• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time for the 159” to make a comeback?

Track size

• 146 / wannabe kesterereke, friends dread him

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 155 / white truck w/white oakleys mandatory

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • 165 / pow days only, offended by spring snow

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • 159 / big brain things

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • 174 / minimum 8 pack on board, more if sunny

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
So is the Polaris 3.5 pitch track actually a 154?
Yes,and there 3" was a "156, there 3" 163 was actually a 162

I have a 650 146 that I'll ride on not so deep days, but if I only had one sled no way would it be a 146. I actually went 165 on my boost this year. Last boost was 155. I'm usually the leader / trail breaker just easier on the bigger track.

Did he determine what was officially old? Back in the edge rmk era I blew my union bay 900 159 up one trip and rode my daughters 600 144 vertical escape that I brought for a spare the rest of the trip I actually had a lot of fun on it. Just dating my self. ?

Last edited:
S

SLAZYH

Sep 18, 2020
I took my wife's 146 600 Backcountry out a couple weeks ago, and was very impressed with how easily I could get it places, especially myself being 6'2" 300lbs. However, it was classic pnw hero snow.

S

SLAZYH

Sep 18, 2020
I took my wife's 146 600 Backcountry out a couple weeks ago, and was very impressed with how easily I could get it places, especially myself being 6'2" 300lbs. However, it was classic pnw hero snow. I ride a 165. Don't see a need for another track size.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I feel like the 146 is the new 155. In my area there is little need for a 165. I have both 146 and 155. The 146 is so much less effort and pivots so easily. It stays on edge easier too. The longer tracks try to square up and fight being on edge more. You do have to be faster to react and carry more speed/momentum.
I don’t think they are any easier to do bow ties or hop overs on. They don’t always have enough traction to get the ski lift needed. Where a 155 with a 3” lug will pop the skis right out of the snow. They are definitely better for big sends.
I feel like I’m in the older age group myself being 46. I saw a meme that said if people laugh when you fall you’re still young. If they are worried and run over to help you’ve reached the old age. People definitely still laugh at me!
Sledding is one sport that the old guys can still hang with the youngsters. I’d get destroyed by younger guys in lots of sports being my age. I don’t feel like that’s as much of an issue on a sled though.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I feel like the 146 is the new 155. In my area there is little need for a 165. I have both 146 and 155. The 146 is so much less effort and pivots so easily. It stays on edge easier too. The longer tracks try to square up and fight being on edge more. You do have to be faster to react and carry more speed/momentum.
I don’t think they are any easier to do bow ties or hop overs on. They don’t always have enough traction to get the ski lift needed. Where a 155 with a 3” lug will pop the skis right out of the snow. They are definitely better for big sends.
I feel like I’m in the older age group myself being 46. I saw a meme that said if people laugh when you fall you’re still young. If they are worried and run over to help you’ve reached the old age. People definitely still laugh at me!
Sledding is one sport that the old guys can still hang with the youngsters. I’d get destroyed by younger guys in lots of sports being my age. I don’t feel like that’s as much of an issue on a sled though.

How do I like and laugh rate this post at the same time?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You don't ride like an old guy ? You send it more than any of the 20 somethings I ride with! Not to mention out riding most everyone in the group!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I know 146 9rs were hard to get here (sold out quick) last year. 146 probably isnt for me, but 165 definitely isnt for me, my 165 9r pretty quickly became a 155. 146 would be fun some days tho!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

C
Dec 14, 2020
I know 146 9rs were hard to get here (sold out quick) last year. 146 probably isnt for me, but 165 definitely isnt for me, my 165 9r pretty quickly became a 155. 146 would be fun some days tho!

It would be interesting to know the production numbers.

I would bet there were few 900s allocated to the 146.

I still see about 80% 163/165 out on the mountain. I don't even know where the 155s come from as I've only seen 1 in a showroom.

Didn't see a single 146 anywhere last few years.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
You don't ride like an old guy ? You send it more than any of the 20 somethings I ride with! Not to mention out riding most everyone in the group!
I also get stuck at least twice as much as you and Metzger combined! For some reason you guys just took it easy on me and only hit me with a couple stickers. I think you didn’t want to mess up my pretty wrap that’s covering up all the cracked plastic parts under it ?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I also get stuck at least twice as much as you and Metzger combined! For some reason you guys just took it easy on me and only hit me with a couple stickers. I think you didn’t want to mess up my pretty wrap that’s covering up all the cracked plastic parts under it ?

You probably know this but effort and attitude makes the difference. Humbleness is the bonus.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Had a 159 x 15 - 2 inch on my first mod sled back in 2000. Worked great for the time and was able to get very high track speeds in the steep and deep stuff.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
46 is still young. I'm 63 and still hang with the early 30 somethings but man do I hurt every night especially after three days of riding. 53 seasons of riding. I'm from the western slope of Colorado. Peter

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
I have a 155 9R Khaos. I ordered a 146 9R for my wife. With the 9, the track speed is incredible, and it climbs places you wouldn't think it would have a chance. It also has a longer cooler, which I am annoyed that polaris didnt go with on my 9 and my turbo. The short cooler makes no sense to me.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
It would be interesting to know the production numbers.

I would bet there were few 900s allocated to the 146.

I still see about 80% 163/165 out on the mountain. I don't even know where the 155s come from as I've only seen 1 in a showroom.

Didn't see a single 146 anywhere last few years.
Where are you located? Most sleds in central idaho are 155 length id say. Some probably 70% 155s from what im dealer said

C
Dec 14, 2020
Where are you located? Most sleds in central idaho are 155 length id say. Some probably 70% 155s from what im dealer said

Montana. I'm about as far east as you'd want to be though. So it may be different up in Seeley, but the Bozeman/Billings area is where I end up.

D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
I ended up going 146 9R 2.6 for this years snow check. I had some seat time in Jackson and riding at home in the East coast. It’s the most fun I’ve had on a sled ever. Feels like a dirt bike and can still go places your brain thinks it shouldn’t. Will probably toss on a 155 track and rails for our out west trips.
I call it the cheater sled. It’s does all the cool Fu*k boy **** the kids are doing so effortlessly.

I will miss my boost but I’m sick of all the issues I’ve had with it. 9R rips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khaotic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I checked a 146 9r also - had a hard time deciding on e start..
Any opinions on its effects on the 9R??

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I checked a 146 9r also - had a hard time deciding on e start..
Any opinions on its effects on the 9R??
The whole point of the 9r is a snappy fast revving sled. Lightweight rotational is what’s the big part of that feeling. Electric start adds rotational weight to the primary. I wouldn’t be doing that unless you have a real good reason to.

Premium Features