• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Comparison Article

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Not sure how many of you have checked out Powerbuggies but I've enjoyed reading a few of his articles. This article really applies to all brands but I didn't really see a good generic mod/boost place to post it, maybe someone can suggest one. At any rate there is some good info on the different components of the system and how each compares to one another. The turbo whistle had me rolling, I didn't know that was a thing.

http://powderbuggies.com/want-add-boost-turbo-kit-buyers-guide-2016/

I was a bit surprised Aerocharger wasn't on the list. I've always been curious how the variable vein compares.
http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/snowmobiles/polaris-axys/

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Thx for checking it out! I'll keep adding to this as time goes on.

FWIW, I did mean to add aerocharger. Had it in draft form, published for you guys.

Have a lot of other stuff slated for the queue on the site, so keep checking back!

EDIT: We'll also add more in depth reviews as time goes on, ideally we'd like each and every one of these products thoroughly tested (1,000 miles). Give us time! We just launched late this fall!

Last edited:
G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
You're the man Jeff

"In the words of Ferris Bueller, “if you have the means, and I hope you do, she is so choice”. "

I laughed out loud.
....but probably not as loud as their turbo.

Good work. The info on articles like that and forums like these help idiots like me who don't know a damn thing about anything.
Thanks.

T
Sep 10, 2009
Jeff, Cool article! It looks like you put a lot of time into it.

I just skimmed through the Silber and Mtntk sections and found some information incorrect...

Silber is not the only manufacture that does not use a fuel controller... Mtntk also does not use a fuel controller. They provide a bullydog with the kit for you to re-flash your own ECU, instead of sending and waiting for the ECU to get re-programmed. The bully dog does not need to stay hooked to the sled.
Mtntk also does not use an oil "mist" system. It dead heads at the turbo.

Regards,
Travis

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

I just skimmed through the Silber and Mtntk sections and found some information incorrect...

Silber is not the only manufacture that does not use a fuel controller... Mtntk also does not use a fuel controller. They provide a bullydog with the kit for you to re-flash your own ECU, instead of sending and waiting for the ECU to get re-programmed. The bully dog does not need to stay hooked to the sled.

Regards,
Travis

Apologies Travis!

To be clear, can a person unplug the Bullydog from the sled and still have the sled run properly?

T
Sep 10, 2009
Apologies Travis!

To be clear, can a person unplug the Bullydog from the sled and still have the sled run properly?

Yes, the bullydog is only NEEDED to reflash the ECU. It plugs into the diagnostic port while you power the ECU up with a 12v source. Once the reflash is done, you can disconnect the bullydog. Everything is handled in the ECU.

If desired, you can leave the bullydog connected and use it for reading sensors, but it is not waterproof.

-Travis

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Yes, the bullydog is only NEEDED to reflash the ECU. It plugs into the diagnostic port while you power the ECU up with a 12v source. Once the reflash is done, you can disconnect the bullydog. Everything is handled in the ECU.

If desired, you can leave the bullydog connected and use it for reading sensors, but it is not waterproof.

-Travis

This is true... All though we have one that has been running it on the dash with no issues.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Now I know there is a license fee for the BD unit to be set your your ECU/VIN, is that cost in the turbo cost?

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca

Regards,
Travis

The oil line does dead head, but some quantity of oil travels through and is "atomized" into the intake/boost box/throttle bodies. I'm guessing this is considered a "mist" system.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
The oil line does dead head, but some quantity of oil travels through and is "atomized" into the intake/boost box/throttle bodies. I'm guessing this is considered a "mist" system.

I could be clearer but this is what I was getting at. There is no return line however they claim their injection is different than the competition and does not create the "drag" of dead ending the oil line to the turbo others do.

Is this real? Is it notable? I don't know. I think we're really splitting hairs in the first place when we are arguing turbo lag is a result of over-oiling, especially on a properly warmed up machine.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
As posted in another thread, they are not doing that anymore. It is 100% identical to the silber and boondocker kits now.

On the pro kits they routed the oil into the center section and then from the center section into the intake tract before the compressor. They no longer do that because some riding styles were leaving pools of oil in the intake and never getting back to the motor.

Also, 8 psi on pump gas is at 6000'.

And the boost controller is mechanical, not electric.

Not trying to nit pick but just making sure your information is accurate is all.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
As posted in another thread, they are not doing that anymore. It is 100% identical to the silber and boondocker kits now.

On the pro kits they routed the oil into the center section and then from the center section into the intake tract before the compressor. They no longer do that because some riding styles were leaving pools of oil in the intake and never getting back to the motor.

Also, 8 psi on pump gas is at 6000'.

And the boost controller is mechanical, not electric.

Not trying to nit pick but just making sure your information is accurate is all.

What has been said in the past is , even with dead heading oil can work past the seals...
Now is this true with the BW turbo? I dont know.

Take a look in there and see if there is any signs oil?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
What has been said in the past is , even with dead heading oil can work past the seals...
Now is this true with the BW turbo? I dont know.

Take a look in there and see if there is any signs oil?

HM has data logs showing 5% slower shaft acceleration to using the mtntk/bd/silber oiling method vs traditional standalone oiling on an EFR turbo.

Yes oil works past the seals. If it didn't you'd cook the oil and the bearings wouldn't last long. Testing has shown the majority of the oil seaps through the exhaust seal so very very little is entering the intake tract.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
This is true... All though we have one that has been running it on the dash with no issues.

Just FYI after a season or two good chance it will ruin the hdmi port into the bullydog.
The bullydog itself can handle the vibrations the hdmi connection to the circuit board inside not so much. I now have to hold mine in the "right" spot

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Just FYI after a season or two good chance it will ruin the hdmi port into the bullydog.
The bullydog itself can handle the vibrations the hdmi connection to the circuit board inside not so much. I now have to hold mine in the "right" spot

Thanks for the info, we have a hole coming through the dash so it is not angled or able to move much but I understand.

Last edited:
Premium Features