• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stuck between axys and m series?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
i wonder if Cat is gonna change chassis soon ? next year?
if so it'd be a bummer to get one and then have an years old version something to think about

Axis chassis is here for years

Polaris is a solid two model revisions ahead, Cat still strugles to hang with the Pro chassis, let alone the 2nd yr axys. Im betting Polaris' mountain marketing is lined up and ready to take on a new Cat chassis, theyve already got a jump on Doo as well. Everyones model upgrades come with a marketing plan, Polaris is well ahead of trying to play catch-up at this point. IMO... Maybe im wrong. Competition between them only make it better for all of us!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have had an 11 pro, 13 Pro and 16 Axys. Great rides and each better than the former. I would buy a pro or the ski doo 850 if I was upgrading. One cat in my life was enough. Poor quality was the problem with it mostly.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
...Im betting Polaris' mountain marketing is lined up and ready to take on a new Cat chassis, theyve already got a jump on Doo as well. Everyones model upgrades come with a marketing plan, Polaris is well ahead of trying to play catch-up at this point. IMO... Maybe im wrong. Competition between them only make it better for all of us!

Great observation. Pre-2010, ACAT still had the most loyal repeat buyers, even after blowing up their dealer network. They have simply lost the marketing war, sleds, ATVs, UTVs. Smallest OEM, by far, smallest marketing budget. Dead last in social media presence. Like it or now, social media drives buying behavior with gex X'ers and younger. Couple that with the lowest volume, highest cost (buying engines from Yammy and Suke doesn't help), smallest R&D budget, weakest dealer network, and the new leadership team have a huuuuuge hill to climb. They've offered some great motors, but in sleds it just takes them too long to sort out their chassis and clutching designs, always released too early, and they've lost the momentum. Hope they turn it around, we need more OEMs, not fewer.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Cmon Man

nice quote from a sales pitch and this poo does well.

your sign line tells the motor line fo sho "so I can start building my M-AXYS "
as for motor poo doesn't do this well. the cat chassis if FAR more durable then the Polaris and hands down this has proven over the years with the glued A arms and lack of needed tunnel bracing and bumper replacement. Poo is a great sled but only built for a 2000 mile disposable tin can. as for the motors look for fix kits for the cat and look for fix kits for the poo.

For those who don't know,
Kiliki is the biggest Katlaid drinker I have ever met. I have learned a cubic buttload of sled knowledge from him though to be sure. He is a crack mechanic and he has an engineers insight without the pocket protector and nerdy glasses.
He is in a wee bit of denial though. The cats durability is not exactly far more durable, as I bent and broke my 14 Proclimb w some fairly minor hits. He has a share of bent spindles and A arms in the junk bin as well I believe. Yup, the Axys is built w lighter materials. duh! What I find interesting is everyone in the cat camp says how unreliable and not durable these sleds are, yet so many people buy them again and again. Marketing gets you in the door. (Which Arctic Cat may want to wake the F$$k up) What you experience after that makes you stay. Please stop telling everyone what their Tin Can is and how many miles it will last and focus on beefing up YOUR bumpers. :face-icon-small-ton

To the OP. You absolutely will not be disappointed w/ either sled. They are both terrific and a blast to ride. My preference... I like the Axys. Why? Well... cause its the one I currently own of course :) Seriously though, I think the Cat has a wee bit of an edge on Motor strength over the haul of a long pull. The Axys will lay waste to the Cat on a dead stop pull. For about a sled length. Then they are same same. This is my Axys Belt Drive vs. Cat Chain. 155 vs. 162's. This is important though I believe in the trees when you are on off the throttle.
As far as flick ability and ease of ride/sidehill. The 16's are pretty damn equal, and Ive got seat time on both. I'm more comfortable on the Axys in steep stuff just cause thats what Ive been riding but w/ a few hours on the Cat I am certain I would feel the same.
Fit and Finish is not even in the same ballpark. Axys wins hands down. Ease of access and fitment are huge. You can tell that the engineers spent some time thinking about access and clutch work. I really like the IDD as I have been accused of being directionally challenged! After first couple of times taking the Cat side panels off they didn't fit right. Maybe cause I bent it... Doh! Decals on the Cat are inferior as well. All just annoyances mainly but still...
BTW, I have found the Axys a little harder to Jump well. Im sure I will get a little more comfy going off big air jumps the more time I have, but the Cat is very well balanced in the air. My opinion only. Obviously there are plenty of guys going huge w/ no problems, i just prefer launching the Cat over the Axys.
Enjoy the season whatever you end up with. Cheers :present::present:

Last edited:
A
Nov 9, 2016
Well everyone I pulled the trigger. Thank you for all your responses. I was about to purchase a 16' Axys from a local dealer, but I was shopping around the dealerships in the next city over, and one deal made me change my mind. They had a leftover 15' Pro climb, zero miles, on sale here for a hair above $8,000 USD, and 1 year warranty left on it. 153" 2 1/4 in track, m8000 model. Now considering around here the used ones are going for the same price, I couldn't pass it up. What I'm thinking is that before warranty is up, I'll check on the Axys again to see if I may be able to trade in or something (dealer I bought it from happened to be a Polaris/arctic cat dealer.) Either way, I'm happy with my decision and it means I can go out and RIDE!
thank you everyone for the responses. BTW, my brother in law who had spring checked two new 17 axys',one sled showed up but he was still waiting on his second when the dealer went out of business :face-icon-small-fro so they refunded his deposit and I guess I won't be able to try them out after all :face-icon-small-fro

Oh well, if I knew how to add pictures I would, where is the attachment button!?

A
Nov 9, 2016
a>

a>

a>

This should work!

Last edited:

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Well everyone I pulled the trigger. Thank you for all your responses. I was about to purchase a 16' Axys from a local dealer, but I was shopping around the dealerships in the next city over, and one deal made me change my mind. They had a leftover 15' Pro climb, zero miles, on sale here for a hair above $8,000 USD, and 1 year warranty left on it. 153" 2 1/4 in track, m8000 model. Now considering around here the used ones are going for the same price, I couldn't pass it up. What I'm thinking is that before warranty is up, I'll check on the Axys again to see if I may be able to trade in or something (dealer I bought it from happened to be a Polaris/arctic cat dealer.) Either way, I'm happy with my decision and it means I can go out and RIDE!
thank you everyone for the responses. BTW, my brother in law who had spring checked two new 17 axys',one sled showed up but he was still waiting on his second when the dealer went out of business :face-icon-small-fro so they refunded his deposit and I guess I won't be able to try them out after all :face-icon-small-fro

Oh well, if I knew how to add pictures I would, where is the attachment button!?

So he and Polaris didn't have another dealer where he could pick it up ??? Are you in Hawaii or something ?

You got a Cat from a Cat/Polaris dealer but they are not in the dealer network??
Why can't he get his second 17 from That dealer ??

Your story's don't seem to check out .

.. And your pickle looks old and heavy !!!BTW!

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
What dealership did your brother order from that went out of business?
Alaskanate
BTW, my brother in law who had spring checked two new 17 axys',one sled showed up but he was still waiting on his second when the dealer went out of business so they refunded his deposit and I guess I won't be able to try them out after all

Guy I ride with, his kid is in AK. In the Air Force. Picked up his new 17 800 pro RMK. three days later the dealer was closed (out of business). May be the same one. This one was Maritas Sea n Ski in Anchorage

Last edited:
A
Nov 9, 2016
Yes it was maritas sea and ski. His Polaris was in the crate and the other one wasn't in yet, it was supposed to be in by September sometime I guess they called him and said they will have to ship it to another dealer and didn't know what would happen to the other sled, so they gave him his deposit back. he wasnt able to pick his up then since they legally couldnt sell anything? Not sure. I guess they were giving him the short side of the stick. I told him to just buy some floor models that are marked down at another dealership or maybe work something out with Polaris, and he wasn't really interested. The one that showed up was a lime green 163 I believe

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Awesome!!

That's awesome man. Especially up there in the huge hills of Alaska, I'm sure you'll love riding that Kitty. And to get it for $8k, which, like you say is about where the used market is, that's tough to pass up. You're back riding again and that's what's most important. Be sure to report back as the season goes on.

A
Jan 28, 2010
If your not man enough to ride a fourstroke get the cat, only 2 stroke engine that's proven. Somebody hit the nail on the head about disposable tin can one and done polaris, these sled just don't hold up

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Both have pros and cons. I say go with the best dealers you can find and buy whatever they carry. I am not impressed with Polaris dealers in my are and will be switching rides when it's economical. I have an Axys 800 and while the handling etc. is amazing there have been some issues. I am leaning towards an M myself. For one, I want something with a track lasts at least 2000 miles.

You want a what?... try 2000km.

I'd go with the Polaris... I just came off a Viper.. Same chassis a lot heavier engine.. While the chassis feels awesome and easy to handle the Polaris is so good out of the box. I love the fact I don't need to install boards, I don't need to try to lose weight, the clutching is pretty good, the spool up time for power is just silly. It's a very fun sled.

20160329_223653.jpg

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
If your not man enough to ride a fourstroke get the cat, only 2 stroke engine that's proven. Somebody hit the nail on the head about disposable tin can one and done polaris, these sled just don't hold up

Not man enough to ride 4 stroke?? Really though? That's a strange statement. Men are not allowed to have fun?? These new light weight sleds are so much fun.. and so easy to ride.. you should come down off your perch and try one some day. Maybe you might be lucky enough to find someone to take that Yamaha off your hands!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Alaskanate, congrats! Deal of the year there. Anyone being a doo sh must be jealous they didn't score a brand new 800 for 8000......
Not a lot of tight tree pickin everywhere I rode in ak.
Not saying an Axys isn't a great sled too. I'm on a pro and have a M sitting next to it. Not brand loyal. But flick able and counting ounces isn't as important as power and reliability up there.
I'd have made the exact same choice. I won't spend 4 grand for a few lbs.

Premium Features