but now has a 155 800 RMK.

Last edited:
C
Dec 24, 2014
^^^ Agreed!

Sure you can get around with a 136x2, it will be better than what you have, just not great. Expect to run that thing WOT like you never have if you get into some powder.

When I first moved to Colorado from Minnesota over a dozen years ago I have a couple short tracks. I Converted my '97 600 XCR to a 136x2 and the '98 Indy 500 to a 121x1.5. Fun in the company of other short tracks, a drag if you have to try and keep up with 800 155's, as mentioned.

C
Dec 24, 2014
If you are going to buy a track, buy a 155x2 and the extensions. Rail extenders are cheap and easy, tunnel extension requires rivets, but still not a huge project. The 600 will run that track my buddy has two 155 600 IQ sleds. That will get your 110 lb butt around with the 800s everywhere but on the big climbs.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
IIRC, we used to ride the mountains with 121" tracks and steel skis and had plenty of fun, with barely half the horsepower.

Run what u have and decide after the trip/s.

Maybe it is our poor timing but about 50-75% of time a 136 would work fine, esp for someone your weight.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
IIRC, we used to ride the mountains with 121" tracks and steel skis and had plenty of fun, with barely half the horsepower.

Run what u have and decide after the trip/s.

Maybe it is our poor timing but about 50-75% of time a 136 would work fine, esp for someone your weight.

Some of my best memories of snowmobiling were on a sled with a 114" track. I remember when the Phazer came out it was quite a mountain sled.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
If I were to put an extension on would I need to do anything to the chaincase??

yes, I would drop a gear. you will also need to change clutching. if you like how its set up for where you are I would suggest renting out west. 250ish a day depending where you are visiting compared to a 400$ track, 100$ tunnel extension, 250$ in clutching, 50$ in gearing, scratchers, and finding rail extensions? I think ce components had them for 150 on ebay a few years back?
all prices are estimates!

all though doing all that work youd have a pretty sweet sled in the end

I came from the flat lands and rode a 121 2" on a 99 600 mxz for years. I wouldn't be any kind of nervous having a deeper lug for the flats

Last edited:
S
Jul 8, 2015
yes, I would drop a gear. you will also need to change clutching. if you like how its set up for where you are I would suggest renting out west. 250ish a day depending where you are visiting compared to a 400$ track, 100$ tunnel extension, 250$ in clutching, 50$ in gearing, scratchers, and finding rail extensions? I think ce components had them for 150 on ebay a few years back?
all prices are estimates!

all though doing all that work youd have a pretty sweet sled in the end

I came from the flat lands and rode a 121 2" on a 99 600 mxz for years. I wouldn't be any kind of nervous having a deeper lug for the flats

Even if I was just to extend to a 144 ( extra 4 inches of track on ground ) it doesn't seem like that much, would I still need to do all the clutching and gearing? What would happen if I didn't?

Last edited:
U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
depends on a lot of factors, such as:
1. who are you going to be riding with? If its a bunch of other short trackers you'll be fine.
2. what time of year are you planning your trip? January is usually deep snow, probably won't get to far. April is set up snow, hook up-go anywhere snow.
3. What part of montana wyoming or idaho? 8-9k elevation or 4-6k elevation, big difference.
Do some research into the area you want to go and the timing, plan accordingly.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
one more thing, your 600 will spin any track you can get under it. I build a 600 mountain cat with a 162x2.5 camo extreme under it. I does amazing with my wife on it, and she is 1.5x you.

M
Dec 28, 2014
Minnesota
I'm also a flatlander. Took my 04 REV 800 121"x1.75 out to Island Park. Rode with the guys (154"+ sleds) for the first couple days. Then I rented a 155 Doo. Night and day difference. The next year, I rented and left mine at home. Now I have a 137" x 1.75 and would like to stretch it to a 146 x 2 or 2.5 for out west. Your stock track would be fine for packed trail and some off trail (not too steep). I am a bit larger than you (6'1" @ 255#).

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
So much depends on how much snow there is, what time of year and where you are riding and with who. What you have now may work fine in March but may not in January. I have been to places where everyone was getting stuck no matter what you were riding and I have been riding
where the 121x1.25's were doing just fine. Before investing a lot of money and time I would think about changing the clutch weights, take what you have, and as others have said, rent a sled for a day then you will have a pretty good idea. $.02
Stay safe and have fun!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
You'll want to do clutching regardless of track going from low alt to high alt, so might as well pick up a bigger track first and only doo it once.
Put up a pic of your sled. I recall a couple models of switchbacks that had a longer tunnel extension then needed for the track size.
Going to a 144 isn't much addl length and you may get by fine without a tunnel extension.
You got a god platform and drivetrain and the shorter, 144-151", older 2.86 pitch tracks are cheap and dime a dozen used.
Order of ops if I was doing it, find a deal on the track I want, then get rail extensions, then clutch kit and gears for the track and alt (don't mess with hit and miss experiments IMO get the parts from a knowledgable shop), then tunnel extension if needed.
You can get away with a little longer track IMO if you lose the snowflap and add scratchers.
Or plug n play a 136" powder track and clutch for the altitude. I've run a 136 700 rmk a lot of places as a much heavier rider than you.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
So much depends on how much snow there is, what time of year and where you are riding and with who. What you have now may work fine in March but may not in January. I have been to places where everyone was getting stuck no matter what you were riding and I have been riding
where the 121x1.25's were doing just fine. Before investing a lot of money and time I would think about changing the clutch weights, take what you have, and as others have said, rent a sled for a day then you will have a pretty good idea. $.02
Stay safe and have fun!

But you can ride a bug lug track in low snow but it's real difficult to run a trail track in deep snow. At least get a big lug 136 IMo even if you do nothing else but re clutch per factory spec for alt.
Finding the right deal and selling your existing track can cut costs significantly.
for the cost of 2 days rental, you can buy all the parts you need to make yours a pow sled.

S
Jul 8, 2015
You'll want to do clutching regardless of track going from low alt to high alt, so might as well pick up a bigger track first and only doo it once.
Put up a pic of your sled. I recall a couple models of switchbacks that had a longer tunnel extension then needed for the track size.
Going to a 144 isn't much addl length and you may get by fine without a tunnel extension.
You got a god platform and drivetrain and the shorter, 144-151", older 2.86 pitch tracks are cheap and dime a dozen used.
Order of ops if I was doing it, find a deal on the track I want, then get rail extensions, then clutch kit and gears for the track and alt (don't mess with hit and miss experiments IMO get the parts from a knowledgable shop), then tunnel extension if needed.
You can get away with a little longer track IMO if you lose the snowflap and add scratchers.
Or plug n play a 136" powder track and clutch for the altitude. I've run a 136 700 rmk a lot of places as a much heavier rider than you.

I dont have any good pics of it on my phone and the sled is off in storage, If you Google 2009 polaris switchback 600 and click images the first pictures ( sled is red ). it is the exact same and is alot better picture than I have, tunnel looks like it is the same length as mine, my sled is fully stock.

Premium Features