• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time for the 159” to make a comeback?

Track size

• 146 / wannabe kesterereke, friends dread him

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 155 / white truck w/white oakleys mandatory

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • 165 / pow days only, offended by spring snow

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • 159 / big brain things

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • 174 / minimum 8 pack on board, more if sunny

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Khaotic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I ordered the e start... can you take off the ring gear without balancing the clutch??

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yes,and there 3" was a "156, there 3" 163 was actually a 162

I have a 650 146 that I'll ride on not so deep days, but if I only had one sled no way would it be a 146. I actually went 165 on my boost this year. Last boost was 155. I'm usually the leader / trail breaker just easier on the bigger track.

Did he determine what was officially old? Back in the edge rmk era I blew my union bay 900 159 up one trip and rode my daughters 600 144 vertical escape that I brought for a spare the rest of the trip I actually had a lot of fun on it. Just dating my self. ?
I rode my "Vertical Escape" a couple months ago while I was working on my "new" old 163. It's a 600/144 with Escape shocks and quite a few other goodies. In dense and/or crustier snow, it's more fun to ride than the "new" sled and still goes most places I'd care to. I feel like I have to keep the track spinning, but losing a foot of sled behind you makes it a lot easier to whip around and play with. That said, I do sense we're coming out of a warmer/drier winter cycle, and that might drive people away from the 146. I can't speak for a new 146; a bigger motor, less weight, and better track does make that a lot more capable. Still, what I see in videos is that a 146 is a hoot unless it's really deep, but you'll have to work hard if it's steep, and be pretty limited when it does get deep.

Anyway, I wonder if a realignment of track lengths isn't in order, maybe 151, 161, and 168? I don't think it's practical to offer more than three lengths these days; more than four lengths is going to be a money loser. Not that any particular length wouldn't sell, it's just at a certain point you're costing yourself money to offer more choices and not making back in more sales. For anyone who just has to have an in-between length, the aftermarket pretty well covers it. In the end, what OE offers is kind of arbitrary, within a certain range. I do see good reason to bring track lengths down, given how tracks have gotten better, and with sleds being lighter than when 155/163 became the go-to. If I could afford two new sleds, I'd have a hard time picking between a 146 and a 155 for the shorter one (that's where I think a 151 would be great), but a 163 would still be a perfect choice for the longer one.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I like the e start on mine.

Does it maybe have a single digit percent of impact on how quick this thing revs? Sure. Do I care? No.
Pretty sure a pound added to the primary is more than a single percent.
I get why guys add it to a boost or 850 if that’s what you think you need. But you’re buying a 9r because of the lightweight rotational. That’s the whole point of a 9r. The extra 50cc is not what you’re paying an extra 3k for, and probably sacrificing reliability. Then you add a pound back on the primary?
I used to pay $800 to have a pound taken off my p-85 from Patrick’s custom carbon. Believe me… it makes a difference that you can feel.
I can look past a lot of things, but this is a problem ?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I get why guys add it to a boost or 850 if that’s what you think you need. But you’re buying a 9r because of the lightweight rotational. That’s the whole point of a 9r. The extra 50cc is not what you’re paying an extra 3k for, and probably sacrificing reliability. Then you add a pound back on the primary?
I used to pay $800 to have a pound taken off my p-85 from Patrick’s custom carbon. Believe me… it makes a difference that you can feel.

I get it if you are a small lady or have arm problems but a flick of the wrist for most is all it takes to start these new Polaris sleds.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
OPM. ?

Khaotic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

Thanks for the opinion - I just changed my snowcheck to manual start!!:cool:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i enjoy seeing the difference the lengths make. Although the 146s are usually smaller paddle height so thats lame. I get that they are fun but they are boring to watch on youtube comparatively. and youtube is all that matters anymore. besides tik tok. wheres my phone

Premium Features