• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stock ski pads fix?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I haven't tried the REV snubbers.

Do you have any pics of the backside of the REV snubber?

I'm concerned with the raised ribs in the gripper ski, same as above.

How well do the back sides of the REV snubber and the snubber-pocket of the gripper ski "mate"?

In your photo, The backside of the Doo snubber looks hollow... is this the actual case?

ynypumu3.jpg

Keep us in the loop as to how this works out throughout the season...

Thanks for the heads up.

I did have pics of the backside but never posted and have since deleted them. The backside is not completely hollow but they do have hollow spots. I am sure they squish into the ski ribs somewhat but they seemed to fit fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

snomac

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
I know that some will disagree with our method. But my friend and I put the C&A pro snubbers in. We just trimmed the ribs of the ski a bit and used some leverage to get the snubber in with as tight a fit as possible. We both have about 1000 miles and have loved them every ride. Zero problems, and yesterday we rode in some heavier than normal deep snow where the skis want to go vertical and stop you in your tracks. (this problem we all hate) There were three of us, all on pros, two sleds with C&A snubbers and one with stock snubbers. Stockers had moments of ski going vertical and immediately stopping him and getting him stuck. I was very glad to have my C&A snubbers for sure.

We didn't see any problems with just trimming the ribs down enough to fit them in.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I know that some will disagree with our method. But my friend and I put the C&A pro snubbers in. We just trimmed the ribs of the ski a bit and used some leverage to get the snubber in with as tight a fit as possible. We both have about 1000 miles and have loved them every ride. Zero problems, and yesterday we rode in some heavier than normal deep snow where the skis want to go vertical and stop you in your tracks. (this problem we all hate) There were three of us, all on pros, two sleds with C&A snubbers and one with stock snubbers. Stockers had moments of ski going vertical and immediately stopping him and getting him stuck. I was very glad to have my C&A snubbers for sure.

We didn't see any problems with just trimming the ribs down enough to fit them in.

Which ones, they have 2 different kinds for Pros and the ones I used didn't work very long. I used the ones that are the same as the Slydogs.

S

snomac

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
When I called to order some from C&A last year I don't remember them giving me an option of two snubbers, do they make a thinner snubber know as a direct fit for grippers? Looking at the pictures of the C&A vs the sly dogs I'm pretty sure the one we used is identical to that C&A pro one. We chose to trim the ribs instead of trimming the snubber. We wanted the snubber as thick and strong as possible.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have a '10 RMK which appears to use stock snubber: 5412794

I picked up a set of take-off IQ race skis (never run) and installed on my '93 440 SKS for the kid. It didn't have snubbers but since I had some factory ones in the box I went to install them. They were way too short/shallow so I spaced them up with a piece of 1/4" neoprene I had on hand. I see now that it uses a different snubber which appears to be taller in the fiche. Part: 5412018 (2005 440 IQ part #)

Any chance these might work to get a good snug fit in the Gripper ski?

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
I don't want to piss anyone off..but do you guys understand what is causing the split rubbers? its real simple, hook a strap to a ski eye and lift the sled up with it..you will see what/why it splits and what its trying to do to the rubber. when you hit things that force the ski tip up beyond what it was designed for it tries to compress the front edge of the rubber, and in the process it tries to squeeze the rubber out the back of the ski..on the grippers the way we fix this is to heat both the front and rear walls of the pocket the rubber sets in and then bend them closer togeather(large vice grips are what I use), the rear wall is the main culprit and once you move it forward you will stop having issue until the wall bends back.. this has been an issue since at least the dragons and once we started moving the walls togeather as need we stopped having issues until they got bent back outward..doesn't take much movement to cause it...

Good tip, I'll have to try this with the Grippers on my Nytro.

Powderforlife907

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2011
Well I put on over 300 miles on the ski-doo rubbers and they still look great. Punched through a bunch of drifts and never had a problem sidehilling.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
There may be different part numbers the c&a guy posted use part number 77000266. I would link the post but I'm using my phone.....

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
My buddy just put some new skis on his 2012 freeride so i got his rubbers from his old skis just like in the picture above and they fit great. They are a little tight to put in but i could already tell by pulling on the ski loop that they are much tighter. Ill be trying them out in the next few days.

subseaaddicted

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
PG
just added 2007 REV rubbers to my 2012 Grippers.

REmarkable difference ski actuall stays straight when sidehilling as opposed to my worn out stock ones which would try to fold everychance they get.

super easy install........ just takes a little muscle to get the bolt in

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I removed my grippers yesterday because I felt like the front of my skis were lifting and giving me a weird feedback when I was sidehilling downhill. It felt like I was pushing really hard and then wanted me to countersteer, which didn't help. Anyways after only 200 miles my rubbers are starting to tear. I had my skis in the narrowest position. I believe if you had the spindle centered it would reduce this problem, but the stock rubber is wimpy.

So I ordered the C&A PN 77000266. There are NOT a direct replacement. I tried just for fun to see if they would cram on, they do not.

You have three choices to get them to fit.
1. Either cut the C&A rubber to the same width as the stock width and drop them in.
2. Grind the ski in the center section where the two raised parts are that hold the stock rubber centered.
3. Grind two groves in the C&A rubbers to accept these raised middle parts of the skis.

I ground my rubbers with a die grinder and burr. This was a little tricky to get a straight line. The first one I used a rat-tail file to start with then the die-grinder. The second I free-handed the die grinder and it wasn't as pretty.
I removed as little material as I could in the middle and then angled on the edges as the ski does center dividers do. The front and rear of where I ground is quite deep.

I have attached pictures and will update next week after I get to ride this weekend.

IMG_20140122_150004906.jpg IMG_20140122_150015420.jpg IMG_20140122_150033935.jpg IMG_20140122_150111657.jpg IMG_20140122_150207385.jpg

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I removed my grippers yesterday because I felt like the front of my skis were lifting and giving me a weird feedback when I was sidehilling downhill. It felt like I was pushing really hard and then wanted me to countersteer, which didn't help. Anyways after only 200 miles my rubbers are starting to tear. I had my skis in the narrowest position. I believe if you had the spindle centered it would reduce this problem, but the stock rubber is wimpy.

So I ordered the C&A PN 77000266. There are NOT a direct replacement. I tried just for fun to see if they would cram on, they do not.

You have three choices to get them to fit.
1. Either cut the C&A rubber to the same width as the stock width and drop them in.
2. Grind the ski in the center section where the two raised parts are that hold the stock rubber centered.
3. Grind two groves in the C&A rubbers to accept these raised middle parts of the skis.

I ground my rubbers with a die grinder and burr. This was a little tricky to get a straight line. The first one I used a rat-tail file to start with then the die-grinder. The second I free-handed the die grinder and it wasn't as pretty.
I removed as little material as I could in the middle and then angled on the edges as the ski does center dividers do. The front and rear of where I ground is quite deep.

I have attached pictures and will update next week after I get to ride this weekend.

Actually, I have those same ones on without any modification. Used the 2 x 4 method and have a nice snug fit.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I'm running a set of sidehiller II snubbers . They are slightly taller, much stiffer and require no modifications. They appear to have the same angles as the gripper snubbers.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Are the Sidehiller II wide like the C&A (and Rev) or narrow like the Gripper?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm running a set of sidehiller II snubbers . They are slightly taller, much stiffer and require no modifications. They appear to have the same angles as the gripper snubbers.

Good input.

Though the SH-II skis that I see run the same snubber as the New Grippers. PN

Got a pic of your snubbers them side by side??

Which Sled (year/model) are you talking about for the SH-II skis?

I see that the 2013/14 SB Assault/Rush/Indy use a narrow snubber in the "Pro Steer" skis. The snubber for that is PN 5414375

Here are some drawings from the parts fiche.

PRO STEER RUBBER
attachment.php

Gripper Rubber (and 2006 SH-II Rubber)
attachment.php

PRO steer .jpg RMK Rubber.jpg

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Good input.

Though the SH-II skis that I see run the same snubber as the New Grippers. PN

Got a pic of your snubbers them side by side??

Which Sled (year/model) are you talking about for the SH-II skis?

2004 RMK (all) - I'd have to take skis off to do a pic. Part# 5412018

I backed into it because the dealer handed my the wrong snubbers by mistake one day and I made it all the way home with them so I went ahead and used them. Polaris engineers must have had some reason for changing the design in 2006.

Last edited:
Premium Features