• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tell me what you would have done

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
What does the broad look like?

Yea whats the broad look like??

I have ordered parts from a few dealers.
Castle Mountain - White sulfer - Ordered clutch parts from them Tuesday, got them on Thursday. Awsome service. That and they took the time to let me pick their brain on setups and were happy to do it.

Thunderbolt Harley Davidson - AC dealer in Butte. The owner Rick is a good guy, Same. Call up and they ship the parts out that day or the next. Great Service.

Then you have some dealers that like to rob you blind. Used to ride a Skidoo, ZX chassis, went through a couple trailing arms a year. Got them from a guy in Anaconda M&M Motorsports. All the dealers wanted 140 (Taylor bro's in GF wanted 220), Started ordering them outta Anaconda, 80 bucks a pop.

I will say, that in the service industry, that customer service is key. Most are willing to work with the shop, if the customer service is good.

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
i think some of the reason that car dealerships can have parts overnight is the amount of hubs and just plain old cars out there when compared to sleds. i'm sure that sled man. don't have parts hubs all over the country like auto man. do. just a thought

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
It's understandable that dlrs don't stock every part on a sled for all the machines thay've sold in the last 10 years, but the common parts should be in stock. I'm guilty of buying parts over the internet, but the nearest Cat dlr is 140mi away and the local Polaris dlr not only doesn't stock anything, they sometimes argue w/ you about what parts you need (and these guys don't ride, they're not snomobile enthusiasts. If the parts guy at Tri City told me something I'd listen. This parts guy actually refused to order me clutch partsbecause "that's not what the catalog says goes on your sled." Duhhhhh, they're clutch parts and my sled isn't stock, that's why I gave you spring rates and part #'s.)
Tried again couple weeks ago, went to the Polaris shop for a tie rod end. Nope, they don't have it. I asked to see the rod ends they do have. Turned out they had 4 in stock. 'Puter told him not in stock, yet he had a whole box of misc rod ends not in their bags, most of which would work on my sled. If I didn't need it real bad, I would have told 'em to fffff off.
I do expect dlrs, especially ones up in the mtns to have common front end parts. He!!, I only ride 10-15 days a year and I average at least 1 trailing arm a year. Called the 4 closest dealers to Grand Mesa last month when I wrecked my sled on a trip upthere. Only 1 had a T-arm. None of them had any rods, ends, shock, etc.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
Now, in relation to my last post, I'm not saying it's alright for dealers not to have the fast moving stuff in stock. I know from running an ag parts department, you try to keep what you think you'll need, maybe a little more. Some seasons throw curves at you though. All you can do is do the best to get your customer up and running as soon as possible. The guys I dispise are the ones that you do have it, or get it quick, then they biotch about the price.

M
Nov 26, 2007
billings, MT
Just because you are a paying customer doesn't mean they have to put up with you being an a-hole (which I'm reading between the lines you were). being polite and friendly always gets you better service no matter where you go. You could also be proactive and call first, have them order the parts, and then go pick them up when they arrive.

That aside, if you don't like a dealer, go to a different one. I have a dealer 15mins away that I hate, the people are morons and they never have the right parts. I now drive a half hour to a better one with nicer, more knowledgable parts people, and a larger inventory. I suggest you do the same.

well let me put this bluntly... your not very good at reading between the lines!. i was frustrated not at the woman helping me just at the situation. and good for you that you have another dealer that close. i do not. if i were being an a-hole then yes your right(somewhat) but i wasnt so you miss the point entirley(sp?).

M
Nov 26, 2007
billings, MT
The dealer in reference in Billings is way better than Bozeman, that is for sure, at least on the ski-doo side. My buddies from Bozeman are always calling me for parts when I go over there or they take their sleds to Billings rather than deal with Bozeman for shop work.

The AC side, that is another matter.

oh so there is sides. hmmm? so arctic cat is the bastard child and doo is the golden child. that explains it... im over it now!:face-icon-small-win

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
...Most businesses can't afford to have every part in stock because it costs way too much to buy all that inventory. Online parts are getting real popular, but it's hard on the local dealer, and thats who you should be supporting, or they will close the doors someday and never re-open, and you may need them someday....

When the dealerships start supporting the customers by going to bat against the manufacturer when there are problems with the product they produce - then, and only then, will I want to support the dealerships.

Can't see how I would miss going to a place that has to order in EVERY part becuz they stock absolutely NOTHING and if they closed their doors how that could be bad for me? Our Ski Doo dealership stocks NOTHING!!!! I mean NOTHING!!!! I have had to order parts in for several different model years and they haven't had parts for anything.

They have had all sorts of problems with the new XP's and the dealership employees have been buying the pre-filter material from Ken at Specialty Sleds for their own personal sleds - I was in there the other day and heard an employee telling a customer (with a new XP) how the employees had vent kits with the pre-filter fabric on their sleds, and they could order him some from Ken (would have it for him in about a week) - but they DIDN"T have any in stock! WTF is that?? Sh!tty service, that's what. You're using a product that you are recommending to your customers (that is correcting a poor product manufacturing issue from Ski Doo) and you don't even have it in stock??

This was while I was standing in line waiting for the service attendant to tell me that they would have to order me some new jets becuz they didn't stock needle jets - ????? Huh??? A basic part used for tuning and they don't have it. They have lots of Ski Doo brand oil on the shelf though......

I tried to get a bearing from a dealer in Cranbrook last week - a standard 6205 NTN bearing - like $4 each - you can't tell me that this part is increasing their overhead by having it in stock. C'mon man.........If I had spent $8-10K on a new sled and went in to get a bearing and they had to order it, and I missed a weekend of riding becuz of a stupid $4 bearing, I would be pissed.

And people wonder why I buy my 6205 bearings from NAPA instead of the local dealership. I will support whoever carries the parts that I need to keep my sled running - I get my jets from a motorcycle shop now. Charge me a little more to have it in stock - I'll pay the extra $2 to be back on the snow instead of waiting for my parts. Why do I need to drive across the city to the dealer to have them pull out the Kimpex catalogue and order the same parts I can online?

Sorry bud, not buying the "poor dealer" speech some people on here want me to believe. Don't get me wrong, there are some really good ones out there, but the majority of them are out to make money off the consumer and don't give a sh!t if you have to wait 2 weeks for parts b4 you can ride again.

Sorry, but this issue really pisses me off.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
oh so there is sides. hmmm? so arctic cat is the bastard child and doo is the golden child. that explains it... im over it now!:face-icon-small-win

No, it's on the Doo side also. Before I quit going in there I went in to get a pair of hood straps for my 03 800. You know, the ones everyone has on the sides to hold the hoods down better. Anyway this is a doo item.Guess what they did not have them, we can order them they will be in in a week. OK I say call me when they get in. 2 weeks later I have no call from them. Went in to see if they were there and they forgot to call me, their response no we do not have any. I said did you even order them, they say I don't remember you coming in and wanting us to order them. Yes MTM7 this was the gal you were talking about. Now I call Rogers in Cody and they send it to me or get what I need at Exxon in Cooke when I am there.

S

shmuckaluck

Aug 20, 2001
Federal Way, Washington
I know what you are sayin.

I have deen 86ed from 2 dealers in my area because I was unhappy with the customer service and my sled never working right. I wrote in about it to a magazine, thats how I got 86ed. that was about 10 years ago. If I were thinking clearly and would have waited until I was cooled down to deal with it, I might have done the right thing and talked directly to the owner like a man, but I did it the chicken S. way and now if I have to go to that brand of sled dealer, its a long drive.(did that make sense?) The good thing is that I now order everything on my computer and have it sent to me, there are lots of different sites to go to. Lots of times the owners do not know how bad there employees are at custumer service.

Griz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
find out how to get in touch with the owner of the dealership and tell him/her what you told us.
its the only way to make these kind of employees do their job.

Yes, write to the owner, don't phone him. You almost always get a better response from writing.

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
The dealer in reference in Billings is way better than Bozeman, that is for sure, at least on the ski-doo side. My buddies from Bozeman are always calling me for parts when I go over there or they take their sleds to Billings rather than deal with Bozeman for shop work.

The AC side, that is another matter.

This is funny because I have a buddy in Billings who rides a cat and is always having me bring parts from Bozeman (Pinnacle) when we ride. I get all my stuff there too. They really go out of their way to help. 388-1313

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
My dealer is an AC Yammie dealer (+ Honda etc)
I get my AC parts in 1 or two days. I pay a little extra for shipping sometimes. If I take it in on Tuesday I always have parts by Thursday and sled by thur PM or Fri AM.

Your parts guys are just lazy and waiting to put orders together.

(BTW same thing for my Yammie Rhino or Honda CRF250X) It's just no big deal.

Try other dealers.

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
I don't feel any loyalty to a brand or dealer. I buy used and work on my own. I try to order from Sponsors, but if I need a part, I call first. I don't want to waste gas to hope they have something. Took me 4 days and 3 different dealers to find piston circlips, but that's how it goes. Order online and pay extra shipping if you need it fast. It should pay for the gas.

As for the girl, she doesn't order inventory, take it up with the manager. She doesn't get paid enough to listen to people getting pissed, and if she has a bad attitude, either the boss doesn't care or there is some other reason she is working there. Take you business elsewhere - unless she's hot. :D

This is funny because I have a buddy in Billings who rides a cat and is always having me bring parts from Bozeman (Pinnacle) when we ride. I get all my stuff there too. They really go out of their way to help. 388-1313

My buddies do a lot of business with Pinnacle, for their older sleds since they are AC, but their new sleds are all Ski-Doo and they are not happy with the main shop in Bozeman. They get better service on Ski-Doo in Billings.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
We have 2 dealers around here both about 30 miles from me. The one is a AC, Mastercraft, SeaRay, Centurion dealership with a huge showroom and they NEVER have parts.
The other is a small AC dealership in a resort town, and the owner rents out M-sleds to the tourists. He has everything you can think of as those rentals get beat on. If he doesn't have what I need, I call around until I find it and have it overnight. I always call before I make the drive.

D
Jan 31, 2008
I gave up on my local dealer years ago.Never stocked parts.Helmets and clothes he had lots of but you couldn't get a fuel pump or even a ski bolt without ordering it and it usually took a week!That was if the parts guy remembered to put the order in.The last time I ordered a part from them it took so long I called another dealer.I got the part from the other dealer the next day and even with me paying the shipping it was cheaper!

Premium Features