• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo overheating

B
Feb 3, 2017
So I have been experiencing problems with my 2023 turbo overheating the turbo itself. The engine temp and belt temp are fine both below 125 degrees. The snow has been deep. Any suggestions? Does anyone make venting or an intercooler? My 2020.5 never had this issue but my 2022 Polaris boost also overheats and bogs way down. When this happens N/A sleds fly right passed me. A turbo sled should out do a N/A all day especially in deep snow. 2 minutes in the deep snow and these turbos fall flat.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Ok, is the stock muffler on it?

These doo turbos kill it, so I dont know how you know the turbo is overheating.
Did you take the hood off and check to make sure the boot tubes are all attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Feb 3, 2017
I had a light turn on and gage said turbo overheating (cheap gage) HP dropped way down. I took it apart on the road and the turbo was extremely hot. As soon as it cools down its good for 2 minutes then overheats again. Everything is stock. Boots are all on. This only happens in deep snow breaking trail. Typically its a monster with less then 3 feet of fresh. At first I considered the gas as an issue, but I've been filling at the same Chevron gas station for 20 years with no problems. This sled has 600 miles on it with this being the only issue.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Water cooled turbo? Here I thought the steam coming out from under the hood was melting snow. I better bring mine in and make sure.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
I’ve not looked the G5 over but I assume your exhaust goes out the bottom and not a tunnel dump… check and make sure the snow deflector ahead of the exhaust exit tip is not bent or missing. It allows the exhaust to escape freely, if it’s not in place or functioning properly it can restrict the exhaust flow and create a back pressure therefore excess heat..?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
this is my ‘23. the ‘21 service manual labels what I’m pointing to as a “cooling line” the other end terminates into a metal body with a much larger hose (I’m guessing cooling) attached.
just looked at the service manual again and read the turbo section--the turbo is water cooled.
coolant flows from the cylinder head to the turbo and empties into the smaller of the two coolant tanks (filler neck) the G4's had.
another interesting thing the service manual mentions is to let the engine idle for 30 sec before shutting off to allow coolant to flow thru the turbo to cool it down.

B09B68CD-79C4-4D0A-B1DA-C6B7A1B4F6A2.jpeg

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
this is my ‘23. the ‘21 service manual labels what I’m pointing to as a “cooling line” the other end terminates into a metal body with a much larger hose (I’m guessing cooling) attached.
just looked at the service manual again and read the turbo section--the turbo is water cooled.
coolant flows from the cylinder head to the turbo and empties into the smaller of the two coolant tanks (filler neck) the G4's had.
another interesting thing the service manual mentions is to let the engine idle for 30 sec before shutting off to allow coolant to flow thru the turbo to cool it down.
Yep they are water cooled but I do not see a sensor on the turbo, when lookI found a issue.
The G5 the new oil line insulation started cutting that hose on my sled.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Yep they are water cooled but I do not see a sensor on the turbo, when lookI found a issue.
The G5 the new oil line insulation started cutting that hose on my sled.
good info, i'll check mine out for that prob.
'21 service manual shows no sensor on the turbo itself.

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap

It's a theory of mine that the gurgling or bubbling sound that you sometimes get after a shutdown is coolant boiling in the turbo.

Premium Features