• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track speed vs. track length

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Wow...thats all!? Pfffftt thats nothing to worry about then haha. Thanks for posting!

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Let's be honest here, Oregon gets a handful of DEEP bottomless days each year, most the time it's not that deep, atleast not deep enough that a 146" would keep you from going anywhere that you wanted if your a decent rider that is. I have a 155" and I have more days that I know I could be on a shorter track then I do wanting a longer one.

So far this season we've had about 4-6 days that were deep enough to jusitfy a 174" but the rest you could have been having a blast out on a 136" jibbing around, at least me. Personally I'm going to build another sled with a short track 136"-144" for normal days where the snow is only boot deep and spring/summer riding.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Twostroke I completely agree with you. I grew up riding here in Oregon and rarely do I remember seeing snow as deep as I've seen it when I go back to McCall and ride. I think having a 163 over here would almost be boring cuz it would literally take you anywhere you could imagine. I'm surprised there isn't more people over here with the 46 XM's...I think that would be a perfect sled for the OR. riding. If Polaris built an 800 44', that would be my sled.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
If your buying a rmk pro and you trail ride, you might look at the base model because it has the extra cooler and it won't over heat on those cascade concrete days.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I'm a BIG fan of the shorter track sleds, and I live and ride in utah with the dry fluffy deep powder. With that being said, and to give an opinion on your original question about track speed vs. length, a shorter track obviously can turn a higher track speed than a longer track with all other things being equal. No one can dispute that, and adrenalineaddict may be correct that on two stock machines one being 155 and the other being 163 it is only a matter of 1 mph difference. Remember that with a longer track you are also heavier (and we all know just how important weight is on a sled). So here is my opnion on what to do, get the shorter track sled. It sounds like most of the time the shorter track is just fine with the snow conditions not being really deep and fluffy. If you are ever dissapointed that you cannot climb quite as high as the longer tracks in deep conditions, put some money into a big bore or a turbo and then you'll have the best of both worlds. With the added power you'll be able to climb anywhere the longer tracks go because now the difference will be much more than a 1 mph track speed difference which WILL get you there (trust me that it does make up the difference), but you'll still have the shorter track for lighter weight, manueverability, better jumping, and you won't have the "school bus" behind you.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
I appreciate your post Mjunkie but the short track + turbo is when this comes to mind:

I have heard that once a track reaches speeds above 70 it is less "traction" and more "purpolsion".

If it's in the deep deep snow, to me there would be such a thing as too much track speed to where it would just sink? I think I read somewhere that it comes down to chasis design(which I agree with), but even more-so...track design. I think it is something that the engineers still have yet to furnish us with, but also gives us something to look forward to. Cuz a 14x track that climbs like a 63 and boondocks like a 55 sounds GREAT to me haha.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
Not to throw a wrench in your decision but, what about a 146 XP or XM? They are 16" wide. So the footprint is the same if not a little more than the 155". You sounded like you wanted a shorter track originally. The XM is an outstanding chassis.
Just my $0.02's

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I appreciate your post Mjunkie but the short track + turbo is when this comes to mind:

If it's in the deep deep snow, to me there would be such a thing as too much track speed to where it would just sink? I think I read somewhere that it comes down to chasis design(which I agree with), but even more-so...track design. I think it is something that the engineers still have yet to furnish us with, but also gives us something to look forward to. Cuz a 14x track that climbs like a 63 and boondocks like a 55 sounds GREAT to me haha.

Again just my opinion and experience but on my 141 big bore, I never had any trouble going anywhere the long tracks were going even in deep fluffy stuff (usually hi-marking them even a little), and when it wasn't deep fluffy stuff, I was having an easier time going everywhere anyways, and having more fun at the same time. To each his own though, but increasing track speed on a short track can and does make up a lot of difference between the two. It's going to be your sled so of course you can decide on what you want but I don't think I'm giving up anything on a shorter track except being able to go slower in deep stuff. I admit that you have to keep more momentum on a shorter track to keep from getting stuck.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Well thanks for posting your personal experience...thats something that this forum needs more of :thumb:

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Personally, I think JayNelson was spot on with his observations. I've ridden them all at one time or another, brands and lengths. Track speed advantages are not myths, neither are track length advantages. As noted there can be disadvantages to both as well. When you are long in the tooth like me, one good stuck that could have been avoided by having a longer track is worth it. Believe me, it will save you some stucks having that extra track length somewhere along the line. May not be often, but, will happen. As Jay said, if your a heavier rider, go longer. If you need to go a little slower to pick that line or adjust to terrain, go longer. If you are a skilled, lighter rider and go shorter, you'll be able to run with us "older, heavier guys" that went longer.:face-icon-small-win LOL!!!

S
Feb 14, 2009
Lynchburg, SC
Quite a few years back I bought a 06 900 SBack 144" from an Uncle that moved up to a 700 Dragon 155". My wife wanted a sled so we picked up an 04 600 SBack 121" I think, It was light and she could start it easily. We ride in the mountians in ME around Rangely and Oquasic* sp. We were working our butts off keeping up with the guys in the deep powder, we both only had the 1.25" lugs. My wife was amazed about how great a rider her uncle was, practicly nothing stopped him. Then my wife found a hidden stump at 15mph and stopped her dead, messed her up and the IFS on her machine. So to be nice her uncle let her ride the Dragon home while I limped back with hers. Oh was she pissed once she found how easy he had it with that Dragon! Now she rides a 08 RMK 144" with 2" paddles nothing stops her now except full grown trees. I put the same track on my sled I love it! worst thing now is I am just short of 100 mph on the lake 'cause the added weight. but I wouldn't change it back that's for sure.
God Bless Americia

O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
I agree with the purpulsion after 70', had my turbo stuck a cpl times, just got pissed and held it wide open and once it comes up ontheboost and gets spinning it would take off, don't recommend standing anywhere near the track cause it will throw **** everywhere lol

Premium Features