• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Full yeti vs. timbersled review

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
buyers be aware

On a road trip to pickup a new kit, Ty and I got around to the obvious discussion about money all aside, were we headed for the right kit.

After a year of lots of new models and new skiis, read'n and riding, the answer is in the snow. So far nothing earth shake'n. Good setup and bike seems more important than kit or 2.5 track. Snow conditions dictate ski performance opinions. Back when I built a new ski a week for my first snow bike, everytime I got it right, I would go out Sat morning to find different snow, my new ski would dump me on my head.

So when the new TS LT was on the snow, the answer was obvious, no one is going to show up on a new brand different kit and blow your axx away.

NOW, they might snow up on a different bike with most any kit and really blow your axx away.

Seems to me good bikes setup for snow trump kits for sale.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Bainan

I'm probably missing something above... but can you clarify for me.

Are you comparing a 2016 Timbersled w/TSS with the 2016 Yeti?

Thank you for such a thoughtful and extensive write up!!

Last edited:
M
Jan 23, 2012
wyomin'
My yeti kit from argyll was right to my door but took longer than expected. And yes the ski sucks in the crust. Takes you back to the original ts or 2 moto ski days . Great everywhere else.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
How long did it take to ship?

And when did you order it? How many hours have you put on it and any comments as to what you've liked about it better or worse than anything else you've ridden? Thank you.

B
Dec 17, 2015
I think that the development of the kit, especially the ski, has a lot to do with the terrain the the kits are developed on. The yeti ski is perfect for deep powder days in Revelstoke, but in areas with a lot of crust, wind, or above zero temperatures, the timbersled ski works very well.

After a couple more weeks of riding in deep powder in interior BC, I have found there is really no comparison between the yeti and timbersled in the really deep stuff. The yeti goes places that the timbersled can't even get close to in the deep dry powder. We actually had to be careful that the yeti rider was looking back to make sure whoever was riding the timbersled wasn't getting stuck since the timbersled simply cannot follow into the places the yeti can get to with very little effort.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The fix is simple for the ones complaining about the Yeti ski .

They over built the ski and can be easily adjusted without sacrificing it's handling in all conditions .

I can't believe you guys haven't figured it out ?

You guys owe me this one .

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
the elephant development

I think that the development of the kit, especially the ski, has a lot to do with the terrain the the kits are developed on. The yeti ski is perfect for deep powder days in Revelstoke, but in areas with a lot of crust, wind, or above zero temperatures, the timbersled ski works very well.

After a couple more weeks of riding in deep powder in interior BC, I have found there is really no comparison between the yeti and timbersled in the really deep stuff. The yeti goes places that the timbersled can't even get close to in the deep dry powder. We actually had to be careful that the yeti rider was looking back to make sure whoever was riding the timbersled wasn't getting stuck since the timbersled simply cannot follow into the places the yeti can get to with very little effort.

Good point being made here. History keeps repeating itself.
The development of over the snow equipment around the country has always struggled with...........well all the different snows/ 100 plus type according to the Finish folks.

Years back the Cat and Polaris engineers would show up out West to ride in the spring and test equipment. Lots of fun, every year the new iron was spot on, great new stuff. But hey guys, this frolic in the spring is not what we ride all year. We had to beg them to cowboy up and come to Montana in Jan and see true 4' dumps of powder.............wow that stalled them out. First two engineers that showed up in Montana in cold dry Jan and a good honest 4' dump and charged out of the trailer in their long track 1000 triples, then stood up on the seat 200' from the parking area with a helpless look on their face .........what ? Oh, then we though they could sidehill in powder along to some good riding area..............woops. back to the drawing table.

Its interesting to read some of the reviews of kits and tracks and skiis. Not everyone has the same experience with the same iron ?
Means there's some idiots out there, not so. Washington concrete and Garnet bottomless sugar and yesterdays intense soaked corn snow, my perfect setup was chit yesterday when I unloaded........not unexpected.

So thanks for all the good work and experimentation this last year. With all the good reviews and experiments its not hard to read and improve your setup.

So does it come down to ferrous or non ferrous this year ?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

what do you contribute the Yeti performance to, Yeti has had failures with Ti bolts and now adding weight and using steel bolts for 2017, looks like yeti and T sled are using the same track, T sled has reduced weight in their skid for 2017 so the weight differences are closer now, The yeti belt drive without doubt is more efficient. Jus curious what you feel is contributing to the difference in the deep?

B
Dec 17, 2015
what do you contribute the Yeti performance to, Yeti has had failures with Ti bolts and now adding weight and using steel bolts for 2017, looks like yeti and T sled are using the same track, T sled has reduced weight in their skid for 2017 so the weight differences are closer now, The yeti belt drive without doubt is more efficient. Jus curious what you feel is contributing to the difference in the deep?

I think the weight difference has a huge effect on the performance, the back feels so much lighter than the timbersled. Also the track is quite a bit different and is much lighter, which when combined with the belt drive make the yeti feel like it has a lot more power than the timbersled. It isn't just the float, it is the throttle response and being able to hold a higher gear for more trackspeed where it counts. I still enjoy the timbersled in the other areas and on non-powder days, but the yeti is the overwhelming choice for the deep days.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I think the weight difference has a huge effect on the performance, the back feels so much lighter than the timbersled. Also the track is quite a bit different and is much lighter, which when combined with the belt drive make the yeti feel like it has a lot more power than the timbersled. It isn't just the float, it is the throttle response and being able to hold a higher gear for more trackspeed where it counts. I still enjoy the timbersled in the other areas and on non-powder days, but the yeti is the overwhelming choice for the deep days.

A group in Russia was hammering down on the Yetis and suggest to Not jump them . I suspect they saw chassis or belt failures, You hear of any failures?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Belt failures are happening... I know of one guy who has had at least 3 and another rider who has replaced 2. The 3 belt guy says he thinks it's from snow ingestion through the belt drive cover. One of the belts looked like it was pulled apart from a game of tug of war... no fraying no sidewall wear.... just force snapped the belt in two.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Belt failures are happening... I know of one guy who has had at least 3 and another rider who has replaced 2. The 3 belt guy says he thinks it's from snow ingestion through the belt drive cover. One of the belts looked like it was pulled apart from a game of tug of war... no fraying no sidewall wear.... just force snapped the belt in two.

I run belt drives on my high HP sleds and they get covered in snow all day, Never broke a belt, The belt drives must stay square in all the pullys, any flex and will be a failure, Although I'm new to snow bikes I have been building Mod sleds with the BD for many years, The belts do last if you prevent the flex,

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I run belt drives on my high HP sleds and they get covered in snow all day, Never broke a belt, The belt drives must stay square in all the pullys, any flex and will be a failure, Although I'm new to snow bikes I have been building Mod sleds with the BD for many years, The belts do last if you prevent the flex,

Just reporting from what I've actually seen and discussed with Yeti owners. We actually have quite a few of them in our Valley and I've been fortunate enough to ride 3 different models now.

O
Jan 3, 2011
To attest to the level of commitment Jamie and the Yeti crew has to their product, they have sent out a complete new kit to remedy this issue. They are fully committed to their product. Not very many, if any companies would do that. After doing diligent research the failure rate on this issue is 1/3 of 1%.

AK1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Anchortown
Dont quote me but the rental guys in Revelstoke had a 146kit on a YZ 450 that goes thru a belt almost everytime it is rented. I was gonna rent it but dint have the time. He stated yeti was sending them a wider belt setup to help but he was just replacing it after every ride. That seems like a pain but at least they were working on it. It looked sweet!!!!!

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The belt issues that have happened are majority from two things. One is improper adjustment and the other was some snow ingestion in the belt cover. The belt cover is now a different material with better cold weather additive as well as a cover that is covered from the belt shroud.

Some have been breaking from guys dropping the clutch under full load with the track stuck. I have heard of some guys throwing a new belt in and just adjusting without ensuring the belt is seated in the cogs if u will. The belt then seats and is super loose and then breaks.

Yeti will now have a 30 wide belt which brings its break force from 4500lbs to 7500lbs for next year. One of the Revy rental companies has been running the 30 wide for 2 months and no broken belts as of now. Yeti works closely with the rental guys because it is a great test bed. This particular company now has 250 combined days on their Yeti fleet.

Yeti will also be releasing all the new kits and updates in the next couple of days. Some very cool new things coming out and some new updated parts as well. Will be good !

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
It's to bad one manufacture really jacked up the driven belt in the winter recreational sport . With multiple problems from to much flexing to out of alignment material . There is to much room for assemble line slop and not enough R&D , the material of the belt has changed at least three times .

By the way these are the same guys that a one ski merged with . Real comforting there isn't it ?

Don't confuse Yeti and C3 Powersports with the mass production . The people that have been using their driven belt system and other high quality driven belt manufactures on their sleds have no complaints . They just got sick of fighting the good battle .

Premium Features