• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooling

T
Lots of threads on cooling so this got me thinking (and I'm completely new so I'll understand if this wouldn't work, has been tried and didn't work etc) but...

Could the radiators be boxed in, fans on both temp controlled, and the boxes air/vent be snorkel like to avoid snow (so pointed out of the way and backwards away from the direction of motion)? Basically this is a bit like my tracked ATV that, slow as hell but like a tank, never gets too hot or cold even on the coldest days or warmest days.

Just a thought. I see a few people adding the cooling system that sleds use. The downside with that seems to be a) overheating if snow isn't being kicked up (at least for deep powder sleds - my buddy's sled heats up on packed trails - he puts scratchers down to kick up snow to help cool but it still can get very hot - then again it's an 850cc 2-stroke) b) vulnerable to debris - again my buddy's brand new sled ended up kicking up a small rock crossing a tiny creek in a waterbar (deep but early snow days) that took out the coolant line.

My idea/solution probably won't work but seems like a (to my naïve soul) possible solution.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
thewwkay, yes anything you can do to help coolant stay a consistant warm temp and the rads shielded from the cooling affect of snow and cold air will result in much improved temp control. controling the air flow with a fan will give good control. the reason it is so hard to control temps is that a cold rad will result in a cold engine even with the thermostat closed. the cold coolant in the rad will fall into the engine and suck off the heat. it is called convection. we could operate without a waterpump under the snow on rads or cold air flow we experience in snowbiking. the reason the tunnel cooler results in more consistant temps is most of the convection is eliminated. we need the pump on a tunnel cooler set up.

Sooo, yeah box them in and control the deep temp drops and coolant temps will be much more consistant.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I had the selkirk engine armor and to a certain extent that is what that does. It kinda boxes in your whole engine. No fan , but it has somewhat of an open front for air to the rads and a small heat exchanger.

Worked good everywhere except going up the trail. The constant load on the engine for a long time (sometimes 30-40 minutes or more going uphill) without good consistent air flow or snow hitting the bike it would get too hot. I had to stop and take piece of the armor off and use my hands to pack snow inside on the engine several times on the way up.

Maybe the right amount of fans would move the air? I think you'll be fiddling with it a lot trying to get it right. Not a lot of room around the rads, so it isnt going to look very pretty.

I got the XRT heat exchanger and it works great. Yes you have to run the scratchers for the trail. I personally think heat exchangers are the best solution.

Premium Features