• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is a good Drone for Sledding?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Anyone have experience on what might be a good drone to take along sledding?

I did a search, and was not able to find any info on this subject.

Maybe the cold is too big of a deterrent for this . . .?

I am looking for one that will autonomously / continuously track a person without having to constantly "fly" the drone. Is that even an option?

K
May 18, 2017
Norway
The batteries drains much faster in the cold, but if you buy a DJi drone they have kit’s with 3 batteries. I used a DJI Air 2 and the battery lasted for 15-20 minutes in the cold. And about 30 minutes in warm weather. The tracking was really easy. You can mark an object an the drone takes care of the flyging and tracking. The drone keeps up with the driver up to 70km/h

M
Jan 8, 2022
Sanford MI
I have a DJI mavic 2. no trouble flying in the cold... but snow/rain is an issue because motor windings are exposed- Almost all drones have a feature called"follow me" start drone, set at an altitude(like 50ft) above and behind you and the drone will follow once you tap on the command on the control panel. I'm not recommending any particular brand-I started w/ a $150 Walmart and loved it so much I moved up to a Very nice Drone .The DJI can shoot in 4K but most devices (lap tops-I pads -phones) are not fast enough to take advantage of the superior drone camera. so I generally record in 1080p 30 or 60 frames per second-Watching results on a large flat screen is breath taking! I would recommend an online chat room to get your questions answered- there is a learning curve but it will become an additional love/hobby

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I currently have 3 drones. The DJI have a follow me feature but I have never been that impressed by it or obstacle avoidance.
The Skydio is absolutely amazing as far as that goes.
My biggest problem is the conditions need to be pretty perfect to warrant digging the thing out; low winds, no snow, etc., and in conditions like that it is hard to make myself take the time to set things up. Then there's always the time no one thinks of to sort through and edit the footage to make something worth watching.
I guess I just don't have the patience anymore, lol.
Here is the only vid I actually took the time to edit from a Skydio. Notice how it avoided the trees. Even flew under some branches.

Skydio video

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I fly a DJI Mavic 2 and carry 3 spare batteries.
Flight time IS LIMITED in COLD TEMPS.
but carrying all the spare batteries seems to solve most of the issues.

I think I am going to be selling the Mavic 2 and upgrading in June though.
Perhaps to a Mavic 3 Pro.

Premium Features